GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Raiding accounts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raiding accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiding accounts

A Colleague of mine is considering the UE route if all else fails regarding a period of hardship. Already, halifax are threatrening to take money from one account to pay another (ie both credit card and bank account are with same organisation). He has already written to ask for them to accept lower payments - but letters have obviously crossed.

I have advised him to have his wages paid elsewhere to prevent this raiding of one account to pay another. I know this is not an illegal practice unfortunately.

I believe this is the best immediate advice to give him.

Are there any other tips/advise?
    []Remember. Everytime a Soldier or Policemen loses thier job, everytime a school can't afford a book, everytime a streetlight has to be turned off - a bankers greed, incompetence and ineptitude played a large part. In Financial Services?, in a Bank? Then think on....you are helping this process along....

Re: Raiding accounts

Hi Blueforyou,
    Yep you advised him well. Tell him to make sure it's a totally unconnected bank.
    If he thinks he may have problems before his wages can be transferred, he could send them a letter of appropriation in advance of payment stating that he needs £xxx for priority expenses..food, council tax etc. This can be done whether the income is from salary of benefits.

Halifax do now include a standard paragraph on their credit card statements informing that they may offset if the account goes into arrears. Not the friendly local bank they used to be are they?

Shep x

Comment

Hi

As there are another 3 weeks until the end of the month, then I would also consider completely emptying the current bank account now before Halifax take it.

Then use money this to open up the new account (ensuring they are not linked to Halifax).

In fact I would be advising them to do this tomorrow. Halifax have sent the warning, they will not send another and just take it.

Best

SnV
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi,
        I have had this trouble with Halifax and it is definately advisable to go and empty the account bar maybe a £1 otherwise they will take it all, they do not care atall.
        I then opened a nationwide account and you should be able to set up even just a token payment which shows willing on your part.
        Good luck

Comment

Thanks to everyone readvice. My friend has successfully emptied his account and transferred wages elsewhere. He is now making an offer to pay back smaller sums per month. If they are stupid enough not to accept that he is trying to manage his debts, then I'll show him the UE route.
          []Remember. Everytime a Soldier or Policemen loses thier job, everytime a school can't afford a book, everytime a streetlight has to be turned off - a bankers greed, incompetence and ineptitude played a large part. In Financial Services?, in a Bank? Then think on....you are helping this process along....

Comment

Is the Halifax credit card the only debt he has?

If he has other debts and he's having problems, then make sure his wages aren't paid into any bank that's connected with any of the debts.

Also, if the lenders accept his offer of lower payments a) they'll only do so for a short period of time and b) it will put a red flag on his account so they'll usually increase the apr and lower the available balance to the amount already owing.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Pixie, I'll watch out for this. Looks like a UE route is coming up.....

Comment

Working...
              X