GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script British Gas Threats - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Gas Threats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Threats

Having just moved in with my fiance I am now back in the realm of the utility robots.

First up is British Gas,

We are currently being supplied both gas and electric, having lost her housing benefit on the 07/07/14 we have a months worth of rent to catch up on as she wasn't notified until 04 August. That's the reason I moved in rather than wait until Sept, save dealing with the DWP and fresh claims. The Housing Association we are with have been brilliant regarding this so no complaint there.

British Gas sent bills for £110 and £70 for the period of Apr to Jul 2014. The bill date is 07/07/2014, payment due 21/07/14.

I moved in 04 August, BG have been phoning regularly. I stated we could clear the balance at the end of August. They responded by telling us we would have to have a prepayment meter fitted. I rejected that line of thought.

Today a letter dated the 9th (yes, it took 5 days to arrive!) stating a warrant will be obtained to enter our premises under section 2 of the 1954 rights of entry blah blah etc etc and charge this, cost that, locksmith etc etc.

In order to stop this, we've called them wishing to pay £20 per week, an amount i feel is fair given the amount owed. As she does not have payment permissions on her card and can't do Direct Debits we requested to pay at the post office or paypoint via a payment card. I'd rather not give them my visa debit or credit card details as the last time i told BG to take £20 for my bill at a previous address they repeatedly attempted to take £306 so I am very wary of this.

They informed us they no longer send out payment cards and we cannot pay over the counter, it must be card and it must be the full amount or the warrant would be obtained. We're currently waiting for a manager to call back as we're not happy about being told this. We're not holding our breathe...
    I have told her to put me on the phone as I will be wishing to attend the magistrates court for this hearing for the warrant application. As far as i am concerned we are making a valid offer and they are refusing it by informing us that we cannot pay by cash.
    Anything else i can put into this to really cause them grief?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Re: British Gas Threats

I don't know much about this im afraid, but hopefully someone else will.

What I do know is the courts dish out these warrants like confetti, and its very rare that you will know when the court day was, until they are at your door with the warrant.

Is there anyone (friend or family) who could lend you the money to pay in full, and then agree to repay them at the rate BG are refusing to accept? the best way forward here is to try and stop them obtaining the warrant.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Greetings JudgeDreddy

Right time to quit liaising with the minions as it in my experience gets you no where as they work to a script.

Here is the contact details for the MD, Email him ASAP explaining the situation and get across that they are being heavy-handed considering you have made a good offer for repayment and thus there is no need for the actions BG wish to take.

Mark the email as urgent

Mr Ian Peters Managing Director
      Email Ian.Peters@britishgas.co.uk
      Telephone 01753 494343
      http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=121322

When his office reads it they will pass on to the top tier of complaints and thus you will find they will be more keen to help you.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        I don't know much about this im afraid, but hopefully someone else will.

What I do know is the courts dish out these warrants like confetti, and its very rare that you will know when the court day was, until they are at your door with the warrant.

Is there anyone (friend or family) who could lend you the money to pay in full, and then agree to repay them at the rate BG are refusing to accept? the best way forward here is to try and stop them obtaining the warrant.
        Indeed and why I recommend the above in my post.

Comment

Thanks Pompey, great advice. Ill let you take over from here
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

@Judge - as above mate. BG are f***** chumps at the best of times. Get that email sent before it all gets out of hand.
            Good luck, and post back with the reply/outcome.
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Can I just help a bit here.......

Ok, what Pompey says is bang-on. BG are wrong in what they're saying - they can only insist on a repayment card / meter upon serious arrears. One late bill is not serious arrears.

I would email the CEO (Ian Peters) as Pompey says above, with something along the lines of:

Dear Mr Peters,

Formal Complaint - Ref: xxxxxxxx

We are currently being supplied both gas and electric yet as a result of my partner having lost her housing benefit on the 07/07/14 we have a months worth of rent to catch up on which meant that the bill sent by British Gas couldn't be paid immediately. There were two bills sent, one for £110 and another for £70 to cover the period of Apr to Jul 2014. The bill date is 07/07/2014 with a payment due date of 21/07/14. 14 days was not enough time for us to settle the arrears so I called to try and arrange a repayment plan for these bills whilst we get back on our feet.

British Gas have been phoning a lot (bordering harassment) and we have repeatedly offered to clear the arrears at £20
              per week which is all we can really afford at the present time which should mean it'll be cleared in 2 months which is long before the next bills are due to be generated. My partner cannot do DD's on her type of bank account and does not have a debit card therefore we offered to pay cash at the Post Office, use PayPoint or via a Payment Card.

We were recently informed that you no longer send out payment cards and we cannot pay over the counter at the Post Office and was told that it MUST be by card otherwise a warrant would be obtained to enter our premises etc. This is absolutely staggering behaviour over such a small amount that is not even a month in arrears yet, and will be cleared before the next bills are due if you actually take payment from me.

I received a letter yesterday (Thurs 14/08/14) dated 9th August stating a warrant will be obtained to enter our premises under section 2 of the 1954 rights of entry blah blah etc etc and charge this, cost that, locksmith etc etc. No I am sorry you cannot do this until at least after 28 days of the payment being due (not yet), with no offer being made (it has) and you must have a damned good reason to push ahead - bearing in mind our affordability and vulnerability issues. We feel £80 per month is more than enough to sort this matter in a couple of months.

This is vile bullying behaviour that will not be tolerated. I have made an extremely good offer (to clear the arrears before the next bills are due) and will honour this however your hard-line approach to recovering arrears is bang out of order and actually goes against industry standards for arrears and the behaviour of energy companies in handling sensitive cases and vulnerable adults.

As per your own rules it is clear you allow several ways to pay; this is outlined on your website and on all literature sent out by British Gas -> http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and...can-I-pay.html

There is nothing in any terms that may be applicable to us that suggest you may dictate that we pay by card in one go. As your website shows your bank details, we will arrange that £20 is deposited into your bank account using the customer reference number at the top of this letter each week until the arrears are clear. If British Gas attempt to enter our property the Police will be called and civil action will be sought against you. As you know full well, so long as payments are being received you cannot act in this way and as the arrears are so minimal and over one invoice period you have no right (legal or otherwise) to enter our property and change any meter - I suggest you arrange for your arrears collections advisers to have some retraining because the threats they are making are actually unlawful in lines with your own regulatory guidance.

Please can you arrange for any action you may have unlawfully commenced cease immediately, there will be a payment of £20 in the account today as agreed.

Yours sincerely,

Enter both names here

================================================== ===================================

You need to pay it into their bank (start today if you can) using the following:

Internet banking

Make a transfer from your bank straight to ours. Use your Customer Reference Number as the reference (in the top right-hand corner of your bill/statement - it starts with 85). It's really important that you use your Customer Reference Number only, and nothing else. This way we'll be able to automatically match your payment with your account.
              Our account details are:
              • Sort code: 40-05-30
              • Account number: 71584685
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Judge - when are you going to change your signature
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy,

Man I so love your letters should add that to your speciality letters so can be edited to use again if needs must.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Can I just help a bit here.......

Ok, what Pompey says is bang-on. BG are wrong in what they're saying - they can only insist on a repayment card / meter upon serious arrears. One late bill is not serious arrears.

I would email the CEO (Ian Peters) as Pompey says above, with something along the lines of:
                    Dear Mr Peters,

Formal Complaint - Ref: xxxxxxxx

We are currently being supplied both gas and electric yet as a result of my partner having lost her housing benefit on the 07/07/14 we have a months worth of rent to catch up on which meant that the bill sent by British Gas couldn't be paid immediately. There were two bills sent, one for £110 and another for £70 to cover the period of Apr to Jul 2014. The bill date is 07/07/2014 with a payment due date of 21/07/14. 14 days was not enough time for us to settle the arrears so I called to try and arrange a repayment plan for these bills whilst we get back on our feet.

British Gas have been phoning a lot (bordering harassment) and we have repeatedly offered to clear the arrears at £20
                    per week which is all we can really afford at the present time which should mean it'll be cleared in 2 months which is long before the next bills are due to be generated. My partner cannot do DD's on her type of bank account and does not have a debit card therefore we offered to pay cash at the Post Office, use PayPoint or via a Payment Card.

We were recently informed that you no longer send out payment cards and we cannot pay over the counter at the Post Office and was told that it MUST be by card otherwise a warrant would be obtained to enter our premises etc. This is absolutely staggering behaviour over such a small amount that is not even a month in arrears yet, and will be cleared before the next bills are due if you actually take payment from me.

I received a letter yesterday (Thurs 14/08/14) dated 9th August stating a warrant will be obtained to enter our premises under section 2 of the 1954 rights of entry blah blah etc etc and charge this, cost that, locksmith etc etc. No I am sorry you cannot do this until at least after 28 days of the payment being due (not yet), with no offer being made (it has) and you must have a damned good reason to push ahead - bearing in mind our affordability and vulnerability issues. We feel £80 per month is more than enough to sort this matter in a couple of months.

This is vile bullying behaviour that will not be tolerated. I have made an extremely good offer (to clear the arrears before the next bills are due) and will honour this however your hard-line approach to recovering arrears is bang out of order and actually goes against industry standards for arrears and the behaviour of energy companies in handling sensitive cases and vulnerable adults.

As per your own rules it is clear you allow several ways to pay; this is outlined on your website and on all literature sent out by British Gas -> http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and...can-I-pay.html

There is nothing in any terms that may be applicable to us that suggest you may dictate that we pay by card in one go. As your website shows your bank details, we will arrange that £20 is deposited into your bank account using the customer reference number at the top of this letter each week until the arrears are clear. If British Gas attempt to enter our property the Police will be called and civil action will be sought against you. As you know full well, so long as payments are being received you cannot act in this way and as the arrears are so minimal and over one invoice period you have no right (legal or otherwise) to enter our property and change any meter - I suggest you arrange for your arrears collections advisers to have some retraining because the threats they are making are actually unlawful in lines with your own regulatory guidance.

Please can you arrange for any action you may have unlawfully commenced cease immediately, there will be a payment of £20 in the account today as agreed.

Yours sincerely,

Enter both names here

================================================== ===================================

You need to pay it into their bank (start today if you can) using the following:
                    Hi Judgy - yes send this off today, and hopfully head things off before the 'computer says no' generation get further along in the process.

ps - Niddy - I also added the above to my internet favourites until you sticky it or add it to the templates section
                    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      Judge - when are you going to change your signature
                      Thanks for the letter Niddy, e-mailed it off. As for signiture... never i say! NEVER!! Mwah ha ha ha ha
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeDreddy View Post
                        As for signiture... never i say! NEVER!! Mwah ha ha ha ha

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Don't understand why they said they will not issue payment cards. I have a British Gas Card for years, every month I pay cash in at Pay point. Currently £178.00 in credit. Are you saying that I will not get another Gas card?

Comment

No mate that's nonsense; they do issue payment cards (just not solely for arrears unless you request one and can't pay any other way)

Comment

Now that's interesting.

Had another call from them making thinly veiled threats. Asked the phone troll if the name Ian Peters rang any bells? Troll said no, went back to script about arrears pay in full, warrent application etc. I pointed out Ian Peters was the CEO and supreme overload of all phone trolls and that I'd emailed a complaint over a few days previous. He put me on hold..... Came back, £20 per week is suddenly acceptable. Got a full apology and a letter will be sent out in the next few days.

Meany

Comment

Working...
                              X