GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Phone Contract!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phone Contract!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Contract!!

Hi All,

My phone contract is just about to expire. As some of you know, I recently moved house ... but my major creditors do not know. I have mail forwarding and am responding to all their correspondence etc.

So ... if I upgrade with my current provider, they will use internal data and not perform a credit check ... GREAT ...

.... well they only send handsets to the address on file.

So I'm tempted to go into the store and upgrade there ... but they need proof of address. All that I have that is within 3 months old is a receipt for Oil purchase from an oil heating company. I'm sure that would count as a utility !?

Otherwise I'm stuck with dropping down to a PAYG SIM, which isn't a problem really.

Would I be committing fraud if I upgraded my handset with false address info??

My issue is that if I tell them my new address, the CRA's are informed and then everyone knows my new address! Grrrreat.

I'd tried to get a OnePlan, 1 month rolling with Three, but even for that they want a credit check!! Grrrr.

I guess I'd prefer to be PAYG, but I'd get a cracking new android handset for £10 a month more that over 2 years would cost £240, rather than £500 sim-free.

Thoughts .. NID?

PS I've got an iPhone 3GS, and tempted to move to Android now ... just for the flexibility. Ive always jailbroken every iPhone I've had, just to get things I want on there.
    "Cheap is good, but FREE is better!"

Re: Phone Contract!!

From what I know generally upgrades aren't done through criedt checks.

if your staying with the same provider.

Comment

what network?

as o2 let me upgrade on phone and collect instore
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

With 3 as long as you want to stay on the same package you're fine. Their credit check is very light touch. I get credit with no problem from them. Initially I had to pay £75 which they refunded after 6 months, and since then I've been able to get what I want from them. If you know you'd get it at your old address, put it at that and then phone to say you've moved.

Comment

Can you ask them to deliver it to a "work address"

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, some answers:
            • I'm with T-Mobile at present.
            • It seems their policy is to delivery to address on file, and won't deliver to work addresses
            • I'd been keen on 3, but they wanted to do a credit check. I now have multiple defaults listed against me. However the issue is that I don't want my Credit File being updated with my new address ... this is based on Niddy's advice. I'm not sure I could process an application based on the old address then get it sent to the new one.
            • I may try to upgrade over the phone and then collect in store, as that would be ideal!

Comment

Have the credit reference agencies twigged you've moved yet? Their systems are not always up to date. You can check free with Equifax and Experian, but cancel your trial period. If they haven't, then you should be OK.

If you went to 3 I assure you the worst case scenarion would be they'd ask for a £75 deposit to hold for 6 months. They're good as gold at returning it.

I have 3 CCJ's, 14 defaults and am awaiting bankruptcy for around £100000 of debt, so if they'll give me credit I don't think you'll have a problem.

Comment

I'm not sure, I tried to login to my CreditExpert account the other day, but it wants to charge me ... I think I've run out of freebies on that one!

My ideal scenario would be to:
                Call 3, explain I don't want a credit check and that I'm happy to give current residence information, and be prepared to put a "deposit" down in lieu of a credit search. Not sure they are that flexible though!

I'm just a little concerned that I'd be fraudulent getting an upgrade with T-Mobile based upon old address, and then a bit stuck if they twig that I've moved and ask for new address details!

... although if they did that, I guess I'd just give them the details of the address which I rent out ... I have a mail forwarder from there too!

Comment

OK heres the thing are you registered on the Electoral roll at your new address? Have your bank details been changed to your new addy?

If not the criedit check that the phone companies use is to see if your bank address matches with your current (i went into an o2 store to ask)

So why not order the phone to the old address and wait for redirect?

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm not registered with the Electoral Roll at the new address, unless it's fed from the Council Tax listing.

Bank details changed to new address yes.

Aaah yes, I forgot they check the bank address with the current address. Forgot that one!

Ordering phone to new address won't work ... they use couriers, not normal post ... so it wouldn't be redirected!

Comment

If you have mail redirect set up i would just register at old address as they arent doing a check anyway and get the phone sent their. Then after it arrives just call up tmobile and change address
                      I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Originally posted by billypre View Post
                        If you have mail redirect set up i would just register at old address as they arent doing a check anyway and get the phone sent their. Then after it arrives just call up tmobile and change address
                        The phone will be sent via courier, hence the redirect won't work.

The whole plan is not to update my credit record with new address. So changing it with T-Mobile means they'd put a new address on my credit file.

Comment

What about going into the shop? and getting your upgrade done that way?Give old address, you get your upgrade there and then so no postage?

Comment

I think that's what I'm going to have to do ... assuming the shop has the flexibility too. Plus need confirmation of address too, best dig out the old oil statement.

Comment

the only flaw in the above that i can see is with your bank having your new current address.

will they then not update your CF's with a linked address?
                              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X