GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with your car?

I know Halfords is a rip off, I never go in there normally but they were gonna cost £35 from a garage so I didn't see the difference in paying £35 or £37 really (yes, I am aware there's a £2 difference!!)
    Made by God...Improved by the Devil
    Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Hey Alland,

My steering wheel has started vibrating...I thought it was maybe driving along a crappy road but it was doing it on a smooth bit too.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it?!
      Last edited by Angelic; 6 March 2011, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelic View Post
        Hey Alland,

My steering wheel has started vibrating...I thought it was mabey driving along a crappy road but it was doing it on a smooth bit too.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it?!
        Does the vibration stop above a certain speed, or does it only start above say 40 mph.

Check the side walls of your tires (both sides) by feeling with the palm of your hands for cuts or eggs (this is a bulge in the side wall). If they are ok and the air pressure in the tire is correct then the vibration is probably caused by wheel balance. (you may have lost one of the little lead weights they attach to the wheel rim). A tire fitting company will check and re-balance them for you. I think my local ATS charge @8.00 per wheel.

Regards, Handy.
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Angelic has Handy has said above, 95% of the time wheel vibrations are caused by unbalanced wheels/tyres.
          Get them checked out and at the same time the tyre place can check for anything else such as worn suspension & steering joints.
          If they do suggest it is something more than simple wheel balancing, DON'T be suckered into paying for something you may not need, get a report first and check back here for advice.

Comment

Thanks guys, it's nice having so many clever cookies under one roof

They tyres were balanced the other day...will get someone to look at the pile of sh*te my pride and joy and report back
            Last edited by Angelic; 6 March 2011, 19:35.

Comment

Another possibility (cant see it mentioned) could be a buckled wheel.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                Another possibility (cant see it mentioned) could be a buckled wheel.
                Bingo!!

I nipped it into a garage quickly this afternoon and the mechanic said to switch it to the back...is that the best thing to do?

Comment

Yes Angelic, at least that will help the elimination process if it is a buckled wheel causing the fault.
                  Note: If the two front tyres were a matched pair when originally fitted, change both fronts to the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                    Yes Angelic, at least that will help the elimination process if it is a buckled wheel causing the fault.
                    Note: If the two front tyres were a matched pair when originally fitted, change both fronts to the rear.
                    They were both changed last year but I've just had 1 out of the 2 changed. Remember my puncture? Well, it turns out that the inside of the tyre had melted(?!) and I needed a new one.

Comment

Trye Melted !!
                      Wow...a bird with "Hot Wheels"...

So are you all sorted now Angelic ? no more vibrator sorry vibration?

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                        Trye Melted !!
                        Wow...a bird with "Hot Wheels"...

So are you all sorted now Angelic ? no more vibrator sorry vibration?
                        Well, all the dried up bits of it fell out and onto the floor...I was quite embaressed actually when he told me it'd melted, I'd only driven 450yds!!

Not got it fixed yet...there's a couple of other things I need to get done too so I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get the money together to book it into a garage

Thanks for this thread!!

Comment

Hi Alland,

O.k so I'm not sure how to describe this but I'll give it a go

There's a wee button next to the door handle in the inside of the drivers door that had a pic of a car on it.

Last night when I cleared the snow, I reversed into my drive and when I was getting out, I pressed it instead of the button to put the window back up (I had to put it down to see out as the snow was really heavy) and it beeped! A wee message came up on the wee screen where the speedo and stuff is saying that the internal scan had been deactivated...em, what does that mean?! What's that button for anyway I've never used it and now it seems to have gotten stuck or something because I can only press it up and not down

I'm such a girl

Comment

Heres ya answer Angelic!

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/foru...al-scan-button

Might not be your car - but same old.
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Oscar!!

I'm glad I can at least fill up the water tank for the scooshers or I'd be really screwed

I couldn't work out how to pop the bonnet when I first got it - I didn't realise I had to flip the Ford badge...all I've been doing since is flipping the bird at Ford

Comment

I was in a petrol station once when a woman ran in asking whose the ford focus was parked at the back of the pumps.

Someone answered "its mine, why whats wrong" to be met with the response "oh nothing, I just dont know how to get the fuel cap off on mine"!

Comment

Working...
                                X