GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt collection on Christmas Day - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt collection on Christmas Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collection on Christmas Day

Hi All,

Firstly, I hope everyone has a good Christmas & New Year Period

I was sent an email from BPO Collections yesterday (on behalf of Virgin Media), dated 25th Dec and received at 9:09am. Are they allowed to do that on Christmas Day!? Seems very underhand to me!

I'm fairly sure I don't actually owe them any money, and if I do it's got to be pre-BR anyway, but a complaint and threat to report them to whoever regulates them might get them to quieten down!

Re: Debt collection on Christmas Day

Sure it's allowed on xmas day. It's a normal day of the year other than being a bank holiday.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I've been plagued by someone spoofing a local number for the last few months - an old dca/scammer ruse to trick you into thinking it's harmless. They rang 4 times last night, within a minute of each other.
      It didn't get put through though - my call manager machine sent them to answerphone. No message, unsurprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by 1NightInIbiza View Post
        Hi All,

Firstly, I hope everyone has a good Christmas & New Year Period

I was sent an email from BPO Collections yesterday (on behalf of Virgin Media), dated 25th Dec and received at 9:09am. Are they allowed to do that on Christmas Day!? Seems very underhand to me!

I'm fairly sure I don't actually owe them any money, and if I do it's got to be pre-BR anyway, but a complaint and threat to report them to whoever regulates them might get them to quieten down!

Underhand tactics of the worse kind, trying to bring stress on Christmas Day, = unethical scum!!!

They should be fined in principle heavily for gross misconduct and using tactics of a nature not in line with dignity in grace of their position.!!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by 1NightInIbiza View Post
          Seems very underhand to me!
          "Underhand tactics" are sadly standard procedure for most debt collectors.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately the answer I was expecting! Just wondering if it was a quicker way to shut them up, I've told them 20 times I'm bankrupt but they won't clear off.

I remember reading some time back that debt bailiffs and DCA agents couldn't turn up at stupid times of night (after 8/9pm?) or on Sundays I believe. That's why I thought Bank Holidays may be a 'protected day'. And although xmas means very little to me, to some people I can imagine that would be highly stressful.

I do expect nothing less of them, but would hope their regulator, although xmas day is essentially a 'normal' day, would view it as an attempt to exert pressure on such a day that is implied to be special - any other day wouldn't cause anywhere near as stress (except perhaps for Birthday's - but the company could claim that as a usual trading day).

Comment

Some options...

- Contact your OR and tell them that you are being chased for a pre-BR debt. Ask them to write to the creditor/collector to warn them off.
              - Write yourself talking them that you will be reporting them to the OR, the FCA etc etc if they don't get lost.
              - Ignore them as you are BR. Nothing they can do.

As annoying as it is, the only thing of any real concern would be court papers in the post. And those only a limited concern unless you ignored them, as you would obviously defend those with the cast iron defence of the bankruptcy.

Comment

Thanks, I'll threaten the OR on them!

Out of interest, if I was to pay it, would they be able to keep the money? After my bankruptcy order was issued I seemed to get quite a few 'substantial discount offers' of stupid amounts like 1k on a £3,400 debt (which they'd previously rejected a monthly plan for). Were they just chancing their arm at me somehow paying £1,000 on a debt they knew was now effectively worthless and they were set to get £0 from??

Comment

If you paid post BR it'd need refunded as it'd be seen as preference to a creditor. But common sense prevails - you ever get any shit and you send it to your OR to sort out.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yes make the OR work for his fat earnings!

Comment

Most OR's cant be bothered to do their job, they get paid little. That being said, the DCA should not be contacting you. Dont pay them ANYTHING. It will be seen as favouring a creditor, and you will find yourself in more shit than a phone call on xmas day.

Just ring the Insolvency service Monday, and tell them you are getting harassed and who by.

Comment

Working...
                      X