X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renting

Hi Plan B,
    Some advice please if possible,
    My son and his partner have just rented a flat, having moved in 3 days ago, the heating does not work properly, the sink is not working as it has tissue paper where the washing machine should have been capped off when previous tenants left also toilet not flushing then to cap it all the female was at home alone (in the shower) when another estate agent let himself in with other potential renters. Is there anything they can do as the estate agents just say its not their fault.
    Helmsman

Re: renting

I would complain loud and long, most letting agents seem to be a shambles, so you need to get answers and fast.

assertive and calm, sounds like the owner hasn't been forthcoming

please check that the deposit has gone safely to where it should be, my DS has had horrendous trouble with a letting agent and a scammy owner.

I trust your son has everything in writing, inventory, contract etc?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
      I would complain loud and long, most letting agents seem to be a shambles, so you need to get answers and fast.

assertive and calm, sounds like the owner hasn't been forthcoming

please check that the deposit has gone safely to where it should be, my DS has had horrendous trouble with a letting agent and a scammy owner.

I trust your son has everything in writing, inventory, contract etc?
      Hi,
      They had an inventory done when they moved in pointed out the décor problems but had not looked at the sink or heating not up and running they have washing machine being delivered in a few days so that will sort out the sink problems but it seems they have the deposit and rent so they now don't care.

Comment

I fear the estate agent may be correct to say it's not their fault unless they are formerly "managing" the property on behalf of the Landlord. Otherwise everything is the Landlord's fault. Once the agent has handed over the keys they can walk away from the situation. The contract is a legal deal between Landlord and Tenant and no one else.

Is it being officially managed (it'll be written into the tenancy agreement) because that will change things?

I've got your PM and I'll be back online later

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
          it seems they have the deposit and rent so they now don't care.
          Any chance they paid the deposit and/or the first month's rent on a credit card?

That could help move things along using s.75 CCA

Comment

they have the deposit

The Landlord (or their agent) has 30 days to place the deposit into one of the Government approved schemes, so you'll have to wait another 27 days before you can make a fuss about that.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              Any chance they paid the deposit and/or the first month's rent on a credit card?

That could help move things along using s.75 CCA
              Hi,
              They had to pay cash as they had no card machine, the estate agents are managing all 10 flats.
              Helmsman

Comment

the estate agents are managing all 10 flats
                Goody

Wait till MrsD has got her hands on them - they won't know what's hit them.

Start as you mean to go on. First thing tomorrow they must read the riot act to the estate agent (by email).

If anyone walked in on me naked in the shower there would be hell to play! Once a Tenant has taken possession of a property no one can access it without their permission. Everything else is trespass (in legal terms).

Get them to start a diary of every single thing that does/doesn't happen until the agent has been knocked into shape (by Mrs D).

This should be fun

Comment

Goody

If anyone walked in on me naked in the shower they would need CPR ......................
                  IFYPFY
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would actually have called the police and told them that someone had broken into my home.

My son and wife have had to be witnesses in a criminal case because of the same sort of carryon, a letting agents who were supposed to be managing flats and only managing to stick all the money in their own bank account. So they need to raise merry hell, calm assertive email as PlanB says, BUT giving a tight timescale to getting answers. I would also try to find out who the owner is and try and copy them in. In DS's case, the owner had no idea what was going on, didn't know that the tenants were being charged a different rate from the one agreed and thought all the repairs were being done and the deposits safely stowed in the protection scheme, in actual fact none of this was happening.

so email first and see what happens from there

Comment

I would actually have called the police and told them that someone had broken into my home.
                      So would I, unless it was Gary Barlow or Russell Brand of course. In which case my major concern would be whether my cellulite was noticeable

Comment

My son and wife have had to be witnesses in a criminal case because of the same sort of carryon, a letting agents who were supposed to be managing flats and only managing to stick all the money in their own bank account. So they need to raise merry hell, calm assertive email as PlanB says, BUT giving a tight timescale to getting answers. I would also try to find out who the owner is and try and copy them in. In DS's case, the owner had no idea what was going on, didn't know that the tenants were being charged a different rate from the one agreed and thought all the repairs were being done and the deposits safely stowed in the protection scheme, in actual fact none of this was happening.

so email first and see what happens from there
                        Hi,
                        Thanks Email to estate agents sent listing all problems will see what they respond with and keep this updated.

Comment

So would I, unless it was Gary Barlow or Russell Brand of course. In which case my major concern would be whether my cellulite was noticeable
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi,
                            Thanks Email to estate agents sent listing all problems will see what they respond with and keep this updated.
                            Hi.
                            Email response they will sort the problems out we will wait and see.

Comment

Email response they will sort the problems out we will wait and see.
                              So I should think !

Comment

Working...
                              X