GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Trying to prepare - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to prepare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to prepare

Hello all.

I was working for my local county council until recently on a fixed term contact. I was hoping this would be renewed but due to some ill health it has not been. I have applied or sickness benefit and housing benefit and will be alright I think until they get paid. I have heard some awful stories about people not getting sickess benefit.

I have a few debts, not many but they come to about10000.The biggest one is for my car which I don't need a the moment but is not worth enough to pay off the loan. The others are a small overdaft, about £1000 on my credit card and some club books.

Any general advice as to how to deal would be very helpful

Re: Trying to prepare

Hi Pat

welcome to AAD. We will need greater detail about these debts, roughly how old they are, whether they are with the original creditor (OC), if and when they were defaulted. Also, without specifics, if your sickness is long term etc. there is a moderator who is very helpful with dealing with this. Depending on your answers, your thread may be moved to the UE diaries section.

Good luck
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hello and thank you for the quick reply

All of my debts are up to date. I think I will be too ill to work for some time, I have a couple of problems that need sorting but they need to do one before the other I want to be ready now how to talk to the banks .

Comment

Anyone ?

Comment

Hi Pat, when the agreements started? If they were pre 2007 them there may be problems with them being enforced. Would you be in a position to pay a reduced sum to clear them? What would you like to happen?
          Sorry to ask loads of questions without any answers, but before any suggestions can be made we need to know what is needed.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Cymruambyth

My first idea was to clear the car loan by selling the car but that isn't enough. If I did that I don't think I would ever get another car loan again and when I am better I will need one for work..

I can not afford to pay anything apart from a very small amount but that wont even cover the interest.. The car loan was taken out 2 years ago, everything else over the last 6 or 7 years . The earliest will have been October 2007 ( when I moved here).

All I want is to not get 100s of telephone calls and letters like you read about or watch on TV .I don't want anyone coming to my door and taking things away.

Comment

It is going to be about a year before I can go back to work if all goes well. I can prove what is wrong with me but I don't want everyone to know if you understand.

Comment

Hi Pat,
                Welcome to AAD
                It really depends on what you yourself want to do. Unfortunately anything other than maintaining contractual payments will impact on your Credit file which in turn will affect further borrowing.
                The options (in no particular order) are:

• Default on the debts by ceasing payment. This will trigger a flurry of letters and phone calls, but if you sit tight once they default/terminate interest and charges usually stop, so you can negotiate a repayment plan on a fixed amount not continually inflated by interest.

• Challenge the enforceability of the debts by sending for a copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement and having it checked on here. More about this HERE
                • Arrange your own Debt Management Plan with our help. This involves writing to your creditors explaining your circumstances and asking that they accept token payments. Sometimes, if your circumstances are severe enough, they will cease charging interest or even write off the debt...but that's quite rare. We have however had some success on here helping severely ill or disabled members to have debts written off. Most often though the creditors will begrudgingly allow a 6 month reduction in payments and may or may not freeze interest.
                • Start a Debt Management Plan with a free DMP company. They will negotiate with your creditors for you. Again there's no guarantee that interest will be frozen and bear in mind that they are funded by the credit industry.

In any event it would be helpful if you could start a debt diary as laid out HERE, so we can assess the best way forward with each individual debt.

It's obviously an anxious time for you but we'll do all we can to help you through it.
                Elsa x

Comment

Thank you Undercover Elsa. Let me have a read and get things rolling . I will get things set up and come back to you

Comment

Working...
                  X