GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Kidney functioning - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kidney functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kidney functioning

Hi folks

I am bringing this back up again, as this time next month I am due for fastings (9pm) the night before.......

As you know my last lot of blood results were not brilliant all round, and this is the one they will determine if further treatment is required or not.

I am currently on 2 lots of Blood pressure tablets, and take inhalers, steroid and a reliever, but nothing else, hopefully it will not go any further.

I do not drink alcohol or smoke, and generally have a good diet, but do have the tendency to pig out with cakes now and again, although not often.

My Cholestorol result was 6. something the last test, and I was told that I had low kidney functioning, cannot recall what the measurement, but it was the same level the time before that too, so no higher and no lower.
    However, the actual urine sample thankfully came back as normal.

I have as many of you know worked in the medical field (NHS) some years ago, I was so healthy then lol.

But would for anyone who knows much about these issues, please can you advise on how to prevent or even improve kidney functioning.
    I do drink plenty of fluids, but I think I could do with maybe drinking more, and I have now turned to drinking plenty of plain cranberry juice.

Approx a week ago, I did have a little infection in the water works, (UTI) and forever back and forth the loo, feeling lots better now, still going to the loo more regular than normal but not as much as I was a week ago.

I am open to any advice/info on the kidney functioning matter, if anyone can offer any please.

A BIG thank you x

Comment

Been doing some researching this afternoon.

I eat most of the foods suggested anyway, but could do with it being more regular.

Water melon, Raspberry, Celery, Parsley, Cucumber, Carrot, Strawberries, Peaches, Beetroot.

Asparagus is VERY good, and help's maintain and assist the kidney function!
      Cleanses the bladder and kidneys.

Love that stuff, yet I do eat it but not regular enough, and I do know that it's not just beneficial for the kidneys, but heart and cholesterol problems too.

Comment

Hi Di,

Have you checked your medication out for kidney function.

I try and stay away from doctors but went for the first time in 20 years in late 2010.

They were very good, not only treating me for the chest infection but they also had a buy one get one free offer. I came out with Testicular cancer, High BP, Type 2 Diabetes and colesterol. 6 months later I was given a free skin cancer. Love doctors.

Late last year one of the tests showed Kidney protein leakage. Of to the Hospital again, but they just monitored it. At my last appointment in July, the leakage had gone down. Strange thing was that I had stopped taking the ramapril and Statin for 6 weeks prior to this. So it can possibly be the meds that cause other issues. Worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
          Hi Di,

Have you checked your medication out for kidney function.

I try and stay away from doctors but went for the first time in 20 years in late 2010.

They were very good, not only treating me for the chest infection but they also had a buy one get one free offer. I came out with Testicular cancer, High BP, Type 2 Diabetes and colesterol. 6 months later I was given a free skin cancer. Love doctors.

Late last year one of the tests showed Kidney protein leakage. Of to the Hospital again, but they just monitored it. At my last appointment in July, the leakage had gone down. Strange thing was that I had stopped taking the ramapril and Statin for 6 weeks prior to this. So it can possibly be the meds that cause other issues. Worth checking.

Hiya

OMG! you poor thing !
          Do you know what! I only went to the docs, well to the sister/nurse for my contraception, and was never on anything, apart from inhalers back years ago.
          It was about 2002, I was worked up and as the docs all over the UK had run low on this certain contraception, I had to book into a local clinic, had my son with special needs with me, and as it was packed out, my son was anxious, i got stressed, the lady taken my BP, and that was the very first time from there it was borderline high!

I was told that although its recorded, for me to still let my GP know and from then on I know for a fact I started to suffer with whitecoat syndrome and worry about the readings.

So before i knew it i was on the one lot of bp meds, which led to 2, and now cholesterol, and the kidney functioning.

Does seem so strange doesn't it?

And as I am due to go shortly for my appointment, I will be telling them what I do think.
          I do think its down to the 2nd meds they put me on to be honest.

I will mention it though and see what they have to say.

I do think some meds can bring on some issues.

So sorry to hear what you have been through. x

Comment

This worries me too, I am on various meds for heart attack in march 2009 two of which are ramapril for hypertension and statins for cholesterol.

I now have Keratinising Squamous Metaplasia I have had 3 cystoscopy's thus far and still nothing is being done and am having to constantly go to the GP to get medication to get rid of the burning sensation and pain when I pee even now I am sitting here with another erge to go to the loo but nothing happens.

I need more scans and investigation otherwise I will end up with a carcinoma.

Why have I not had an MRI of my lower belly surely that has to be checked out as well as kidney function.

On the camera images it shows as a white mass on my bladder wall this beaks off and causes infection and blockage it is not a nice sight and thus if they just only keep doing cystoscopy's it will get worse and carcinoma can set in and thus I will no doubt need a stoma and bag.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pompeyfaith; 14 September 2012, 12:52.

Comment

Oh god you too Pompey you've had a very tough time of it too!

I was going through my beloved dad's prescriptions (as you are aware we lost him 2 years ago at aged 69), and his prescription started just like mine with Asthma, with him he did have COPD, chest complaints due to working in the coal mines, and from the age of 40 up, they were just adding more and more meds......as lots of other illnesses approached him.

Think I may have posted them up before, may not have been this site though, but there were about 6 pages full of them.

I do not think these meds does us that good really, but yet we do know some are essential.

Reading further on the Co Q10 supplement reviews, it appears to be a way of revitilising our health conditions, so let's hope that is the case.

A few days into them know, fingers crossed.

Comment

I have another 6 monthly cystoscopy in November but have a GP appointment for Monday as need more tabs for this infection which is reaccuring too often for my liking so will have a chat with him and try and get another referral to Hospital Urology for further tests.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                  Hiya

OMG! you poor thing !
                  Do you know what! I only went to the docs, well to the sister/nurse for my contraception, and was never on anything, apart from inhalers back years ago.
                  It was about 2002, I was worked up and as the docs all over the UK had run low on this certain contraception, I had to book into a local clinic, had my son with special needs with me, and as it was packed out, my son was anxious, i got stressed, the lady taken my BP, and that was the very first time from there it was borderline high!

I was told that although its recorded, for me to still let my GP know and from then on I know for a fact I started to suffer with whitecoat syndrome and worry about the readings.

So before i knew it i was on the one lot of bp meds, which led to 2, and now cholesterol, and the kidney functioning.

Does seem so strange doesn't it?

And as I am due to go shortly for my appointment, I will be telling them what I do think.
                  I do think its down to the 2nd meds they put me on to be honest.

I will mention it though and see what they have to say.

I do think some meds can bring on some issues.

So sorry to hear what you have been through. x
                  Hi Di,

It is worth mentioning. If you have Kidney issues, the statins are a must. I just cut mine in half. It seems to help with the side effects. If he offers simvastatin, ask for Atorvastatin. Less side effects, but I still cut them in half.

They should be able to controll your BP with Ramapril and a Calcium chanel blocker. Ramapril on its own was not good enough for me. but the channel blockers worked.

When I go to the Doc's he always says my BP is still a bit high. I take it at home now every day and take him a chart in when needed. Average is 120/70, so although it does'nt bother me going to the quacks, white coat syndrome must play a part.

The cancer issues are over now. I was in hospital for a day, 7 days after they diagnosed it. Just a scar in my abdomen. They caught it before it spread. Thats life, just have a slightly higher voice now.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                    This worries me too, I am on various meds for heart attack in march 2009 two of which are ramapril for hypertension and statins for cholesterol.

I now have Keratinising Squamous Metaplasia I have had 3 cystoscopy's thus far and still nothing is being done and am having to constantly go to the GP to get medication to get rid of the burning sensation and pain when I pee even now I am sitting here with another erge to go to the loo but nothing happens.

I need more scans and investigation otherwise I will end up with a carcinoma.

Why have I not had an MRI of my lower belly surely that has to be checked out as well as kidney function.

On the camera images it shows as a white mass on my bladder wall this beaks off and causes infection and blockage it is not a nice sight and thus if they just only keep doing cystoscopy's it will get worse and carcinoma can set in and thus I will no doubt need a stoma and bag.
                    I would insist on a full body scan Pompy. Your doc can arrange an apointment.

I am not sure what the effect of ramapril is. I have started taking it again so soon find out if it has raised the protein levels.

My son in law is a pharmasist and he swears there are no issues with Ramapril, but statins on the other hand...........

They have a book to refer to for side effects that doctors dont see.

You need to be more forcefull with your doc.

Comment

Aww bless you all xxx

. Thats life, just have a slightly higher voice now.
                      You made I laugh vint xxx
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        Oh god you too Pompey you've had a very tough time of it too!

I was going through my beloved dad's prescriptions (as you are aware we lost him 2 years ago at aged 69), and his prescription started just like mine with Asthma, with him he did have COPD, chest complaints due to working in the coal mines, and from the age of 40 up, they were just adding more and more meds......as lots of other illnesses approached him.

Think I may have posted them up before, may not have been this site though, but there were about 6 pages full of them.

I do not think these meds does us that good really, but yet we do know some are essential.

Reading further on the Co Q10 supplement reviews, it appears to be a way of revitilising our health conditions, so let's hope that is the case.

A few days into them know, fingers crossed.
                        Co q10 does mitigate some of the side effects of drugs, especially statins. Not sure if you can get it on prescription.

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                          Aww bless you all xxx

You made I laugh vint xxx
                          Hang around IF, i'll give you a tune.

Comment

Hang around IF, i'll give you a tune.
                            "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Hope you enjoyed my rendition of Oh for the wings of a dove.

Souned like this:

Comment

Hi Di,

It is worth mentioning. If you have Kidney issues, the statins are a must. I just cut mine in half. It seems to help with the side effects. If he offers simvastatin, ask for Atorvastatin. Less side effects, but I still cut them in half.

They should be able to controll your BP with Ramapril and a Calcium chanel blocker. Ramapril on its own was not good enough for me. but the channel blockers worked.

When I go to the Doc's he always says my BP is still a bit high. I take it at home now every day and take him a chart in when needed. Average is 120/70, so although it does'nt bother me going to the quacks, white coat syndrome must play a part.

The cancer issues are over now. I was in hospital for a day, 7 days after they diagnosed it. Just a scar in my abdomen. They caught it before it spread. Thats life, just have a slightly higher voice now.
                                Cheers hun

I know if my results on my cholesterol are too high after my blood fastings thats coming up shortly, they said that is when they will be putting me on statins, will have a word though, thank you.
                                So if this helps for cholesterol I then assume they are a help for the kidney's too then?

the BP meds I have to take is one a day of Adizem 180mg and one a day of Perindoprill 2mg.
                                The Adizem I've been on them for coming up 10 years or so and the other about 2 years.

My readings at home are always lower than those at the docs, and i take my readings in at every apoointment.

120/70 is great. Mine varies from about a little higher than that at home and can be sky high at the docs, and yes I do think white coat plays a big part of it. As soon as I see the door to the surgery my heart races so madly

So glad to hear that the cancer issues's resolved and done with .
                                As there is a family history of cancer, I have had to have genetic tests done and they have mine done as mid to high. Mum and younger sister had breast cancer, my sister was about 31 then, and mum early 60s, diagnosed 3 months within each other, then another 3 months on dad with prostate cancer.
                                Thankfully they all got through it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X