GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Urgent advice needed re shower installed without certification - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent advice needed re shower installed without certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent advice needed re shower installed without certification

I'm currently trying to sell my house, pay off the mortgage and then buy a house outright with the remainder of the proceeds.

I've accepted an offer and have been busy househunting. However, I've handed my forms in to the solicitor and been hit with a bombshell.

Three years ago, I started on a training course for a new job in London. As it was my intention to return to my home in the north once I had qualified, I decided to let my house out through a letting agent.

Apparently the agents had been having trouble finding a tenant for it at first because it didn't have a shower. But then they informed me that a couple who they regarded as good customers of theirs liked the house and wanted to know if I would be willing to let them install a shower at their own expense. They put it to me that the man was a qualified builder and would do a professional job and that it would add value to the house.

I had my concerns about the standard of the work etc but I felt like I had a gun to my head, especially as my new employers were being tinpot Nazis about not allowing us to use our mobile phones except during breaks during the training course, making it very difficult to manage the situation from 200 miles away.

The "at our own expense" offer then became a "can we have a rent reduction if we install the shower" request. In hindsight, I should have told them to fuck off at this point but, in the circumstances I was in, I made a deal to meet them half-way on this. As it happened, an old back injury recurred during this training course (it was a vocational degree as an NHS professional, so I was treated very much like an employee rather than a student) and for various reasons that I won't go into here, I ended up being slung off the course and at this point unable to return to my own home until the tenants' initial six months had expired. What a mess, eh?

But eventually, I was able to return to my house and the shower installation looked like it had been a competent job. A new circuit and circuit breaker had been added to the fusebox, a pullcord switch was installed in the bathroom etc.

However, I was completely oblivious to the change in building regulations that required that any such work carried out after 1 Jan 2005 needed to have either a certificate by a qualified person or approval from building control.

This has now arisen as an issue because of the conveyancing process and my solicitor wanted to know what certification there was for this work and of course I have nothing to show for it. She has said we could get indemnity insurance to cover the fact that it's non-compliant with building regs (even though I understand that the council could only do something about it one year after the work was done and that time has expired, so the indemnity is a pointless waste of money). The trouble with this, I understand, is that it may not surprisingly alarm the buyer and lead to them pulling out or expecting a price reduction.

I believe the former tenants are still in the area and I should be able to find them. I wonder if it is worth approaching them with a view to rectifying the situation? If he has made a cowboy installation without notifying building control etc, then he'll be in deep doo-doo if I report him, won't he?

I could also try chasing the letting agent. I still have some correspondence about this offer on Gmail. There was also some discussion on the phone about it, which I don't have a record of, but the emails are still evidence that this offer was made - and with the agent's full knowledge. The agent at no time mentioned certification was necessary and they do have a duty of care to keep abreast of relevant legislation, surely?

So I'm also minded to approach this agent direct and demand that they sort this mess out, e.g. by getting their in-house maintenance people to inspect the work, reinstall if necessary and certify it. If they don't, I will report them to the council and to their professional body (ARLA - association of residential letting agents, of which the agent boasts so much about being a member), find my own electrician to do the remedial work and sue them in small claims for the costs.

Or should I just pay through the nose for all this myself like a mug and just put it down to bad experience? This could cost several hundred pounds to put right and it's money I just don't have. I'm actually unemployed at the moment and I'm selling the house to escape a benefits trap (if I take on a temporary job for a few weeks, for example, and then have to sign back on, I end up losing the mortgage interest payments). Selling the house and buying somewhere outright means I'm free to take up whatever work I please without having to worry about mortgage or rent and housing benefit etc.
    Last edited by evilcartman; 2 June 2012, 08:05.

Re: Urgent advice needed re shower installed without certification

Sorry I don't have any knowledge of Building Regulations or letting agencies but hopefully someone on the forum will and will be able to suggest the best way forward for you.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well it looks like you have too options open to you one involving money to be spent the other not.

You either get a Part P inspection done and any faults rectified if there are any by a certified Part P Inspector or electrician with the required certification.

Or

Take the Shower out yourself putting the dwelling back as was although this may now be hard to do as both the purchaser and Solicitor know about it, they may however accept with a slight reduction in selling price although you will have to put this to there solicitor first.

Just to add, there is no harm in getting a few quotes and seeing how much it will cost as that should cost you nothing and it may well make any decision easier for you.

Regards
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 2 June 2012, 09:53.

Comment

OK here we go, Is it an Over Bath Shower or did it involve building a shower enclosure of any structural work?

If it didn't then building consent and Regs don't even enter into it. Yes from 2005 any electrical work involving a New Circuit, like the cable and RCD to run an electric shower requires a certificate of Test by a competent person.

One of the reasons I pulled out of electrical work back in around 2005 was the cost of keeping up to date with the legal requirements.

At one time any competent DIY'er could do the wiring then get someone in to test and issue a certificate, then the industry changed the goal posts and made it that the company or individual who did the wiring had to do the test.

Now here is a thought? as a Landlord at the time you should have had an electrical test done on your property as a legal requirement. Now even if you didn't do this I would look at getting in an Electrical Contractor to do a Wiring and Insulation Test. This isn't that big a thing, I used to do a complete office block in a few days.

Armed with a certificate of electrical test and compliance for your property, you can tell the conveyancing solicitor where to get off.

Most don't understand the Building or Planning Regs anyway. Years ago when I sold my house I was stalled by work I had done myself some 20 years earlier. I got fed up of giving lectures about the rules that were in place at the time of work.

Tis a shame you didn't say the work was completed pre 2005.

I will be around this evening If I can be of any further help.

Regards, Handy
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

It's an over bath shower, no structural works involved. The electrics are the issue and they should have been certified.

If I'd known about this situation before yesterday, then yes, I would have said it was installed before 2005 and saved myself a lot of grief. But it's too late for that.

I've seen various bits of conflicting advice about what to do next. I'm told that I'm not actually in danger of any action myself under the building regs as the time in which the council could have taken action has elapsed. The indemnity is therefore useless - but it does seem to keep the conveyancers happy. :-/

I'm more concerned about whether it's going to put off the buyer. If I have to spend any money on this whatsoever, I'm going to recover it from the installer and the letting agent as I believe I have a strong case against them, especially as I was paying them for a full management service, not just finding the tenants.
          Last edited by evilcartman; 2 June 2012, 10:26.

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it would cost more than £50 to get a sparky to inspect the instillation, so I wouldn't have thought it was that bigger deal.

But as you said get the letting manager sort it, it happened on their watch, so it should be their problem.!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
              I wouldn't have thought it would cost more than £50 to get a sparky to inspect the instillation, so I wouldn't have thought it was that bigger deal.

But as you said get the letting manager sort it, it happened on their watch, so it should be their problem.!!!
              I've spoken to an electrician who says he'd be prepared to sort it out for £60, so yes, bit of a storm in a teacup really. I'd seen discussions of these sorts of issues elsewhere and it looked like it could run into hundreds of pounds, which was more of a worry.

This sparky has also worked as a subcontractor for this agency and he pretty much confirms my impressions of them.

Comment

What I'd like to know is whether Cartman's shower killed Kenny.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  What I'd like to know is whether Cartman's shower killed Kenny.
                  OMG, I killed Kenny!

Comment

It turns out the tenant actually got qualified people in to do the work and it's all certified.

Comment

So Kenny's OK?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        So Kenny's OK?
                        Until next weeks installment (the Gas cooker)
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
                          It turns out the tenant actually got qualified people in to do the work and it's all certified.
                          Oh how I love a happy ending

Comment

Working...
                          X