GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Checking account statuses without waking up DCAs - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking account statuses without waking up DCAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking account statuses without waking up DCAs

Hi All,

With the help of this site I've been helping out a family member regarding Natwest (cc, loan and overdraft), Egg Card, Capital One card and Barclaycard.

Its been successful in so far as no stress for family member, affordable payments, no court action so family member can get on with their day to day life without the worry.

The only problem I have is that the papertrail on my part wasn't so great in the beginning and I can't find the original default dates/last paid dates for the accounts.

The defaults should start falling off this year and there are statue barred dates looming for the Natwest CC and Barclaycard.

My family member hasn't got credit file monitoring at all for many years and was going to get Noddle but we have the following concerns:

- could it wake up Barclaycard (Shoesmiths were last in touch 2010 and it's not been paid for much longer) the card is from the 1970s so not really scared of it.
    - we have been corresponding using my address - not that of my family member

Otherwise how else can I check the SB dates?

Re: Checking account statuses without waking up DCAs

personally I'd hang off until you estimate it is SB, checking reports does wake them up and it's just not worth it. did you say above that you're paying some of them? in that case the SB date doesn't matter. and the arrangement to pay will be on the credit record for 6 years after the last payment..................

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
      personally I'd hang off until you estimate it is SB, checking reports does wake them up and it's just not worth it. did you say above that you're paying some of them? in that case the SB date doesn't matter. and the arrangement to pay will be on the credit record for 6 years after the last payment..................
      All the accounts (natwestx 3, egg, cap1 and bcard) were defaulted in 2008 with only 2 of the natwest accounts, egg and cap1 having payments made to the DCAs no ARPs to lenders.

So I assume the defaults will come off this year anyway with the payments showing on them whilst they remain being paid, its just the two that aren't being paid.

To clarify as I'm unclear:

I know that a undefaulted/settled account shows for 6 years then is removed from CRA entirely.

Will a satisfied default (zero balance) show for only 6 years after default or 6 years after you paid it off?

A default comes off after 6 years irrespective of amount owed?

so...does a unpaid defaulted account shows or not?

Thinking that checking his file is unecessary at this time.

Comment

Another question would be - what do you want to check your credit file for? Are you considering taking out further credit? If so, then thats just as likely to wake up other creditors too as they can share information via Nhunter when you make an application.

If your family member isn't taking out further credit then forget the CRA's - they're unnecessary in his/her life. As the SB date approaches you're likely to get a last ditch attempt from a couple of creditors to try to reset the SB clock either by getting a payment or acknowledgement of the debt. That will be your indication that the SB date is approaching
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
          Another question would be - what do you want to check your credit file for? Are you considering taking out further credit? If so, then thats just as likely to wake up other creditors too as they can share information via Nhunter when you make an application.

If your family member isn't taking out further credit then forget the CRA's - they're unnecessary in his/her life. As the SB date approaches you're likely to get a last ditch attempt from a couple of creditors to try to reset the SB clock either by getting a payment or acknowledgement of the debt. That will be your indication that the SB date is approaching
          Thanks for this.

He's not looking to get further credit - just a simply look to see if the "credit" saga is over really. Family member is almost mortgage free so no credit required or needed when that happens. and me it'll be a new mortgage in 2015 that why I need mine as accurate as possible - hence my questions above.

Comment

Originally posted by malamute View Post
            Thanks for this.

He's not looking to get further credit - just a simply look to see if the "credit" saga is over really. Family member is almost mortgage free so no credit required or needed when that happens. and me it'll be a new mortgage in 2015 that why I need mine as accurate as possible - hence my questions above.
            I'd say then worry about it when you need to and leave sleeping dogs alone

Check your credit file in 2015 when you need to. If defaults are dropping off this year thats the main thing. I know theres a couple of lenders out there (Aldermore and GE Money) who would lend to people with defaults but I recall the maximum number of defaults was 2 and they had to be under £500 and over 3 years past (SXGuy would probably be the best person to answer this).

The only risk both you and your family member have (especially if they have almost paid off the mortgage), is that a creditor may discover this and go after that equity. All the more reason to keep your heads down and let things quietly pass the SB date. I'd suggest that unless you both start getting letters again from creditors to not even look at a CRA report for another couple of years (and save the money!).
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
              I'd say then worry about it when you need to and leave sleeping dogs alone

Check your credit file in 2015 when you need to. If defaults are dropping off this year thats the main thing. I know theres a couple of lenders out there (Aldermore and GE Money) who would lend to people with defaults but I recall the maximum number of defaults was 2 and they had to be under £500 and over 3 years past (SXGuy would probably be the best person to answer this).

The only risk both you and your family member have (especially if they have almost paid off the mortgage), is that a creditor may discover this and go after that equity. All the more reason to keep your heads down and let things quietly pass the SB date. I'd suggest that unless you both start getting letters again from creditors to not even look at a CRA report for another couple of years (and save the money!).
              Thanks for this.

All my defaults come off this year - hence the mortgage application this year as we need to move house next year. On that basis I shouldn't have to look at lenders that accept defaults - as there won't be any.

'll tell my family member to hold fire.

Comment

Working...
              X