GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Winter warning - check your payments! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter warning - check your payments!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter warning - check your payments!

Hi All

Just a word of warning as we are halfway through the winter season.........

I check my electricity balance and payments online towards the end of each month and there is a good reason for that which has just been proven correct.

Scottish Power decided to 're-assess' my energy usage and increased my DD payment by almost £60/month, without informing me, and even if they had informed me it would have been in breach of the DD Guarantee which states that I am meant to be given 10 working days notice.

I have contacted them, and they have had to concede that they have not given me enough notice and returned the payment to the original amount.

However, had I not been on the ball, and spotted that they had adjusted the payment, I would have been £60 out of pocket this week, which would have had a devastating impact as it would have caused other DD's to bounce. I appreciate that the DD Guarantee would have protected me, but you can imagine the hassle contacting my bank to get the money and charges refunded.

So warning to everyone - get online and check what your payments are set to and check them regularly. It would appear that Scottish Power think that they are above the DD Guarantee and can just change payments to what they like, when they like.

Best
    SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Winter warning - check your payments!

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
    Hi All

Just a word of warning as we are halfway through the winter season.........

I check my electricity balance and payments online towards the end of each month and there is a good reason for that which has just been proven correct.

Scottish Power decided to 're-assess' my energy usage and increased my DD payment by almost £60/month, without informing me, and even if they had informed me it would have been in breach of the DD Guarantee which states that I am meant to be given 10 working days notice.

I have contacted them, and they have had to concede that they have not given me enough notice and returned the payment to the original amount.

However, had I not been on the ball, and spotted that they had adjusted the payment, I would have been £60 out of pocket this week, which would have had a devastating impact as it would have caused other DD's to bounce. I appreciate that the DD Guarantee would have protected me, but you can imagine the hassle contacting my bank to get the money and charges refunded.

So warning to everyone - get online and check what your payments are set to and check them regularly. It would appear that Scottish Power think that they are above the DD Guarantee and can just change payments to what they like, when they like.

Best
    SnV
    A good reason not to pay by DD.

Comment

That is just malicious and insane. What possible reason is there for behaving like that? I can understand why it may be necessary to increase the payment from time to time, but why on Earth would you not tell the consumer?

If you tell them, they could choose to change supplier. But, if you don't tell them, the type of chaos which is described here could easily ensue, resulting in formal complaints to the CEO, a report to the Energy Ombudsman, and a seriously angry consumer who will be far more determined to change even if the alternative tariff is not cheaper.

I would find out which is the cheapest tariff in your area. If it is not Scortish Power, change suppliers and let them know exactly why. If they are the cheapest, it is still worth a formal complaint as they have clearly acted unreasonably if not unlawfully.

SH

Comment

Scottish Power did that to me years ago, and I incurred charges from the Bank as I use to deposit enough per month for DDs, hence I left that company years ago.

Complain to them? well you can try?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

i dont use DD on energy = dont understand why anyone does

Comment

I dont use DD on anything it is an open bank account to them. if I can't pay to my own choosing I don't buy simple as.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
              I dont use DD on anything it is an open bank account to them. if I can't pay to my own choosing I don't buy simple as.
              Me tooI am with SP also, keep whinging about payments (I send them money every month) enough to cover the bill when it arrives sometimes a few £ short then they tell me I cant move as I owe them.
              Last edited by helmsman; 28 January 2013, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                That is just malicious and insane. What possible reason is there for behaving like that? I can understand why it may be necessary to increase the payment from time to time, but why on Earth would you not tell the consumer?

If you tell them, they could choose to change supplier. But, if you don't tell them, the type of chaos which is described here could easily ensue, resulting in formal complaints to the CEO, a report to the Energy Ombudsman, and a seriously angry consumer who will be far more determined to change even if the alternative tariff is not cheaper
                Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                Complain to them? well you can try?
                I think I may just raise a formal complaint, it was a blatant breach of the DD Scheme and its Guarantee, and if I hadn't have logged in when I did to check my account then they money would have been taken leaving me short.

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                i dont use DD on energy = dont understand why anyone does
                Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                Me too.
                Completely understand the sentiments. Unfortunately I had to agree to pay by DD for Scottish Power to agree to a payment arrangement when I fell into arrears a couple of years ago.

This is the second time they have done this to me in 18 months, but fortunately another couple of months and I won't be in arrears so I will go back to paying my leccy quarterly.

What SP have done is basically calculated my annual consumption using the most expensive bills, as opposed to using summer figures.

Their response was that they now review customers consumption very quarter and adjust the DD accordingly, but if thats the case then we are effectively being billed quarterly but paying upfront!

Its just frustrating that its yet another company/industry that you have to watch like hawks for behaving improperly/immorally/unlawfully.
                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

Or they may of started which SSC seem to be doing basing the DD on 3 monthly bill ( to get most paid off) as I found they are doing, they ask me to pay more than the required amount which would be lower over the year they forecast.

This means I have to pay an extra £7.00 a week, they state they only agree to 3 monthly arrangement, also I have had the facility taken away because I happened to pay the odd amount of a bill and not just the basic payment, a computer does not see it is an over payment and treats it as a broken agreement amount.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                    Or they may of started which SSC seem to be doing basing the DD on 3 monthly bill ( to get most paid off) as I found they are doing, they ask me to pay more than the required amount which would be lower over the year they forecast.

This means I have to pay an extra £7.00 a week, they state they only agree to 3 monthly arrangement, also I have had the facility taken away because I happened to pay the odd amount of a bill and not just the basic payment, a computer does not see it is an over payment and treats it as a broken agreement amount.
                    You could be right.

Well if thats the case then I may as well pay my bills quarterly as there is no financial benefit to me paying by DD.

The whole point is that your costs are spread evenly over 12 months. If they are going to fluctuate up/down (mainly up) every three months then I see no point in paying by DD for the pathetic amount of money it saves me every year for the privilege of overpaying them so they can accrue a positive balance (been there not doing it again!).

Comment

Just had an e mail from Booking.com our credit card was missing start date please send all C/C details again to ensure our hotel is booked. Well we must be going on holiday then, pity I havnt booked anything and I dont have a credit card either.

Comment

Working...
                      X