GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script British Gas Utility Bills - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Gas Utility Bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Utility Bills

British Gas

Our gas boiler broke last year so we no longer have any gas usage. The o/s bill was quite high but it's been whittled down slowly to £110.00 albeit we have missed 2 payments recently. Today we got a letter threatening to cut us off which would cost £278.00. we have 5 working days to pay (letter dated 29th Sept). Anyway phoned up and said we will pay £55.00 on the 8th and £55.00 on the 14th Oct.
    They still would not confirm that they would not cut us off even though we stated we haven't used any gas for months anyway. They asked why we couldn't pay now and when I said we haven't got any money the nice man said that he couldn't believe that !!
    I ended up hanging up in frustration.

we're actaully now able to pay £55.00 on the 6th and £55.00 on the 14th. Do you think they would call and dissconnect rather than wait 10 more days.
    Anyone got any experience of BG?

Re: Utility Bills PT 2

I would ring them back with your offer, i am sure if you pay the o/s amount it will stop a disconnection.

Please remember your utility bills are classed as a priority bill with your Rent/Mortgage water rates and council tax you must make sure these are paid above all other things each month. If you are in hardship these people will help you though as you have a missed a payment they may take this as a payment plan default.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Mrs O

Comment

The two missed payments are actually the final two payments, once they are paid we will owe BG zero. The guy on the phone was so irritating and just didn't seem to grasp the fact that we are not using any gas and haven't done since the boiler broke last Sept/Oct and he kept suggesting I set up a DD or he could send me a payment card or set up a payment plan! The only reason I rang was to let them know I was making these payments within the next 2 weeks and could they please put a note on my file so that no further charges or threats of disconnection were made. I'm afraid when the cheeky git said he couldn't believe I had no funds available to make a payment there and then, I saw red, was I supposed to offer to show him my bank statements! Sorry but it makes me so angry that so alled customer services can treat customers in this manner. I think I may get OH to try again tomorrow, he's a lot calmer than me ;Red

Comment

Could you give them a meter reading so that their records are accurate? If they have a problem with virtually no change to the reading they can come out and inspect the meter, its probably the only way to convince them that there is no further usage so you are not behind on payments once the last installments are paid.
        When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Just an update.
          Have already had meter read etc and preivious telecons cornfirmed that we were not using any gas.
          OH made first payment over the phone and explained that final payment will be made next week, but I haven't spoken to him yet so don't know what BG have said. Will let you know.

Yes we had financial problems in the recent past but are now able to get everything sorted out and back on track, it's just so frustrating when these big companies don't want to listen and try to push you into a corner.
          We had a rep from Warm Front visit to day and I'm pleased to say we will be getting a new boiler installed FOC, although it could take anything from 6 weeks to 6 months. Needless to say we will be looking into cheaper/better suppliers than BG!

Comment

For missing two payments they cannot just cut you off - point is, pay them asap and see what they do.

If they cut you off, PM me and i'll sort it for you - I know BG quite well, and to get round them (default removal and the likes)....
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thankyou Niddy ;K7 I think we are going to be ok now but will keep you in mind.

Comment

Re: British Gas Utility Bills

Gas price rise? Just say no thanks
                [size=5]Customers can reject their supplier's price rises while switching to another energy provider.
                Scottish Power was the latest company to announce a price rise late on Friday. Customers will see gas prices go up by 2pc and electricity prices by 8.9pc from November 25. British Gas is increasing prices by 7pc on December 10, while Scottish & Southern Energy will raise gas prices by 9pc on December 1.

Other providers are expected to follow suit, except for EDF Energy, which has announced a price freeze on all standard tariffs until March. It confirmed late last week that this included its online tariff, which is now the cheapest on the market.

Under Ofgem rules, energy companies cannot enforce their price rises if a customer tells them that they reject the rise within 20 working days of receiving a letter about it. At present, energy companies can send letters about price increases up to 65 working days after the increase has been applied.

Once customers have informed the supplier that they reject the price rise, YOUthey must make arrangements to switch suppliers within 15 working days. [size=5]The switch will then take around six weeks, during which time the customer will continue to enjoy the lower price More from Info from Media Link viewtopic.php?p=37255#p37255
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                X