GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt and Mental Health - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt and Mental Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt and Mental Health

Hi

just thought that i would share with you an experience i had recently with my (ex) bank. My experience may help others in the same situation.

My health went into decline leading to me losing my job. i alerted my bank at the start of my financial difficulties and health problems - their response was to take me to court for debt one of the debts. The medical profession eventually got involved. i had several accounts with the bank, one of which they sold whilst knowing of my medical condition. i found out about Bank Lending Code 9 rules. Did a holding letter to the DCA who had brought my account, and complained directly to the bank quoting BLC 9, and BBOBs. Just over a week later i got a letter back from the bank with an apology, they shouldn't have sold the account because they had prior knowledge, have brought the account back and to compensate the distress they have caused wiped the account clean - now this was for a lot of money - several thousand pounds.

i wouldn't have had the courage to challenge the bank if not for these forums.

what i have learnt is the importance of opening the letters you are most afraid to when they arrive, and deal with them ASAP. (easier said than done when you are unwell). These forums are a godsend for helping/advising and sharing information to help challenge and redress some of the wrong doing of banks/dca's

i will be making a small donation to AAD, just sorry that i will not be able to afford more.

Re: Debt and Mental Health

Thank you so much for sharing this realfedup

It just goes to show how uncaring the banks etc can be but often back down when you stand up to them, which isn't easy at the best of times but even harder when you're in ill health.

Knowledge really is power.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well done Realfedup, it's hard enough dealing with these sharks under normal circumstances, but when you're ill it can literally ruin your life and take away your peace of mind.
      The old adage "talk to your bank" if you get into difficulties is a myth. As you've found out, they'll use it to their advantage if they can, call in overdrafts, ruin your credit score and mercilessly look after their own interests at your expense - if they think they can get away with it.
      You did exactly the right thing, they MUST treat you fairly if you are ill, and mental illness in particular should flag you up as vulnerable. I'm glad they did the right thing in the end.

Elsa x

Comment

Glad that the bank saw sense and you, after some heartache, got a result.
        My mental health has deteriorated over the past few months, due in no short measure to pressure from a bank. They have recently cancelled an overdraft account, demanded that it is paid in full (they have security by way of a mortgage). I've now been diagnosed with depression, stress, anxiety and hopelessness by our local NHS Trust, and am starting therapy/counselling next week. I have informed the bank of this and am waiting to see just how 'compassionate and helpful' they will be, however I'm not holding my breathe for any positive result.
        My problem with the bank has been going on for some time (PlanB knows the history and has been very helpful) and it seems that they have now run out of patience.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Exclus
          The first thing I would do is open a parachute account with an unconnected bank. That way you can negotiate for a token monthly payment towards the OD without fear of them offsetting.
          Might be an idea to start a thread about this...

Elsa x

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.
            Fortunately my wife has an account at another bank which we use.
            I have another thread on this in the housing section, and will update when there is any reply from the bank - or if they start any legal proceedings!

Comment

Originally posted by Exclus View Post
              My problem with the bank has been going on for some time (PlanB knows the history and has been very helpful) and it seems that they have now run out of patience.
              The bank may have run out of patience but I haven't

Originally posted by Exclus View Post
              will update when there is any reply from the bank - or if they start any legal proceedings!

Over my dead body will they repossess your home !

I'll read back through your housing thread to catch up before I post there http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post393306

Plan B x

Comment

There you go Exclus - there's always a Plan B!

Also, once the bank have replied if you need any help responding re the medical aspect do let me know..as a retired nurse it's one of my pet subjects.
                Have you written a "Formal Complaint" yet?
                Elsa x

Comment

Thanks PlanB and Elsa, it's so good to be offered support - I really do appreciate any and all help and assistance.
                  I have referred a couple of 'final response' letters to the FOS, and am waiting for them to investigate - they said it would be about 12 weeks before I would hear anything from them.
                  Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll update my own thread in the housing section in the next couple of days.

Comment

Hi Exclus

Please don't worry about hijacking this thread. :-) its make the thread more interesting and it’s good to have links onto other threads helping to ensure experience and updates on developments are shared:-)

Now because of excellent forum support and advice, my fear is dissipating i am gaining confidence im dealing with each creditor. All the letters i had tucked away in bin bags have now been opened and i have started a filing system (still working through putting things in date order). Best thing, i no longer have the fear i had of the postman arriving i know i can come here and get help without being judged or belittled.

i Have been reading through the mountain of paperwork that is my SARs. What i have now established is that the officer dealing with my complaint double checked my claim of a medical condition with the original officer that was dealing with my case and knew of my medical condition. It was this officer that confirmed to the complaints officer that ‘ we should not really have sold the account’ It was this same officer that sanctioned the return of the debt to the bank suggested to ‘right the situation’ the debt be cancelled and that they would take responsibility for the decision!

this officer also said ‘ i do not think D&I would be suitable given the customers situation’ the impression being that i would not be able to bank it???

my question is does anyone know what the layman's is for D&I? Unfortunately there is no other reference to this term that could explain what D&I means. What is it that the officer is assuming i would not be able to bank?

Thanks

Comment

Most (maybe all) of us are here because we have "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt," RFE - so we have all made our mistakes and learned from them. Perhaps sticking around to help others who are treading the same path that we stumbled along is part of the healing process, as I well remember being in that dark place where it seemed as though the only option was to just curl up and die. Forum people helped me, and in return I try and help others - who are we to judge those who are now learning what we learned. When I find myself behind a hesitant learner driver, I always try and remember what I was like when I was learning to drive - and I continue to learn. I remember dreading the postman and leaving mail unopened, so - well done for turning and facing the enemy. Taking things one step at a time is a thousand times better than not doing anything, and you sure seem to have turned things around, now.

"D & I" may refer to making a compensatory payment for causing "Distress and Inconvenienc.e"

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...onvenience.htm

Comment

Thanks Bill-K, i think you are right about D&I, now that its been explained it makes sense and would be in line with the content of the email between the 2 officers concerned.

i also agree about baby steps:-)

Comment

Administrators
                          Hi
                          I'm sent a email about a donation issue.

please confirm all OK:-)
                          RFU

Comment

Hi Realfedup, Sorry to hear of your circumstances, but pleased to see you are on the right track to taking control. Well done.
                            I usually just do it through Paypal. The address to send is: payments@all-about-debt.co.uk
                            Cheers
                            SA
                            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Apols for getting the 'abbrevo' wrong, RFU (as opposed to 'RFE' !!!) - I googled" D&I," and the FOS result seemed the most likely to fit your scenario. Indeedy - 'Baby steps' is what we sometimes have to revert to when we are short of confidence - and that is exactly what I found worked for me back then. And it continues to work for me when those dark clouds gather, and I feel myself 'going under' yet again.

I recently flagged up a problem with the donation procedure to AAD Admin, so - hopefully - it is being sorted. SA Gold seems to have a handle on it, so - with a little bit of luck - it will work via PayPal.

Bless you and thank you for considering a donation.

Comment

Working...
                              X