GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Royal Mail Redirection Catch-22 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Mail Redirection Catch-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Mail Redirection Catch-22

Not sure which forum to put this in, so I'm posting it here for now. It IS debt-related, as the infamous Marlin are likely to have taken over my unenforceable Egg card and the bank will still have my old address.

I'm not in any hurry to let them know my new address, but I do want to keep tabs on them, especially since they are not above trying to obtain CCJs at old addresses...

It has been suggested that I set up a new Royal Mail redirection but that is proving to be easier said than done.

The problem is that Royal Mail want valid ID, including recent utility bills (less than three months old), for the OLD address. How the f*** am I supposed to produce these when I moved from my old address at the end of August?

I have tried getting round this by using their online service but the payment kept getting rejected. I finally twigged that this is because it's sending the OLD address details to my card provider, which of course are no longer valid.

I did have redirection set up for three months just before I moved out, but this was to a local mate's address rather than my new one (at the time, it wasn't clear whether my sale was going to complete or not, so the best way round this seemed to be to have the mail going to a mate's for three months).

So I'm not really in a position to "renew" that particular arrangement and I can't set up a new one with the official forms because I can't supply a recent utility bill from the old address. And I can't get one of those because I can't set up redirection! Talk about Catch 22!

I tried contacting the Redirections Centre's phone number. This is unfortunately an 0844 rip-off (8p per minute) number and not even SayNoTo0870 has an alternative number. Anyway, I had to sit through the usual time-wasting menu options to make more money for the Royal Mail. Then I was told they charge £9 more for the privilege of setting it up by phone. At this point my head is thumping the desk.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? I've tried calling at my old house to pick up any mail but the woman who bought it seems to work away from home a lot and the neighbours hardly ever see her.

Any mail that I really care about is already coming here, of course. And if the Egg card was with a normal DCA, I wouldn't bother so much. But since Marlin are a bunch of crooks, I do want to know what they're sending out.

Re: Royal Mail Redirection Catch-22

Tricky one isn't it?
    When you moved, did you change banks or change your address with your existing bank?
    If the latter then the bank will presumably have updated you address on your credit file anyway. Similarly mobile providers such as vodafone, and some utility companies.
    -so they'll eventually find you anyway...but would have the opportunity to issue a CCA to the old address, as is their habit.
    The only thing I can think of other than what you've already tried, is to leave some SAE's at your old address with a request for forwarding..

Hope someone else can come up with more ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
      Tricky one isn't it?
      When you moved, did you change banks or change your address with your existing bank?
      If the latter then the bank will presumably have updated you address on your credit file anyway. Similarly mobile providers such as vodafone, and some utility companies.
      -so they'll eventually find you anyway...but would have the opportunity to issue a CCA to the old address, as is their habit.
      The only thing I can think of other than what you've already tried, is to leave some SAE's at your old address with a request for forwarding..

Hope someone else can come up with more ideas...
      Are they actually obtaining CCJs when they don't have a valid CCA? Do the courts actually check paperwork or do they just nod it through?

Comment

They dont need a valid CCA to get a CCJ, if you dont respond to the claim form, they get judgement by default.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

if you don't respond to the summons they would get judgement by default.

You could apply to have it set aside if you can demonstrate that you have a good chance of defending your case.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            They dont need a valid CCA to get a CCJ, if you dont respond to the claim form, they get judgement by default.
            So they can just make a claim against me at an address I no longer live at, and from which I can't even get mail forwarded, and then just have it rubberstamped through?

This is madness. How can I prevent this?

Comment

Been there, read the book, kicked arse

They CANNOT get judgment by default to stick if served at old address.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It's just a pain in the butt getting it set aside
                How long before your PO Box addresses are ready Niddy? That's an option..

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  Been there, read the book, kicked arse

They CANNOT get judgment by default to stick if served at old address.
                  Thanks for that, Niddy. I think I'll still get on to my old house's new owner and try to get my mail forwarded anyway, just in case.

Comment

CPR allows them to serve papers to and obtain a CCJ at your last known address. That is legitimate (technically).

Whether they can then make that stick if you challenge it is another matter......
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Is their normal modus operandi to run straight to the courts? Given that Marlin are a bunch of thugs by all accounts, aren't they likely to try doorstep visits to 'help' people first?

Comment

I've had a reply from Royal Mail after explaining my situation to them.

This is their attitude:

Dear [evilcartman]

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail about our redirection service.

I should explain that we are unable to set up a redirection without the relevant identification when applying through the application form.

If you have also been unsuccessful when applying for the redirection online or over the telephone, I am sorry to advise that I am unable to help you further.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused. If we can help further, please contact us.

Regards

Mark Fleming
                        Customer Service Advisor

Comment

Not the reply you wanted really was it. Thanks RM!
                          If it's any consolation mate i am in exactly the same boat as you
                          I've thought about it this way. Pay for the maximum redirection duration and they write to you the week after it expires!

I think Niddy said in another post that they are more than likely going to trace us first through the electoral role and send letters/call round before applying for CCJ at an old address. That said, if they do that to us (which hopefully they won't) then we will have to do our best to fight them.
                          I hope this helps a bit more than the RM reply!
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
                            Not the reply you wanted really was it. Thanks RM!
                            If it's any consolation mate i am in exactly the same boat as you
                            I've thought about it this way. Pay for the maximum redirection duration and they write to you the week after it expires!

I think Niddy said in another post that they are more than likely going to trace us first through the electoral role and send letters/call round before applying for CCJ at an old address. That said, if they do that to us (which hopefully they won't) then we will have to do our best to fight them.
                            I hope this helps a bit more than the RM reply!
                            I'm still not on the electoral roll here yet. Oops.

A letter of complaint is currently being sent to the Royal Mail CEO's email address.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
                              I'm still not on the electoral roll here yet. Oops.
                              Not always a bad thing

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
                              A letter of complaint is currently being sent to the Royal Mail CEO's email address.
                              Good luck, keep us posted
                              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X