GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Expat with CC debt pulling family under - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expat with CC debt pulling family under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expat with CC debt pulling family under

Hello all. Looking for advice on my situation.

I am a Brit living abroad with foreign partner and now a couple of kids - I have debts with Barclaycard and MBNA of around 8,000. Plus bank overdraft of 2.5k

I left the UK in 2008 after the crash and had to rent out my house as it was now in considerable negative equity. This cost a fortune as rent didn't cover mortgage. Finally sold house last year - still in negative equity but bought our way out. Figured it was cheaper in the long term.

House situation meant no real progress on paying down CC's so have been making minimum payments for 7 years.

Now house hell is over I need to tackle credit card debt - problem is now I am not earning (I am home with my two small children).
    My partners income is what we live on - it's a tight budget and the credit cards are eating it alive. Plus Barclaycard interest rate is crazy high so I am paddling fast but getting nowhere.

I have raised 4K that I was planning to chuck at Barclaycard but now I wonder is that the thing to do. Should I try a F&F or something else entirely because

- I am an expat since 2008
    - I have no assets in UK
    - I am going to be pretty poor until 2018 when kids go to school

What would you do?

Re: Expat with CC debt pulling family under

Hi MrsSmith, and a warm welcome to AAD

I certainly wouldn't be chucking £4K at Barclays or anyone else. If you've been paying interest on minimum payments all these years you'll have paid your dues by now and some.

There are many other ways to tackle this, we need to look at the debts individually to see the best way forward for you. I would have a read of this thread and start an unenforceability diary as descibed:
    http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...-Read-me-First!

Could be that they don't have the paperwork to pursue these debts, after all these years, or depending where you live now they may not be able to touch you at all if you simply stopped paying. What country are in living in?

Elsa x

Comment

Hi , if you could let us know dates of ccs ,when last paid and amounts in fact all the info you can ,then our wonderful team would be able to help. BTW welcome xx
      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry Elsa we must have posted at bthe same time xxx

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi MrsSmithy. I agree with Elsa...I wouldn't be chucking £4K at anyone. Set out the info on your debts as described by her and nanna and then we'll be able to help you. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't be making any more payments.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSmithy View Post
            - I am an expat since 2008
            - I have no assets in UK
            - I am going to be pretty poor until 2018 when kids go to school

What would you do?
            Originally posted by Pixie View Post
            If I was in your situation, I wouldn't be making any more payments.
            Same here ......Like Elsa said.... tell us a little more about these debts

Comment

Am in Norway

The cards are from 2000 and 2003

Barclaycard - around 5.5k owed
              Pay by dd and am up to date

Old Egg card now Barclaycard - 400 quid owed

Mbna - 1,5k owed

Never paid balance in full on any of these. Mostly minimum payments for years
              I never use them, all plastic is destroyed
              I have reduced balance considerably on all these debts apart from big Barclaycard debt.

I also have a bank overdraft of 2,5k

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSmithy View Post
                Am in Norway
                You planning in staying in Norway for the foreseeable future ?

You have no assets in the UK ?

If so....... and I were in your shoes....... I'd just stop all payments and enjoy your life in Norway .....

bet it's cold this time of year .......

Comment

As Deepie says STOP paying spend your money on you and yours ,if anything arises let us know and our wonderful team will help you.
                  Try not to worry .xx

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
                    It's likely I will need to return to the Uk to live at some point. It could be in the next six years too.
                    I am worried this could blow up to be a huge black mark against my name and also would they not pursue me or even worse my family who are still in the UK?

?

Comment

At 6yrs alleged debts become statute barred anyway, don't worry about that. SB is from 6yrs and starts one month after last payment ,if that makes sense. xxxxx

Comment

It is YOUR debt not your family's, so they can't pursue your family in the UK.

Do the credit companys know you are in Norway? If not, stop paying, if they do, stop paying,

do you use the Bank account that has the overdraft? ,just stop paying in to it.

As far as I am aware they cannot pursue you in Norway, If you took the debt's on in UK.

If you are using a family members Address for them to send mail to, just get them to return it saying you no longer live there, or write to them saying you have now moved abroad, they don't have to say where.

as for coming back to the UK, they won't know if or when you do, It is not a crime to be in debt, Customs won't know you have debt's. no lookout will be at the boarders.

Stop worrying enjoy your life and your family xxxx

Comment

Warm welcome Mrs Smithy. Youre in the right place, just follow the advice given and you will be fine. I wish I had had AAD way back in 2000 , as throwing money at the money grasping creditors is just not the way, they are so greedy they just want more and more. You have probably paid over and over for what you originally borrowed. Believe me the advice is good and genuine on here, you will be fine. Stop paying , you are on a learning curve now.
                          If you are using a shovel to dig yourself into a hole, a credit card company will be happy to give you a JCB !!

Comment

Working...
                          X