GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Pensioner needs plumber advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pensioner needs plumber advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pensioner needs plumber advice

I have been given conflicting advice by two plumbers. I have an old and very reliable Potterton Kingfisher 2 gas boiler - positioned outside my house (ie not inside a room). I have had to replace the boiler flue and the plumber installed it in exactly the same position as the old asbestos one.
    It is all working very satisfactorily and I do not want to replace the boiler
    or the position it is in. Second plumber said the new stainless steel flue should have been a twin wall. First plumber says no that is only needed for condensing, combi or some other boilers but not this one - the manual from Potterton calls it an 'open flue' boiler. This has always worked sartisfactorily for over 15 years. Whose advice is correct ?

Re: Pensioner needs plumber advice

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
    I have been given conflicting advice by two plumbers. I have an old and very reliable Potterton Kingfisher 2 gas boiler - positioned outside my house (ie not inside a room). I have had to replace the boiler flue and the plumber installed it in exactly the same position as the old asbestos one.
    It is all working very satisfactorily and I do not want to replace the boiler
    or the position it is in. Second plumber said the new stainless steel flue should have been a twin wall. First plumber says no that is only needed for condensing, combi or some other boilers but not this one - the manual from Potterton calls it an 'open flue' boiler. This has always worked sartisfactorily for over 15 years. Whose advice is correct ?
    The guy that fitted it is hardly likely to actually undersell you so I would be inclined to trust his judgment, after all he has had a chance to charge more for the better dual combi system etc which he never so why would you need to doubt his integrity?

As for knowledge, handyman et al may be best with this, I generally avoid all sorts of DIY and opt for getting someone in who knows best!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

p.s. Hi
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Annie

i too was going to suggest that Handy take a look at your thread - he knows a thing or two

I've also moved your thread into the home/lifetyles sections

Looloo
        x

Comment

I've contacted Handy to come and have a word... he'll post here later no doubt

Comment

Handy here, Hi Annie. I agree with Niddy's assessment about Plumber No1. Plumbers are Notorious for overcharging and scrapping perfectly serviceable items. As to the double skinned flu. Most exposed flues are now double skinned for fire prevention and to prevent burns if you come into contact with them.

I will get the opinion of a Plumber mate (when I can catch him) But I would say if the old one was Asbestos and if there is nothing near which is a burn or Fire Risk then it will be alright. You may find that the surface of the new Flu will get hotter as the steel is a better heat conductor. Does it go through a wall or up through a roof?

For now don't worry and I will try to get a definitive answer for you soonest.
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Single skin flue is fine inside the property, or up a chimney. If the flue goes through the roof, this section will need to be twin walled, otherwise the chances are that you will get flue gas condensation and corrosion.

Comment

Thank you. Any idea how long the possible corrosion could take ? I really cannot afford to have this job re done - it cost enough pounds originally and looks fine - exactly as previous asbestos flue but in s/s. If it will survive for about 5 years I will stick with it as by then I might have to replace the reliable old boiler. Although this boiler is old it would take many years to recoup the cost of replacing when it is still performing very well. Any further advice or comments welcome.

Comment

Advice is that stainless steel flue in single skin should be inspected and replaced if need be after 10 years. The stainless steel itself will not corrode, it will fail on the welded seam, it seems that welding affects the composition of stainless.

Comment

If it stainless steel, it wont rust and certainly last 5 years plus!!!!

Comment

Thank you so much guys for your advice - One last question - are there any gas safe regulations that say I must have this flue in twin walled system as it is not in a chimney ? It is located outside of the house where the boiler is in a little cupboard and goes through the roof of the cupboard into the open air.

Comment

Have a read here ---------> GasFluebookAbey.pdf (880.1 KB)
                        Attached Files
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                          Thank you so much guys for your advice - One last question - are there any gas safe regulations that say I must have this flue in twin walled system as it is not in a chimney ? It is located outside of the house where the boiler is in a little cupboard and goes through the roof of the cupboard into the open air.
                          Why not buy yourself a carbon monoxide detector for your home just to be safe regardless of any gas safety regulations. They only cost about £18 in B & Q.

Even though your boiler is in a cupboard outside of the house it sounds as if it might be close or linked to the property in some way. Better safe than sorry

Comment

Hi Annie, I hope you are not getting too confused with all the information. I'm still trying to get hold of the chap I know but it's proving difficult. I got the installation instructions for you boiler yesterday. No Problems with the old asbestos pipe. But I think it was 2002 they changed the regs regarding steel flues.

Sorry for more questions but how long ago was this work done? and I have I got it right that it stands outside the house in a little weatherproof cupboard? Can anyone put their hands on the pipe?

If it is in your backyard and no one could get burnt from it? Then Nothing to worry about.

It will probably outlast the both of us.

More than likely the regs say it should be twin walled. But like in an article I saw yesterday the plumber said if the flue is outside in your own backyard ignore it. This referred to a flue that came through a wall at waist height. British Gas said it needed a complete new flue. The On line expert said a £7.50 Guard, or ignore it.

Hope this is some help.
                            Regards, Handy
                            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Thank you Handy - you have all been so helpful. You are right about the position of the boiler - outside in a little cupboard and flue itself is well above waist height so unless someone climbs on the cupboard roof they would not touch the flue.

A £7.50 guard sounds good - any idea what it would be called or where I could purchase it ?

This job was just done this summer and the plumber has worked for many years . It all blew up because my regular boiler maintenance guy came and said the new flue
                              should have gone straight up (though the asbestos one didn't and installer said it was better because even with a cap fierce rain could get down a straight pipe on to boiler but with this one that couldn't happen. ) new guy grumbled about the single skin and said it had to be twin walled. I really didn't want the expense or hassle of taking it all down and starting again unless it was unsafe or regulations said I had to !
                              I feel mightily relieved at all the great advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X