GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Virgin PPI offer - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin PPI offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin PPI offer

Hi

We eventually got a letter from the ombudsmen regarding this credit card.

The original complaint was made in Jan 2012 upheld in September the same year, knocked back by MBNA, the been awaiting re assessment.

They now say that MBNA have eight weeks to make an offer.

Few questions.

I have done the figures using bill and turbos supper spready and arrived at a figure that seems to me to be about right.
    Is it still(or has it ever been) the case that the ombudsman instructs creditors which have been uncooperative to pay an extra amount, or did I imagine this.

We also have another MBNA card(different brand) with a small balance on it, can they/do they offset the rebate to anther brand within the group.

cheers

Re: Virgin PPI offer

Cant say about the additional amount, but wouldn't have thought so.

MBNA never used to offset against other accounts, they may do so now, but I expect the could only do so if that account was in arrears, rather than carrying a balance.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      Cant say about the additional amount, but wouldn't have thought so.

MBNA never used to offset against other accounts, they may do so now, but I expect the could only do so if that account was in arrears, rather than carrying a balance.
      LOL sorry I meant a debit balance

I guess I will have to wait and see. The letter also said something about , if they cannot find the information regarding the account they may have to make assumptions.

The account only dates from 2005, seems rather odd, anyway I have a full set of statements I got under SAR some years ago which I can let them have should the figure be to far out.

Comment

Well done!

When you say extra amount, sometimes the Ombudsman will instuct the business to pay further redress for any inconvenience and distress this may have caused, but usually the decision letter should confirm this.

Comment

I'm glad you found our spready useful, GT. The FCA rules briefly mention using your PPI redress to reduce arrears on associated accounts - but what is considered fair and reasonable action is not defined !!! So, I daresay they may try this, and you may have to question whether the account was "associated" for the purposes of the FCA rules - and of course,that it was actually in arrears.

DISP APP 3.9.1 Where the complainant’s loan or credit card is in arrears the firm may, if it has the contractual right to do so, make a payment to reduce the associated loan or credit card balance, if the complainant accepts the firm’s offer of redress. The firm should act fairly and reasonably in deciding whether to make such a payment.

As Di says, the FOS may order an additional compensatory payment for inconvenience and/or distress, and I have seen these range from £100 to £1000.

Comment

HI
            Bill and di
            Thanks for this, I think you actually did the calc for me many moons ago, at the time I was using my own(inferior) spready although the figure did kind of match(sort of)as I remember.
            They have been a real pain with this knocking it back for no good reason, however now eventually it seems we are getting somewhere, it would be nice if they were penalized for their behavior.

I take you r point about the set off and have had a look at the T and C's tor the CC and see nothing, but I suppose maybe as it is in the same family so to speak, we will wait and see, I will keep you informed of progress.

Thanks again

Comment

I recall working with you on what must have been this claim some time ago GT, and I believe we arrived at an almost identical result - but by two different methods. So I think our methods were equally good - or bad, as the case may be !!! The lenders have generally treated all PPI claimants as chancers, and I daresay that statistics will show that for every 20 fob-off letters they send, only one will continue pursuing their claim - so we have to be persistent. I also think that - of those claimants who do persist - it is better to force them to refer their claim to the FOS, as this will put many off. Those who still continue then face an 18-24 month wait, while the lender continues to profit from the delayed claim payout.

I guess - as the other card is also MBNA-based - then that will be considered as sufficient 'association' for offset - but only on arrears, remember.

Comment

Working...
              X