GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Natwest current account charges - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natwest current account charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natwest current account charges

Hi guys. Need some advice. My mothers natwest account basically she keeps getting charged for not having enough funds. The trouble is they never send her a statement on time to tell her what the account charges are for the overdraft usage until it's too late. So she's always having to guess what it will be. And then because sometimes it's not enough standing orders go out and she's charged for unauthorised overdraft etc. What can we do about this? We have told them repeatedly what happens but it still keeps happening.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Natwest current account charges

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    The trouble is they never send her a statement on time to tell her what the account charges are for the overdraft usage until it's too late. So she's always having to guess what it will be.
    The Banking Code states that the bank has to pre-notify you of any interest and charges in writing 14 days prior to them being applied to the account. I bank with NatWest and I get a slip to advise me of the amount and the exact date it will be applied with my bank statement each month.

If your mother has chosen paperless statements she should still get an online alert.

If they've not informed her 14 days in advance they can't add them to the account until 14 days after they do. Simples.

Comment

I used to keep a list of Payments that went out of the account,then make sure that that amount is always left in the account. that way I knew what money was left so I didn't go over the agreed limit.
      maybee keep a small account book with in's and outs, so if she thinks she has gone over she could pay money in to cover it.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanx for the advice. I get what your saying and when we complain they refund the charge. Trouble is it happens every other month. Getting sick of ringing. Can't see why they can not send a statement on time. Some months she doesn't even get one. You don't think it's on purpose because 2 credit cards are ue do you? Lol

Comment

lol, most probably they want the OD charges and hope you'll just pay up.

Comment

Why not make a strong formal complaint in writing, and throw in your mum's health problems for good measure, say the constant worry is making her more ill and her frequent hospitalisation means she can't always check herself and they are neglecting to send her prior notice etc etc....

Comment

great Idea Elsa,

Comment

Good idea elsa sounds like a plan! Might try and get the 8k overdraft written off at the same time hahaha.

Nightwatch the mim payment on her credit cards is like 10k now rofl.

Comment

If they don't play ball I'd open a parachute account and start afresh.
                  Not so daft as it sounds asking for a write off. Does your Mum own her house?

Comment

She owns her own home yes.

Comment

Shame, as it can help with a write off if there's no assets. Nonetheless I think your mum's health issues would justify a complaint and request for refund of all charges, maybe ask if they'd consider a write off.
                      I'm going away shortly but if you need any help with the letter give me a shout next week.

Comment

Thanx elsa prob wont do it for a week or so as we're so busy with physios and work etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Mother received yet another charge today so we called them up. Guy on the phone tried to excuse it by saying the charges kept coming out the same day as the dd causing it to bounce. Explained to him that it isn't possible since my mother paid the charges and the dd together so there would be plenty in the account. After a bit of uming on his part he agreed to refund all charges. A whopping 96 quid. Idiots.

Comment

Working...
                          X