GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Kidney functioning - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kidney functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney functioning

Had some bloods done a week ago, and most of them were fine, although cholesterol not brilliant and low kidney functioning.
    A urine sample has now been send to the lab, should have the results sometime this week.

So just wondered if anyone else has experienced this matter (low kidney functioning), and know what is involved from here please?

Thank you.

I have suffered a few kidney infections in my life and the odd water infection, back in 2010, the result of the kidney function was the same as the most recent one now, although not dropped any lower but still low.
    I assume it's just something they keep a check on, because I am on 2 lots of BP meds as well.

Cheers.

Re: Kidney functioning

Just to add, I do not drink alcohol and have not done so for a very long time now, although did have one little one mixed with lemonade to see in the new year lol.

I eat plenty of fruit and veg, but did have a bad habit of stuffing cakes and chocs in between meals .
    I use to weigh about 8 and a half stone and about a stone heavier than that now, maybe a little more.

First BP reading at home yesterday was 168/100 pulse 99, in the afternoon it improved at 128/78 and pulse 75.
    So yes up and down, despite already being on 2 lots of bp meds.

So nervous for my results this week on the urine result, but still I know whatever has to be done will have to be done.

However, I will point out that the blood results last week were not that of fastings and more will be ordered under the fasting programme, so hopefully a better reading.
    The morning I had my bloods done last week, I sucked on a fisherman's friend and a Hack lozenge (about 30 mins before the test), wonder if that could have an affect on blood results?

Sorry for going on, I am a worrier. lol
    Thanks all xx
    Last edited by di30; 5 June 2012, 13:42.

Comment

Hi Di,

Check out details online about the meds they've given you. Marley had kidney stones a couple of years ago, and they gave him some meds; but then stalled his operation for six months due to high BP. It took that long for someone to realise that the meds were causing his BP problems - changed his meds, and the BP went down enough to allow the operation to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Marley Family View Post
        Hi Di,

Check out details online about the meds they've given you. Marley had kidney stones a couple of years ago, and they gave him some meds; but then stalled his operation for six months due to high BP. It took that long for someone to realise that the meds were causing his BP problems - changed his meds, and the BP went down enough to allow the operation to continue.
        Thank you, yes the bp meds did come to mind.

I take:

Adizem 180MG @ one a day (BP)
        &
        Perindropril Erbumine 2mg @ one a day (BP)

Has a Depo provera injection (contraceptive every 11 to 12 weeks)

AsthmaInhalers such as
        Symbicort Turbohaler 6Micro morning and night
        Brycanyl Turbohaler 0.5mg to take as and when required.

Although I don't think the inhalers will have an affect, but the BP meds is possible.

Rarely I take paracetomol, and if I do its just one and not 2 the required doseage for an adult.

Will see what I can find out, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marley Family View Post
          Hi Di,

Sorry about the problems Marley had, hope all is ok now.

Did Marley have low functioning due to kidney stones, if you don't mind me asking please?
          Thanks again x

Comment

The first morning sample of the day (urine) was a lightish colour, and certainly no near dark coloured, I assumed that meant something good, but maybe its a sign of being hydrated from what I can recall.

Comment

According to the British National Formulary, both your BP meds can cause renal impairment, which would explain why they're keeping an eye on things.

The dose of your second BP one is quite low anyway.
              Last edited by BBoo; 5 June 2012, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                According to the British National Formulary, both your BP meds can cause renal impairment, which would explain why they're keeping an eye on things.

The dose of your second BP one is quite low anyway.

Thank you BBoo, for looking into this for me.

Was relieved with the afternoon reading yesterday, will do another one later, forgot to do it this morning, so much on at the mo, which probably did not help yesterday morning which was why my reading previously shown a higher measurement.

Maybe they will consider changing the bp meds perhaps.
                Cheers for that x

Comment

Di (I'm a Di too). Please don't let your worry spoil the Bank Holiday because it could be something simple which can be fixed easily

I'm currently being treated for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) when I thought my swollen leg was the result of wearing flip-flops when the sun came out a few weeks ago I'm a coward who never goes to the GP or hospital for fear of learning the truth but I've changed my mind. These guys do know what they're doing and are pretty good at fixing people up

We're now playing hide-and-seek with the blood clot which is moving about but apparently that doesn't matter unless it takes the wrong turning. I was back in A & E yesterday and treated by the most handsome doctor on the planet (knocked spots off Garry Barlow) so no wonder my blood pressure reading was all over the place I'm back again tomorrow for a scan and I fully understand all the magical medical options there are to sort me out And there'll be one to sort you out too
                  Last edited by PlanB; 5 June 2012, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    Di (I'm a Di too). Please don't let your worry spoil the Bank Holiday because it could be something simple which can be fixed easily

I'm currently being treated for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) when I thought my swollen leg was the result of wearing flip-flops when the sun came out a few weeks ago I'm a coward who never goes to the GP or hospital for fear of learning the truth but I've changed my mind. These guys do know what they're doing and are pretty good at fixing people up

We're now playing hide-and-seek with the blood clot which is moving about but apparently that doesn't matter unless it takes the wrong turning. I was back in A & E yesterday and treated by the most handsome doctor on the planet (knocked spots off Garry Barlow) so no wonder my blood pressure reading was all over the place I'm back again tomorrow for a scan and I fully understand all the magical medical options there are to sort me out And there'll be one to sort you out too

Aww thank you PlanB (Di) lol.

Blimey your going through it then? bless you too, hope all is ok.

I am a born worrier and I know I must stop, and of course a lot of my high BP is mainly whitecoat syndrome lol, and the main of my home readings are great, just the one off high one yesterday, but lots of silly things been happening over the last few days and yes I worried about them too lol.

Hope all goes well with the scan, fingers crossed and hope you get to see that dishy doctor man again .

I was told to ring either Weds or Thurs of this week, but with it being the first day back (first day of the week for the docs surgery to open), the receptionist will probably say to keep ringing, so I may leave it until the Thursday, so that will be a week and one day since them sending the urine sample to the lab.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow hon, I shall keep you updated too, thank you for your reassuring words. Xx

Comment

I bet I'm a bigger worrier than you I'm a mother like you so it goes with the territory

After the Dishy Doctor gave me the all clear on my chest pains (hence ambulance to A & E) he suggested that they may have been caused by anxiety and tension as a result of spending too long on Google researching the death rate from DVT He said that I was causing myself unhelpful stress

The human body is a remarkable piece of machinery more finely tuned than an Audi TT. The job of the kidneys is to filter out all the toxins in your system, so if you're taking various meds they'll be working on overtime. They can handle it. My friend has only got one kidney and she still beats me at tennis

Comment

I bet I'm a bigger worrier than you I'm a mother like you so it goes with the territory

After the Dishy Doctor gave me the all clear on my chest pains (hence ambulance to A & E) he suggested that they may have been caused by anxiety and tension as a result of spending too long on Google researching the death rate from DVT He said that I was causing myself unhelpful stress

The human body is a remarkable piece of machinery more finely tuned than an Audi TT. The job of the kidneys is to filter out all the toxins in your system, so if you're taking various meds they'll be working on overtime. They can handle it. My friend has only got one kidney and she still beats me at tennis

lmao now that got me laughing, as I assumed I was the world's worst worrier pmsl makes me feel better already.

What a scary experience for you though and glad it was ok. A good point made by your doctor as well.

Wow your friend is remarkable, well done to her..
                        Awww she is clever!

Comment

Just to put your medical worries in perspective: I took my Dalmation to the vet convinced that his pelvis was broken because he kept collapsing in a heap as he turned the corner in the kitchen in hot pursuit of the cat After an expensive X-ray showed no problems with the dog, it was concluded that my new cleaning lady had been over-zealous with the kitchen floor polish and my dally didn't have four wheel drive

You see how overthinking can be a health hazard in itself

Don't worry if you can't get through to your GP surgery on the phone tomorrow because if the test results were bad news they'll definitely call you

Comment

Hi Di

You're awfully young to be having hypertension...how long have you had it and have they given a reason for it, ie an underlying problem or hereditory disposition?
                            As discussed above, lots of processes are inter-related and kidney problems themselves can cause a high BP, whereas the BP meds can cause lots of side effects...are you on a low salt diet?

Techie stuff aside, try not to worry honey, might be simply a case that your meds need changing or adjusting.
                            Let us know how you go on, a big hug and fingers crossed for you!

Shep xx

Comment

Just to put your medical worries in perspective: I took my Dalmation to the vet convinced that his pelvis was broken because he kept collapsing in a heap as he turned the corner in the kitchen in hot pursuit of the cat After an expensive X-ray showed no problems with the dog, it was concluded that my new cleaning lady had been over-zealous with the kitchen floor polish and my dally didn't have four wheel drive

You see how overthinking can be a health hazard in itself

Don't worry if you can't get through to your GP surgery on the phone tomorrow because if the test results were bad news they'll definitely call you

Oh dear me
                              Even our pets can be a worry, I worry about my cat all the time, he is my baby. Sometimes my cat eats too quickly, anyone would swear that was his last meal , then suddenly (I think you know what I will say) well yes what a waste of time eating it.

Yes I'm sure they will be in touch if I'm unable to get through to them, thanks hon. xx

Comment

Working...
                              X