GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Most used Software free or paid for (or not) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most used Software free or paid for (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most used Software free or paid for (or not)

What is everyone most used software on their systems?

Mine are
    Windows 7 Professional
    Firefox & Chrome
    Windows Live Mail
    Winace (all those zip rar ace files)
    Power Iso
    Dvd Fab
    Anyplace Control (for controlling 2nd laptop and desktop from netbook)
    MS Office 2003 (also 2007 but prefer 2003)/ Open office
    Klite Codec Pack (films etc via Media Player classic which installs with it)
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Teracopy (so much quicker than standard windows copying)
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Itunes
    Ccleaner
    Defraggler
    Speccy
    Cpu-z
    Gpu-z

Anybody use anything different for similar things (i.e have you found it better worse etc etc)
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Most used Software free or paid for (or not)

Firefox
    MS Office 2003
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    iTunes
    Ghostery (Add On for Firefox)
    Ccleaner
    Vista Premium
    MS Office 2007
    Google Earth (A lot quicker than Google Maps)
    Windows Calendar
    Corel Paintshop Photo Pro 3x
    Handbrake
    Nero 8
    Future Mark (Onion Benchmark - not used anymore)
    Last edited by 5corpio; 23 May 2012, 17:26.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry to be pernickerty but windows installations, or Operating Systems, are not software - they are in fact OS's.

I use Notepad (css coding), cPanel (websites), FTP (uploading sites & data), Firefox & Chrome (browsing & testing), photoshop (image editing) & outlook/webmail.

That's it.

Those programs above allow everything to build, manage, maintain and run a website. If you remove any one piece, you're fucked
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Wow
        I am thick as most of those words scare the shit out of me
        On my laptop I use
        Windows Live
        AVG Pro (came with laptop)
        Chrome
        IE
        Office 2010
        Adobe reader
        software that comes with phone etc
        Media Player
        Thats about it

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Sorry to be pernickerty but windows installations, or Operating Systems, are not software - they are in fact OS's.

OS?..isnt than an abbreviation of Operating Software (or indeed systems!)

Hmm such a big list i'll post up later..EEK!

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
            OS?..isnt than an abbreviation of Operating Software (or indeed systems!)

Hmm such a big list i'll post up later..EEK!
            Its Operating System and the system is a program not software
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ubuntu (Linux).

Which is most definitely both an OS AND "software".
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                You must use other programs in addition to the OS…
                Yep. I was just debating what to list.

Comment

KDE (desktop environment)
                  Firefox (browser)
                  Thunderbird (email)
                  LibreOffice (Office)
                  Shutter (screenshots)
                  akregator (feed reader)
                  VirtualBox (Virtual machines)
                  Maple (Maths)
                  SigmaPlot (Scientific data/plotting) via wine/VB
                  VLC (multimedia)
                  Clementine (music)

+ many many more that have already been mentioned, are really just occasional use, or really part of something else.
                  Last edited by Riz; 24 May 2012, 08:13.

Comment

On SSD

W7 ultimate
                    Office 2010
                    Daemon tools lite
                    VLC media player
                    Utorrent
                    Peer blocker
                    Tera copy
                    Chrome
                    Firefox
                    Aura
                    Adobe CS5 suite

on HDD
                    all sorts of various tosh! (nero etc)
                    Last edited by philnicandamy; 24 May 2012, 12:13.

Comment

Use most of the above and I would add TOR for looking at some sites censored otherwise.
                      Nero(for burning CD's for personal useage of course ).

Comment

Windows 7
                        Chrome
                        Office 2010
                        utorrent
                        vlc player
                        filezilla
                        winrar
                        imgburn
                        nod32
                        newsleecher
                        Last edited by Bricktop; 17 June 2012, 22:36.

Comment

u torrent
                          bad boy

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            Its Operating System and the system is a program not software
                            Only this once would i ever disagreed with you mate but, definition of software is

Computer instructions or data. Anything that can be stored electronically is software
                            Windows operating systems are software, program, is short for programming, which is what you do when creating software

What i use are

Thunderbird
                            Firefox / IE / Chrome
                            Notepad++ (better syntax for file type editing)
                            Autoit
                            Photoshop CS3
                            Jasc Paint Shop Pro (Hate PSP after sony bought em)
                            MS Office 2003 / 10
                            Microsoft Works 9
                            Cute FTP
                            ImToo File Renamer

Its late so prob missed loads lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                              You must use other programs in addition to the OS…

I would say operating systems fall under software as well - they are neither hardware nor firmware. Time to crawl back to my hole me thinks!
                              One could also argue that even hardware have some software

Most hardwares which require any automation even the most basic level have microchips.

These chips carry sets of instructions. They are usually held using something like X86 Assembly. Which is essentially just a peice of code which pushes values around to obtain an outcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X