GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script new poster seeking advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new poster seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new poster seeking advice

Hi, this is my first post. Recently retired on a modest income and am unable to meet the minimum payments on two credit cards.
    I am frightened at the situation I find myself in and would welcome any advice.
    I will make 2 new posts with details of each card.
    thanks

Re: new poster seeking advice

welcome to AAD Tinkerbelle

There are many like you here so no need to worry if you can give the following information for each card we can have a look and see what can be done.

Are you still paying the minimum amount at the moment?

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...-Read-me-First!

• Type of account (credit card/loan)

• Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)

• Approx balance

• Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)

• Are you on arrangement or not paying

• Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)

• Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)

Comment

Thanks Mrs D for your reply, I have felt that I had no one to turn to.
      Started to write the details and lost it lol
      Will do them again.

Comment

card 1

Type of account credit card
        Date commenced 2009
        Approx balance £2k
        Status still paying not in arrears
        OC MBNA

I am paying this at the expense of my next card as it is the smallest balance and want to pay it off as quickly as possible. I am paying slightly more than minimum payment.

Comment

card 2

Type of account credit card
          Date commenced 1997
          Approx balance £6k
          Status 3 months in arrears
          OC Barclaycard

I am getting statements with usual charges and phone calls which I am not answering and have put a call blocker on. I can't meet the minimum payments on both cards, advice gratefully requested

Comment

Tinkerbelle you will be fine.

it's only money.

I am presuming if you are retired, getting new credit is not going to be a problem?

So I would say no point in beggering yourself to pay credit cards.

If you have missed three payments with barclaycard it is likely they have defaulted you. Defaults stay on your credit file for 6 years stopping you get any further credit.

Because of the dates on your cards, we could look at UE for the Barclaycard, The MBNA is too new, but hey, they were never that great a paperwork.

If I were you I would stop paying both and send off a CCA request to each one. Then we can see where we are. You need to read all about the UE process in the link I sent you and also read a few diaries, some of them have been going for 5 years so interesting reading.

If you are happy with that, we can look at what comes back, either start very low token repayments or face them out on the UE route. It will be your choice but we will help all we can.

So relax, curl up on the sofa and have a good read through my suggestions, then come back with your decision.

Good Luck xxx

Comment

Hi tinkerbelle and well done on posting. You'll find lots of support here.

You say you're struggling to meet payments on two cards but you say you're paying your MBNA card at the expense of your Next card so do you have other debts? If you do, can you post details of them in the format that MrsD suggested? It helps if we can get an overall view of your situation.

You're by no means the first person who has only realised that they can no longer afford their credit once they've retired.
              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thanks MRSD laughing at how i'm beggering myself lol
                Not bothered about credit file, don't want any more credit, will take you advice do some reading and get back to you.
                Pixie thanks for response by next card I meant card 2, don't have any other debt apart from my morgage.

Comment

so just the two to sort out

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbelle View Post
                    Pixie thanks for response by next card I meant card 2, don't have any other debt apart from my morgage.
                    Ooops

At least we know that it's just the two cards
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

am taking Mrs d's advice but can't get into the templates section despite putting in my user name and password
                      thanks

Comment

Tink you could not be in better hands good luck in whatever way you choose xx oh and welcome .
                        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbelle View Post
                          am taking Mrs d's advice but can't get into the templates section despite putting in my user name and password
                          thanks
                          You need to re-register for the templates section - with the same username and password (assuming you haven't already !)

Comment

Hi Tinkerbelle and welcome from me too.
                            I agree. If it was me I would send the CCA requests and stop paying. The sooner they default and terminate the accounts the sooner they'll stop adding interest and charges, so the debt won't escalate.

Re the templates: Once you've registered on there using the same username, password and email address as Oscar says, you also need to click the activation link in the acknowledgement email you'll receive. (Check your spam if you can't see it)

Elsa x

Comment

I can now get into the template section and will update when I get the responses.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X