GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help DCA letter first time in debt. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help DCA letter first time in debt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help DCA letter first time in debt.

Hey,

Im zac and im 20, I took out a contract phone with O2 earlier this year whilst i had a job, I suffer from really bad anxiety issues which forced me out of my job because i was unable to go to work. now i am practically agoraphobic i am seeking medical help anyway i digress. As soon as i lost my job i canceled the debit with my bank. today i recieved this from pay2contact

Dear Sir/Madame,

(Account name and number/ref)

We have been instructed by our client to VISIT YOUR ADDRESS TO COLLECT THE ABOVE DEBT.

You have made this action necessary as you have ignored all their requests to contact them and you have failed to pay your account.

Our visits take place within the following hours:-

Monday - Friday 9am - 8pm
    Saturday 9am - 12 noon

Should you wish to avoid this course of action, you must contact our instructing agent WITHIN 72 HOURS of receipt of this notice:-

(Power2Contact address + their number)

Failure to comply to this request may lead to the above action without further warning or notice.

Yours faithfully,

Karen Hillyer

Apparently I owe a debt of £1312 Which i dont see how thats possible from what? 6 months? I have had absoloutly no contact from O2 what so ever no emails. phonecalls nothing. I have no income Because i am unable to work i have a medical certificate to say so. I live with my parents I honestly don't know what to do can these guys repossess my parents stuff or what? This is making my anxiety worse.

Re: Help DCA letter first time in debt.

Welcome tbb.

Firstly to your question can they take your parents stuff.

No.

Secondly they are not baliffs so they have no rights whatsoever. You postman has more.

Thirdly there are steps companies have to take to get money back off you. They havnt even started this yet.

Forthly you will get good advice here. Many many knowledgable people who will know what to do.

One of the mods will be along shortly and should think will advise you to send a letter to deal with this intended visit. They mostly dont turn up anyhow. Just a method to get you to phone so they can bully you.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks ken

Comment

Hi Zac and welcome to AAD. Please stop worrying.

A few things to get straight here:

- Only bailiffs can reposess things and then only with a court order. Power2Contact are not bailiffs, they are a debt collecting agency (and a pretty toothless one at that.)

- It's highly unlikely that they will visit, they make the threat to scare you (as it has done). If they visit just tell them to sling their hook or don't answer the door. They have no power or rights to come on to your property (or your parents' property). If they won't leave just tell them that you will phone the police.

- Whatever you do, do not phone them.

- With mobile phones you are liable for the cost of the whole contract, no matter when you cancel.

- Are you under medical care for your anxiety problems. If so, one of the other mods may be able to help you (I'll ask her to look in.)

- Are you claiming any benefits while you're not working? If not, then you should.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Ken....I had to answer the phone while I was in the middle of posting.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oh and PS to the above. 72 hours is a load of old tosh. Its designed to panic you.

Its costs them to send someone round to see you. They would rather you picked up the phone and avoid this cost. Indeed they would rather use your bill.

So 72 hours is a moveable feast so please dont worry that they will be on your doorstep this week.

So chill and await further guidance.

Comment

- Are you under medical care for your anxiety problems. If so, one of the other mods may be able to help you (I'll ask her to look in.)
              I see a doctor once a month and i am on a waiting list to see a therapist.

- Are you claiming any benefits while you're not working? If not, then you should.
              Not at the moment no.
              Last edited by Pixie; 28 May 2013, 12:25. Reason: tidied up quotes

Comment

hi tbb,

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Sorry to read about your anxiety but please don't worry about this letter. It's easy for me to type this on the end of the keyboard, but, please try to forget about it.
                You are in good hands now.
                take care, best,
                Missy
                When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by tbb View Post
                  I see a doctor once a month and i am on a waiting list to see a therapist.
                  In that case, hopefully Undercover Elsa might be able to help you.

Did you contact O2 at all to explain your situation to them or did you just stop paying?

Comment

At the moment i just have no idea how i am supposed to pay for this. If O2 are happy to do a reasonable weekly payment thing then im happy but if the expect the £1312 at once then they aren't going to get it.

Also my parents will most likely answer the phone to them because they don't check what the number that is calling is they just answer but i find it strange that i have had no contact from O2 not even a phonecall.

Comment

Did you contact O2 at all to explain your situation to them or did you just stop paying?
                      I just stopped paying i know not very bright right? i was going to contact them but to be honest i completely forgot i was even on a contract until today.
                      Last edited by Pixie; 28 May 2013, 12:33.

Comment

At the moment i just have no idea how i am supposed to pay for this. If O2 are happy to do a reasonable weekly payment thing then im happy but if the expect the £1312 at once then they aren't going to get it.
                        How are you going to pay reasonable weekly payments if you have no income? You really need to be applying for benefits of some kind.

They won't expect you to pay the full amount at once, though they'll try.

Also my parents will most likely answer the phone to them because they don't check what the number that is calling is they just answer but i find it strange that i have had no contact from O2 not even a phonecall.
                        Did O2 have your parents' phone number?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                          Did O2 have your parents' phone number?
                          i put down my house number and my payg mobile.

Comment

I just stopped paying i know not very bright right? i was going to contact them but to be honest i completely forgot i was even on a contract until today.
                            No not very bright but we've all hidden our heads in the sand at some point

I'm hoping that we can get something sorted based on your anxiety problems

Comment

i put down my house number and my payg mobile.
                              If your parents are in the phone book, then it's possible that you'll get called...though they usually do that before writing the letters..

If they call, just refuse to talk to them. Just say "Everything in writing" and put the phone down.

Comment

Working...
                              X