GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tesco Bonus CC PII claim - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesco Bonus CC PII claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco Bonus CC PII claim

Good morning all!

Received a letter regarding husbands Tesco card (see below) basically asking him to fill in a questionnaire to see if he is entitled to PPI refund.

When he came home he said that in 2008 he had called Tesco and said he wanted to cancel his PPI and wanted a full refund of all monies paid as he had been told originally that he wouldn't have a chance of being accepted for the card if he didn't also accept PPI. He since found out that wasn't correct and demanded they stop and refund.

They never did, but they did stop the £13 a month PPI payments.

Now he says he isn't happy about their questionnaire and wants me to format some kind of letter outlining what I said above and that he wants a full refund as soon as possible.

The card was blocked by Tesco in 2011 after I wrote the them begging them to stop charging interest as we couldn't pay it off (at that time it was £1,750) they wrote back saying no they wouldn't stop interest but thanks for letting us know we were poor and that we would no longer be able to use our card now or in the future, please pay off outstanding.

I have been doing just that and have £533 left to pay.... this PPI payment could help towards getting it cleared much sooner!

So... does anyone know what I should write in the letter please? Or should he fill in the Q? Or both?

Not sure when the card was started but it was before February 2007 as the earliest statement I can find is January 2007 (I am thinking late 2005 for some reason). last PPI payment seems to be August 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	tesco ppi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1415442
    Last edited by patchouli; 13 December 2013, 09:58. Reason: added image

Re: Tesco Bonus CC PII claim

the questionnaire will need to be completed and sent back, if they deny that PPI was missold, you then take it to the FOS. Di30 will be able to advise you more than I. But first, get the questionnaire sent off, and don't worry for now too much about what they reply with. But let us know what they do reply with.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you... I dont want them to have our mobile numbers so have put no access to telephone... is this going to be a problem?

Comment

Before you post anything do come back here as these bank enquiries are being used to garner information to draw the PPI saga to an end. Assert something that did or didnt happen and the bank will seize on that to not pay.

So best to run it by di first as she will hopefully spot anything you put in that could lead to them saying no payee.

I am a great believer of the SAR route as it does sometimes jog your memory of long distant events.

Just remember its what actually happened when the policy first came into existance that is crucial. Just because you had PPI doesnt mean it was wrong.

No telephones is good. Too often seen banks asking set questions on the phone leading the consumer to say something that fatally flaws the claim. Like anything financial nowdays you want it all in writing. Less wriggle room for the bank.

Good luck on this

Comment

Well so far Ive said
          • yes to between 18 and 64 when sold.
          • were you working 16 hours .. not sure if he was... he did have a p/t job at one point but he may have told them he was f/t to get the card?
          • yes to living and working in uk
          • when sold were you told optional.. I put no
          • if no say below why... I said that we were told if we didn't get PPI we wouldn't get the card as too high a risk.. and that WAS what we were lead to believe.
          • made aware of cost - no
          • added to balance and interest - no
          • if no then say below - I said we were told it would be a set amount and no one said anything about interest!
          • aware of right to cancel - no
          • if no say why - well he was lead to believe that no PPI = no card.
          • made aware of certain conditions - no
          • made aware of contract work conditions - no
          • if no say why - I said that we had tried to claim PPI when hubby lost his job in 2008 and was then told PPI didn't cover 'his' circumstances, that was when we asked for it to be cancelled and a refund.
          • were you advised of policy booklet and told to read it.. no
          • if no why - What booklet!!?

And then at the end in extra bits I said again that when he applied he was told if he didn't take out PPI then he wouldn't stand a chance of being approved, cancelled in 2008 and asked for refund.. it was cancelled but never heard anything about refund.

Comment

Was this conversation held over the phone after he had initially applied for the card?

Comment

Originally posted by ken100464 View Post
              Was this conversation held over the phone after he had initially applied for the card?

As far as I know the whole thing was over the telephone, will ask him when he gets home.

Comment

Like I said these things are normally asking for information to allow them to wriggle out of it. So phone is no no as they will ask questions to lead you somewhere and these questionaires have to be thought about. So IMO just like dca's its good to stay off the dog and bone

I have seen people put down they were phoned up when the bank has proof it was over the counter and that sort of thing. So if someone cant even remember where it was sold, if it went to FOS and its the bank with facts against a consumers memory that cant even remember when it was sold its not hard to see what the FOS decision will be.

Once the bank has things like that off you as fact its very hard to turn it around again. Always good to take time at this point.

I would either pm di or ask a mod to ask her to look in but in the meantime ask your hubby everything he remembers about it. Try to keep emotion that they are thieving barstewards out of it. We all know they are. Try and be honest with it because they may have a transcript. And what they are looking for is you not really knowing or trying to fluff up the claim when actually that wasnt what really happened.

Di's pretty good with these things

Comment

Thank you!!

And oh bugger... I've ruined the questionnaire form.. can I send your version once Di is helping me? does AAD have one I can use?

Comment

Nope you not ruined anything. That form just keep it nice and safe, ask hubby to think and think hard but keep the thieving barsteward thought out of it and get di to come and guide you.

Your doing fine. Allow di to have a peek see and she hopefully will spot anything amiss. Even hubby may when he sits down and thinks hard about it may realise it happened x way not y way.

Dont worry about time these things can be slow old things. And if they get to FOS just forget about them as the year rolls by.

Your doing fine. Better to guide before you give them information than try and turn something round because they now have information.

Comment

Well based on what was answered in the above questionnaire, this would be missold as unsuitable for purpose. End of.
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Reading now thanks.

Comment

Hi Patchouli

I agree with what the others have said here (cheers folks).

First of all let me just say, that when my hubby or myself could not remember details of jobs etc, the tax office will hold these, and they sent us info going all the way back from the 90's, this helped with some of my complaints, as there were details of jobs from year to year, this may help you or your hubby remember which job he had at the time the policy was taken out and if part time or not. There will also be details of income each year, so they may enlighten you.

To request info from the Tax office this one is absolutely FREE, details below:
                          https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

They are pretty good and info may come in batches, depends what you tick for, but you will defo need details of income tax. At the bottom of the form there are boxes to tick for what you want. Even though like any other DATA dept they have up to 40 calendar days to comply, in my experience its taken less than that with mine.

If you've not also requested for any of the paperwork for the account yet, that maybe a good idea too, under a Subject Access Request (SAR).

Can your hubby recall on how it was sold to him, was it on the phone? this will be interesting if it were, because there should be details and maybe even recordings enclosed within the SAR if the policy was sold on the phone, especially if he were told he would not be accepted for the account if he did not accept ppi.

And always deal with matters in writing only.

Comment

Thank you Di... Why is it such a hoo-haa now? I claimed PPI back on a Barclays account in the same year (it's when we found out we didn't need PPI)... I simply sent them some template letter I found on the internet and a few weeks later I got £2k! lol

I don't remember having to tell them what job I had or how many hours I worked... why is it so convoluted now?

Comment

Patchouli

Think the answer to your question will lie in the obvious decline in PPI claims. Looking round the online consumer forums you can see new claims in free fall.

This gives the banks who have been behind the curve time to start to spend more time on these claims. Sadly for the people claiming now they are suffering for some of the early opportunists who got away with it. Just because someone had it certainly doesnt mean the bank miss sold it. Thats what many forget. The bank has to advise you or force you to have a useless product. If you buy that useless product yourself because there was no advice or indeed the product did cover you then the claim is in trouble.

Indeed even the regulator says that PPI wasnt a bad product it was just the way the banks went about selling it.

Too often you see people making a mistake and then wondering why the bank rejects and then the FOS rejects. Easier to rectify a mistake before you tell them the mistake.

These forms the banks are sending out are to bring closure to the whole shambles. I have no doubt the regulator is coming under increasing pressure to come up with a date after which PPI claims will no longer be looked at.

But one thing you see time and again in these failure threads is the OP changing their story hoping the bank doesnt notice. Best to have your story nailed down before you start.

Just my view of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X