GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Taking on the DVLA and HM Treasury ! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking on the DVLA and HM Treasury !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking on the DVLA and HM Treasury !

I received my vehicle tax reminder a couple of weeks ago...£230 for a full year, or £126.50 for 6 months (includes a 10% surcharge)

I am told that because of the cost saving measures introduced by the DVLA I will not be receiving a tax disc (no sweat there).

but.........

The cost saving measures introduced from 1st October 2014 haven't seen a reduction in the 10% surcharge, this only comes in from 1st November 2014 when it drops to 5%.

Now I know it isn't THAT much money, but I'm annoyed, and written to the DVLA to ask why. After a couple of weeks of tooing and flowing they now tell me it's HM Treasury that has decided not to reduce the admin surcharge until 1st November.

So, I'm complaing and refusing to pay the surcharge......though willing to pay the vehicle tax..if they allow me to do that.

The question is though, if they write back to me and so I can not pay the vehicle tax without the surcharge (which I'm disputing) can I legally claim they have refused to allow me to pay ? I know if I don't pay anything I can be fined and prosecuted, deported even maybe....

From 1st November 2014 they are introducing a system whereby you can pay by monthly direct debit, instead of paying 'up front'. Now to me that will cost the DVLA more money due to the fact their cash flow will inevitably be worsened. So included in my arguement is why when the cost saving measures are introduced a month before the direct debit option has the surcharge reduction to 5% not been implemented at the same time, to reflect the cost savings ?

In fact I could (and have) argued that the surcharge from 1st October should be less than 5% because the direct debit option must surely be an additional cost but the DVLA say a 5% surcharge will cover that additional cost.

So, apart from you thinking I've too much time on my hands, or just plain barmy...do you think I have a leg to stand on by offering to pay the basic vehicle tax with out surcharge (that would be £115.00) and expect if they prosecute me I have a leg to stand on ?

Re: Taking on the DVLA and HM Treasury !

Would be interesting to see what happens here. I have just paid £230 to tax my car. Would have taken direct debit option, but not available till November.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      Would be interesting to see what happens here. I have just paid £230 to tax my car. Would have taken direct debit option, but not available till November.
      indeed, but you will not receive a tax disc..There are no surcharges if you pay the full (annual) amount up front..but if you take the direct debit option from 1st November you will pay an extra £11.50 for the privilege ..(5%).

I think they have made a cock up by not introducing everything at the same time...

Comment

reply from DVLA .getting a bit shirty with me now...haha

they forget to mention deportation though !

Thank you for your email of 24 September.

I must inform you that the cost of a six-month vehicle licence is set in law at a rate equal to 55% of the annual rate. Therefore, as this is a legal requirement if you wish to pay 6 months vehicle tax then the you must pay the amount as prescribed in law.

I must further inform you that if you do not comply with the legal obligation to tax your vehicle at the correct rate then you will be subject to enforcement action from the record through reminder letters and penalties through to court prosecution. In addition, you may also be subject to ‘on-road’ enforcement action through wheel-clamping, impounding and disposal.

Regards

Gary Baker
        Policy Advisor
        Vehicle Registration and Licensing Policy| Strategy, Policy and Communications Directorate| D16 | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
        Twitter: @dvlagovuk
        GTN 1213 Ext. 88587
        (01792) 78 8587

Comment

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
          Strategy, Policy and Communications Directorate
          Wow 1984 here we come........
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The car would need to be off of private property before they could "enforce" with begging letters for a start, he forgets to mention that.

I think its quite a just cause and argument to have about the surcharge, but if you asked me whether you could tax your car without paying the surcharge first? the answer would be no.

The argument is with HM Treasury, not the DVLA, you would need to taken action against the Treasury, at your own expense, and IF you won, at that point, the 5% surcharge would be repaid, plus costs I guess.

But you cant do it, the way your suggesting, law doesn't work that way.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just sprung to mind reading this, but shortly you will be able to pay for tax by monthly DD - do you still have to tax for 6/12 months at a time?

Comment

Do you need the car for the month of October if so you could SORN it for a month then tax it from November and take advantage of the pay monthly?

Comment

Great idea actually!

Comment

yes i've considered the SORN,but i would have to do that by 30th sept, as they don't allow retrospective SORN anymore..Under the 'old' method you could SORN a car like on the 25th and the DVLA would automatically date it from the 1st of that month...in that scenario they'd not have time to nail me....i'm prettty sure now they wouldn't catch me if I drove the car...but is it worth the risk ? dare say they would have someone on the hills above me with a telescope for a month seeing as i've probably ruffled a few feathers at the DVLA.....

I'm told i am due an answer from HM Teasury tomorrow, so we'll see what that says (although i can pretty much guess they will not make any concessions).

as far as i know the direct debit option is available for both 6 and 12 months, with a 5% surcharge applied...

Being philosophical about it, i guess i've made my point...it's 'only' an extra £11.50...and while a totally disagree with what they have done here, there's no point cutting off my nose etc...and risking a fine, which would be a lot more £...

At least i will see how they can justify not reducing the surcharge even though they have cut the service...hopefully they will answer that point...then we'll see. mebee..

Comment

The way i see it mate is anyone (which i would assume will be most people) wishing to pay via direct debit is effectively paying for this new system. Usual Government stuff.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i think its about time they offered this but in effect we are paying even more for road fund license for the comfort of direct debit.
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                        The way i see it mate is anyone (which i would assume will be most people) wishing to pay via direct debit is effectively paying for this new system. Usual Government stuff.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i think its about time they offered this but in effect we are paying even more for road fund license for the comfort of direct debit.
                        yes I agree, it's a rip off...do I pay a surcharge with my council tax..no, water rates...no, phone bill...no, gas/electric ...no (in fact i get a discount for doing this) ...so yes, a total rip off by HM treasury

Comment

well, here is the reply from the Tory HQ aka HM Treasury...

they didn;t asnwer any of my specific questions, and slipped this email out as they walked out of the door at 5pm...also sent anonamously ...

Thank you for your email below to the DVLA which as you know has been passed to HMT. We are replying to your enquiry as the team responsible for VED rates and bands. The DVLA has a publicly stated objective of finding £100 million savings in operating costs by 2014-15 and the introduction of direct debit and abolition of the paper tax disc will help contribute towards these administrative savings. The UK budget deficit is still too high and we need to go on taking the difficult decisions needed to secure a responsible recovery and getting the deficit down. The 10% surcharge for the six month VED licence has been in place for several decades and forms part of the overall tax liability with the revenue accruing directly to the Government. Failure to pay the surcharge would result in a motorist driving a vehicle without a valid VED licence and would be subject to DVLA enforcement procedures. Abolishing or reducing the current 10% surcharge would result in a loss in VED revenue which would need to be compensated for by either increasing other taxes or reducing the government’s investment in public services such as schools, hospitals and investment in the road network. As already mentioned motorists will be allowed from next Wednesday to pay their VED by direct debit either annually, six monthly, or monthly. In order to limit the impact to the public finances a 5% surcharge (half the current 10% surcharge) will be levied on six monthly and monthly direct debit payments. As set out in the Tax Information and Impact Note (TIIN) published by HMT on 10 December 2013 a typical Ford Focus driver who currently pays VED six monthly and continues to do so would be £9 better off over the year in the direct debit scheme. The direct debit scheme will allow motorists to spread their VED costs and enjoy the administrative convenience of having their VED renewed automatically each year.The Government believes that healthy public finances are essential for future growth and jobs. The UK is still faced with the serious and unavoidable economic challenge of tackling the debts inherited from the previous Government. Despite this challenge, under this Government:· VED rate increases for cars, vans and motorcycles are limited to inflation only, meaning that these motorists’ VED liability remains unchanged in real terms since 2010;· As a result of the action this Government has taken in relation to fuel duty, in total by 2015-16, a typical motorist will have saved £680, a small business with a van £1,300 and haulier £21,000. In total, the Government is expected to have eased the burden on motorists by £22.5 billion over the Parliament to 2015-16. Average pump prices are currently 16 pence per litre lower than under the previous government’s plans, and will be nearly 20 pence per litre lower by the end of Parliament; and, · In July the Government announced new proposals to reduce the cost of the driving licence. Drivers who apply online for their first driving licence would see the fee drop down from £50 to £34 and drivers who renew their licence after 10 years would see the fee drop from £20 to £14. The proposals are set to save drivers nearly £18 million and the industry around £2 million. Thank you for taking the trouble to make us aware of these concerns.

Kind Regards

ENVIRONMENTAL AND TRANSPORT TAXES TEAM | HM TREASURY | 1 HORSE GUARDS ROAD, LONDON, SW1A 2HQ |

Comment

Working...
                          X