GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Vs Barclaycard - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vs Barclaycard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vs Barclaycard

Hi all newbie here but being doing some digging and I think I have a fundamental question.

I am one of those people that do not exactly remember the way in which I was sold PPI - so I do not know if I was miss-sold or not at the moment.

HOWEVER, In 2005 I moved to the US and continued to pay the PPI. This was a concious decision because I felt with the risk of a move to the US and a new job I might need to fall back if things did not work out.... move forward 4 years and I realised it was not needed so cancelled it.

Now today I am reviewing finances and am coming to think that the PPI I have had for this time whilst I was away from the UK is actually useless... this brings me to the thought that perhaps I was not really told the T&C`s when I was sold the PPI.

What do you think? is there something there that is worth following up with?

I have SAR`d Barclays and have statements from`04 and also an agreement with them but no more details.

Thanks

p.s. I dont want to stiff the banks but I do feel for 4 years I was paying for something completely unnecessary. I also have 2 other cards and one loan - of whihc only another large balanced card had ppi.

Re: Vs Barclaycard

Why don't you reclaim the lot - regardless?

I don't see why you don't do a full reclaim based on it not being suitable at inception die to the fact you already had adequate cover through work and were not explained the benefits of the policy.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi and welcome

Yes I agree with Niddy and the fact that you were in the US I dont think the cover would have applied to you, so it was a pointless cover.
      I would therefore get a reclaim in and any other information to add, for example it you had a pre exisiting health condition at the time it was sold to you for example, then do add that and any other reason that may apply to you.

Here directly on Barclays website are details on how to complain, also with the complaint form, make sure you also keep copies, good luck.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Generalinf...P1242592293882

Comment

Just before you put pen to paper I note that you have statements from 2004. But you went to the US in 2005.

On your statements in 2004 did you have PPI being added. You seem to indicate you did but am not totally sure from your post. (In 2005 I moved to the US and continued to pay the PPI) If you did the fact you were in US in 2005 wont help if you after the miss selling. They will just come back and say you should have cancelled as indeed you did 4 years later.

It all revolves around when you took the PPI out not what happened afterwards. Trying to stop you giving them an excuse to refuse. Di30 will find a way if there is one. Need abit more info on when you took it out and if anything is on your agreement. A PPI tickbox or the like. Do you have a few early statements then this PPI starts appearing that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ken100464 View Post
          Just before you put pen to paper I note that you have statements from 2004. But you went to the US in 2005.

On your statements in 2004 did you have PPI being added. You seem to indicate you did but am not totally sure from your post. (In 2005 I moved to the US and continued to pay the PPI) If you did the fact you were in US in 2005 wont help if you after the miss selling. They will just come back and say you should have cancelled as indeed you did 4 years later.

yes the statements from 04 to 09 hAve ppi on them and the card had ppi from the beginning.....

It all revolves around when you took the PPI out not what happened afterwards. Trying to stop you giving them an excuse to refuse. Di30 will find a way if there is one. Need abit more info on when you took it out and if anything is on your agreement. A PPI tickbox or the like. Do you have a few early statements then this PPI starts appearing that sort of thing.
          My thought was that the fact I didn't cancel was because I thought the terms and conditions covered me. Looking back I will claim I did not know the true cost of the ppi or the inclusions/exclusions to make an informed decision. With work I had some good coverage for sickness and redundancy and so if I had known the tc's and c's I would have declined (as I did with others).... The living in us bit is evidence I did not know the t&cs as I would not be stupid enough to pay so much if it was not valid.....
          also do the bank not have an obligation to cancel if it becomes invalid? Pretty sure they would cancel any accounts with interest if they were not valid for non uk residents,,,.....

Comment

No pre-existing health conditions (stupidity does not count).
            only really work health benefits and naievity..

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Why don't you reclaim the lot - regardless?

I don't see why you don't do a full reclaim based on it not being suitable at inception die to the fact you already had adequate cover through work and were not explained the benefits of the policy.
              Is this enough? Would I need to prove the cover with work? I am not really on good terms with them now as I went to a competitor,...

Comment

You dont need to prove anything, you were covered by your work, thats all you need to say.

My claim was upheld recently, i said that i was lead to believe it was a requirement for acceptance of the loan, and had not been given any information relating to the PPI, my savings were that id be covered for over 6 months if ill.

You dont need to say that it was a requirement, but you can say you were not given the T's and C's and had adequate cover from work.

The ombudsman questionare just asks you whether you would have had enough cover if sick. it doesnt ask you to prove it.

Stick with reasons that have been tried, tested and acceptable for miss selling purposes and you wont go wrong. Leave out the bit about moving to the US
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

To be honest it's pretty easy to reclaim it nowadays. Speak to Di30 - she'll guide you along. She's our ppi reclaim expert and she's got money back for some weird and woeful cases so its not a lost cause.

Ill ask her to pop in and help you get started etc

It only costs a tenner for the SAR
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Niddy and everyone else :-)

I would first of all request a SAR if you've not done so yet, as useful info may apply to you enclosed within, as Niddy says it costs just the one off tenner to cover for all info on all loans/credit cards etc, just apply each account number to the same SAR request.
                    However, if you also banked with Barclays, you can SAR with the bank account number and every finance taken out with them should be received within the SAR.

You do seem to have a case with your reasons. I note you said you moved to the US after taking out the policies, but the fact that the cover was not explained to you, and if you were aware at the time you were sold PPI that arrangements were place for a move to the US, and if you informed them of this, they should not have applied the cover in the first place.
                    And the fact that you had cover in place at the time as well, this goes to show that they did not even check with you if you did or not.

I would apply all the above if these apply to you and state the fact that the policy was worthless to you from the start, as for already being protected by your employer, and when you left the UK as you would not have been eligible for the cover, and you are requesting for a full refund of all premiums paid, plus interest to date including 8% of what a court would also award.
                    You do not need to give them the amounts, as they should enclose this to you later on, again this is why it maybe worthwhile to SAR as well.

I posted a link of how to complain directly to them on my above post (towards the top).

For each complaint you have - complete the complaint questionnaire, so basically loan and credit card ppi complaints keep separately and keep copies.

Let me know if you require more help as we are here to help you all we can, step by step :-)

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks Di, Waiting for my SAR from Barclay card.
                      Also claiming from NW (SAR received)

as soon as I receive the documents from barclays I will submit my claim.

In the mean time I will do the same asyou advised for NW. However I have the attached from NW. could you let me know what you think? I do not remember ticking the PPI box and certainly did not know about the policy being 1 year!

Comment

ah can not post attachments

Comment

Originally posted by Blaggs View Post
                          ah can not post attachments
                          Sure you can. Click advanced (reply) then the paper clip from the editor options.

Comment

Nope I dont see the paper clip.
                            Also in my permissions it says "you may not post attachments" under permissions at the bottom of my page.

Comment

Post two more times - you need ten posts. Sorry

just reply here with two random hello posts lol. It's fine

Comment

Working...
                              X