GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RBS Mint - My signature on SAR - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RBS Mint - My signature on SAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS Mint - My signature on SAR

Hello

I hope that I've posted this in the right place.

I've had financial problems for some 13/14 years and I had an arrangement with Mint (credit card) for most of that time paying back a very nominal amount each month.

Recently, I submitted a SAR to RBS regarding my Mint account.

RBS have replied requesting proof of ID because they say my signature does not match the one they have on record.

TBH my signature may have been a little intentionally lazy and it was in blue ink over my typed name - so it couldn't be Photoshoped - but it was more or less the same signature I have used for most of my life..

They have been sending me statements to the same address for the best part of 20 years and they have also been corresponding with me regarding my account for about 13 years.

Do they have a right to be provided with proof of ID in such circumstances?

I've looked at the template letters and they deal with a situation where no signature has been provided and appear to offer an alternative form of ID so I'm not sure where I stand.

Thank you

Re: RBS Mint - My signature on SAR

I probably should have done some research before coming on here. I panicked a bit.

I will refer them to the Information Commissioner’s Office’s “Subject access code of practice: Dealing with requests from individuals for personal information” document. In confirming the requester’s identity they must be reasonable. They are communicating with me regularly so why would they suddenly believe I am not me?

I will reply along those lines.

Comment

As you've not moved address and requesting data at the statement address a normal signed request will suffice. You don't need to provide ID but the ICO make it clear the bank must be satisfied it's the account holder.

If they refuse you'll have to copy your driving licence or similar and send a copy in.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for replying.

The issue is around the signature. I signed in blue ink over my printed name and it was a little scribbled. I did this to avoid giving them anything they could lift out and use to forge any documents.

Now they are saying that it doesn't match the signature that they have on record.

The ICO's code of practice says that they must act reasonably in establishing identity particularly when there is an ongoing relationship.

Are you saying that if RBS say they are not happy with my signature the ICO would probably accept that they have a right to delay processing my SAR until I provide a certified copy of my driving licence, even though other parts of the organisation continue to communicate with me at the only address I have had in the 20 odd years I have been an RBS customer?

I hope that doesn't come over wrong. I just want to clarify my position before I respond to RBS. I was going to tell them that they are acting unreasonably (because they have a ongoing relationship with me) and that the 40 days still counts from the date of receipt of the SAR. Would I be delaying things further if I do that?

Comment

If they do have your original signature on record, then the reason for altering your signature has gone.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Good point!

But I did it before I knew one way or the other.

They aren't asking for another signature, they want a certified copy of a passport or driving licence or similar, which is another expense.

Comment

And it is further delay before they start processing my request.

Comment

You don't need a certified anything.

As they've not issued a final response you need to argue it back with them before taking it to FOS.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I don't know what you mean by a 'final response'.

In response to my SAR they replied saying that they could not process my request because my signature didn't match their records. They asked for a certified copy of ID - passport, driving licence etc.

So, I just respond saying that, as they are in constant contact with me at my usual address, it is unreasonable to ask for further ID? And also that the time is ticking from my original request?

Comment

A final response = a deadlock letter.

For or example they say do X, Y & Z and you refuse then they'll issue a final response. Until that, you cannot utilise the FOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spector View Post

So, I just respond saying that, as they are in constant contact with me at my usual address, it is unreasonable to ask for further ID? And also that the time is ticking from my original request?
                      We have a template for this in AAD Templates.

You're already AAD+ so the template is here (SAR SIGNATURE REQUEST TEMPLATE) -> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post489188

Comment

I see. I thought 'final response' related to a complaint only. And I didn't realise that the FOS could be involved in a matter like this. So thank you.

I'll get a letter off today.

Comment

Working...
                        X