GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Statute barred? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statute barred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute barred?

This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

My fiancé and I have had a lot of debt in the past, which resulted in her going bankrupt 6/12/07. Most of my debts were older and I assumed they were statute barred.
    The problem we have is that I took a chance 4 months ago and applied for a Vanquis credit card, and got accepted. Great. Then we took another chance 2 months ago and bought her a car for £5,500 through Suzuki finance, and got accepted for that too. Things were really starting to look up for us. I assumed my credit rating was fine so I tried to get finance on another car for myself, as the one I am renting is costing me £600 p/m and it would only cost £300 p/m to buy one. A no-brainer. Unfortunately I got declined.

I decided to have a look at my credit rating to see why I was declined finance and discovered that there was still one outstanding debt showing from 1st credit for an unpaid Citibank card of £742. It will be defaulted 6 years in July. I have received a letter from them today offering a 65% discount on the debt, bringing it down to £259. I'd like to know if it is worth clearing this debt immediately in order to clear my credit rating or will it still show up?
    As a result of me being declined we checked my fiancé's credit rating to see if there was anything that would prevent her buying the car in her name instead. It shows 2 defaults that were included in her bankruptcy, but the dates on the defaults were a year after the bankruptcy. Surely these should have been wiped with the rest of the debts that were included? How do we go about getting this wiped?

Re: Statute barred?

Sounds like 1st Credit were alerted when you checked your credit file.

Offering them any money will not remove the default, it will stay until July as you say. If it were me id ignore the letter and pay nothing.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

sx is quite right about the default, I'm not sure about the bankruptcy but I know someone who will know, hang on

Comment

Hi BillyC, I would take a look at the link below this will help your fiancé to clear up her credit files.

-- > http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ost-Bankruptcy
        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

If Niddy negotiates the settlement, they usually remove the default.

Comment

Although ignore is good its also worth coming back here with any correspondence from 1st Crud. The last thing you want is to encourage them to seek a CCJ on such a tiddler. Not when your so close to a clean file. When did you last pay anything to it.

Niddy has a way with them and perhaps the £259 could be bettered

Comment

Originally posted by BillyC View Post
              This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

My fiancé and I have had a lot of debt in the past, which resulted in her going bankrupt 6/12/07. Most of my debts were older and I assumed they were statute barred.
              The problem we have is that I took a chance 4 months ago and applied for a Vanquis credit card, and got accepted. Great. Then we took another chance 2 months ago and bought her a car for £5,500 through Suzuki finance, and got accepted for that too. Things were really starting to look up for us. I assumed my credit rating was fine so I tried to get finance on another car for myself, as the one I am renting is costing me £600 p/m and it would only cost £300 p/m to buy one. A no-brainer. Unfortunately I got declined.

I decided to have a look at my credit rating to see why I was declined finance and discovered that there was still one outstanding debt showing from 1st credit for an unpaid Citibank card of £742. It will be defaulted 6 years in July. I have received a letter from them today offering a 65% discount on the debt, bringing it down to £259. I'd like to know if it is worth clearing this debt immediately in order to clear my credit rating or will it still show up?
              As a result of me being declined we checked my fiancé's credit rating to see if there was anything that would prevent her buying the car in her name instead. It shows 2 defaults that were included in her bankruptcy, but the dates on the defaults were a year after the bankruptcy. Surely these should have been wiped with the rest of the debts that were included? How do we go about getting this wiped?
              If you'd like me to help you get this sorted, for a lot less, with default removal then feel free to email me - webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk and we'll see if we can help
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X