GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Has anyone received a letter about Over or Underpayment..... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone received a letter about Over or Underpayment.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone received a letter about Over or Underpayment.....

With it being blasted round the news I wondered if anyone had received anything.

I fully expect I will get one and no doubt I will owe them money!

I got a letter at the beginning of the year saying that I owed them money from a few years back.....

I called them to dispute this. I am lucky I get a few company "perks" one being a company car and one being private medical insurance (for me and my spouse - so in this case the ex! - Mr Looloo is yet to qualify until he decides to make an honest woman of me!). On these perks you have to pay tax.

Anyway I changed my car one year and also my "then" husband was on my medical insurance - but due to an error SOMEWHERE the correct info was not given to the tax office (although I am very confused by this as I get a P11D each year so have no idea how it happened but it did).

So for a couple of years I was on a K code (minus tax code) and was paying a huge amount in tax. Finally..... i gradually got up to a plus code (stating in single figures) and now I think it is correct as it is.

So I called them and said hold a moment, firstly how can I keep owing you money when I am PAYE? I don't get it? Also what were all the years I was on a K code in aid of if I still owe you money? So the girl I spoke to said OK I will open an investigation, and if you hear nothing more from us they take it that you don't owe us anything.

Well I did hear back – saying I was getting a refund…… it was £900 but minus some underpayments so I got about £450. Well I looked at the cheque, checked with our FD at work… kept looking at the cheque and waiting for them to say – O sorry you now owe us £4,000, nothing, so I cashed it and my tax code stayed the same.

In my opinion it is always worth checking with them if they say you owe them tax as in my case at that time it was obv a complete error on their part!

Re: Has anyone received a letter about Over or Underpayment.

I will have to show my husband this he was THE SAME way we got a letter 4k or so underpayment but we get a p11d too! he gets a compnay car. I have called the office and asked for a meeting at our local tax office for next month

Comment

Jen seriously they did not know their ar$e from their elbow.

When I first got the "K" code I accepted it - and I do think I owed something in the region of £2k maybe? well it must have been alot as I was on the K code for a couple of years.

So when I got this latest demand I was a bit gobsmacked (the problem with me I also did for a very short time selling candles for Party lite so I had declare that income - not that I made anything so for 2 years I had to fill in a tax return then obv as I only did the candle thing for 6 months they realised that I was PAYE so no need to do a tax return.

The trouble with the company car it depends on when you change it and when they find out about it. I know next time I change mine I am going to inform them myself and not wait for the P11D so it will all be up to date. I just find it a joke that when you have PAYE you find yoursef in debt to the tax man. I couldn't get anyone here to take the blame either (the accountant who did our payroll wouldn't nor would the external accountants and yet they must have made the c0ck up!

Also with the company car - you get taxed on what the car is worth new. My company alwasy prefers me to get a car 6 - 12 months old, yet I get taxed on the new value not what the company paid for it.

I used to think that what they said “must be right” now I am not so sure, and it was amazing after I rang up about it I got the refund literally 2 weeks later!

Comment

When I was BR, my PAYE tax code eventually went to NT...as it should.

However, it also ....more or less.....co-incided with the HMRC change of computer program [which has subsequently discovered all the problems the previous set-up was ignoring/creating]..........as a result, the annotation on my file was actually doubled up.....and HMRC...firstly, demanded a shed load of money, then subsequently apologised....seems the new program had created two files for me.. instead of one....!!!!!!

Now I suspect the vast majority of tax payers wont hear a thing....... although some may get two letters.....if the above is anything to go by?

Incidentally....as a grossly overpaid civil servant, I view every pay cheque as a tax rebate......getting back all that tax I paid prior to becoming one of HMG's very uncivil servants....back when I had a proper job!

Comment

Have to say, I am hoping for a big fat cheque, in reality, it will probably be a bill!!
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well... My husband is a sales man for Mercedes you can imagine the cars.. the tax ugh

Comment

O Jen... NICE CAR THO! wow!

Haha Oscar I bet I get a demmand - but at least now I know to ring them up and dispute it!

Alastair - two files! Just goes to show no system is fool proof, but I think a lot of people just take what the HMRC say as the truth and pay and never dispute it.

Well lets see if anyone gets one of these much publicised letters.

Comment

apparently the phishers are at it already....

Comment

My Tax Codes working backwards:

* [size=5]P60 Says that i only earned £459 in a Year ;LOL Even though theTax code below shows correct 647L on P60 Against
                  * 647L 6th April 2010 - 5th April 2011 (Been unemployed since 11th Feb 2010)
                  * 267T Company Car 6th April 2009 to 5th April 2010 (Been unemployed since 11th Feb 2010)
                  * 200T Company Car 6th April 2009 to 5th April 2010
                  * [size=5]P60 Says end of Tax Year K86 M1 for end of 5th Apr 2009
                  * 87T Company Car 6th April 2009 to 5th April 2010
                  * 124L Company Car 6th April 2008 to 5th April 2009 (Change over on Company Car)
                  * 320L Company Car 6th April 2007 to 5th April 2008 (Change over on company Car x2)
                  * 503L Company Car 6th April 2006 to 5th April 2007 (Middle of the Year as my own car broke)

If anyone geared on Tax Codes, or can enlighten....

Fingers crossed that the Boo Boo turns out to be £££££ for Moi for Xmas pressies, Holiday, or Winter Fuel Bill when arrives ;EEK
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ahhhh I got 4 of these lettersthis morning 2 to me 2 to dh... can't get through to the office.

Supposivly I owe 2k ... but they will still pay me then next year ill be owing 3.5k.... wtf?

Comment

any update on this Jen?
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I have had 12.. COUNT them 12 more letters all telling me different things in the space of 5 days!

At the end it says im still getting over paid... and will be continued to be overpaid so next year ill owe 3ishk

I have called the tax centre they say their busy and you cant hold it hangs up

Comment

what a joke eh? Hope you sort it out......
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I find this site UK PAYE Income Tax Calculator 'Listentotaxman' Very good, calculates All costs auto for you as well as back date to 2001 ([size=5]You Don't have to enter your E-mail address)

Comment

Jen sorry just noticed what you said about calling the tax office - I ended up calling them constantly (on readial) until i got through - kept getting that message saying they are busy (click burr) but if you keep calling you do evenutally get through..........

Comment

Working...
                              X