GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclays closing account after requesting they temporarily freeze charges - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclays closing account after requesting they temporarily freeze charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays closing account after requesting they temporarily freeze charges

Hi all,

Can you offer some advice on this situation?

My wife has 2 accounts 1 barclays current (£300 od) and 1 barclaycard (£3,0000. She was made unemployed a few months ago so we wrote to Barclays to say she is unemployed and couldn't meet her repayments at the moment. She asked them to freeze the charges temporarily and offered token payments of £1 for 3 months. They wrote back to say that they accepted.

They have now said that they are terminating her accounts and recalling the debt and that her credit is **** for the next 6 years! So far she's been a really good customer and just needed some time to get a new job before she can pay normally. She just needed a to stop the debt spiralling while she sorted out a new job. Now they're **** her over when she did the right thing and asked for help.

Re: Barclays closing account after requesting they temporarily freeze charges

Standard practice for Barclays regards overdrafts I am afraid that they terminate a current account with an overdraft.

The debt rather than being recalled, passes to recoveries, and if the proposal has aready been accepted - it should be accepted by them In the short term.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

She's just paid it off, but I suppose now that's too late. They also told her that they defaulted her. Need to check her credit file now.

Comment

Originally posted by omissimo View Post
        She's just paid it off, but I suppose now that's too late. They also told her that they defaulted her. Need to check her credit file now.
        How quickly did she pay it of. If shes paid it off within a couple of weeks after telling them, she may be ok credit file wise.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

They can't just "default" her. There are limits and minimums - you need to be more specific - a lot more specific!

when did she stop paying?
          when did she pay it off?
          when did the bank agree to repayments?
          when did the bank say they'd defaulted her?
          did she receive a s.87 & s.88 notice?
          did she receive a termination notice?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            They can't just "default" her. There are limits and minimums - you need to be more specific - a lot more specific!

when did she pay it off?
            Hi NID,

thanks, to answer your questions

She didn't stop paying altogether, she maintained payments on both accounts although she received some charges for late payments. At the time of writing to them she was 1 month behind with Barclaycard. We wrote to both Barclays & Barclaycard approx 2 months ago to say she was unemployed and ask if they would freeze interest/charges and accept token payments of £1 for 3 months to give her chance to get back on top. They immediately wrote back saying they accepted but would close her accounts.

when did she pay it off?
            We paid off all of the Barclays OD yesterday and paid the over due payments on the Barclaycard.

They replied within a week but the latest letter said they expected the payments from Sept.

She called them on the phone yesterday and was told this by the CS guy she spoke to.

No

Yes, within a few weeks of sending the first letter.

Comment

Ok thanks. You won't be defaulted at CRA's.

You should see a couple of AP markers then both the account should show "settled" unless they've allowed spending on the credit card again. If not it'll be closed but repayment meaning you just pay the normal monthly payment as agreed. ie 3% of balance whatever until it's paid off. Then it goes settled.

If they want to add a default at the CRA's you need to be +3 months in arrears usually. If they agreed to a temporary AP however, they cannot default you. Period (if you maintained the new arrangement)
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks NID, much appreciated.

Comment

They have now said that they are terminating her accounts and recalling the debt and that her credit is **** for the next 6 years! So far she's been a really good customer and just needed some time to get a new job before she can pay normally. She just needed a to stop the debt spiralling while she sorted out a new job. Now they're **** her over when she did the right thing and asked for help.
                  This is, unfortunately, the way that almost all creditors behave, and exactly what happened to me also. The whole 'please contact us if you're in trouble and we'll help you' line is complete BS.

The only people they are looking to help is themselves. They want people to alert them to the fact they may be getting in trouble so that they can limit their exposure to risk. As your OH discovered, what they will do is shaft you over even if you will be in a better financial position one the 'blip' is done.
                  "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Working...
                  X