GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help Needed - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

A few years ago. I was out of work and signed on as well claimed council tax concession. At the time, at that time my accountant had moved some of my pension, 50k from a SIP company to set up a Limited Company which I was intending to use as a travel tour company in Burma, once the political situation improved there. When I was in danger of losing my house, in desperation I took several Director's loans of around 5k from my company. I had fully intended to repay the money, as I worked as an IT contractor needed to be able use a limited company whenever, I went back to work.

In the end, all this failed, I lost my house and I was having to go into bankruptcy but then I got called to be interviewed by the DWP and the local council, stating that I had been claiming even though I had other money available to me. All my attempts to explain that I perceived the money in the Limited Company as part of my pension being invested but it just so happened that I was the MD of the company. They stated that since I was the only director, then it was my money. I pointed out that years of being a contractor had taught me that I could not treat the money as mine.

All the explanations fell on deaf ears and they ruled that I should pay back the money. In their explanation they stated that it was because I had used the lump sum of my pension even though, I had told them repeatedly that it was not my lump sum. In the end, I decided not to argue as I knew that I was going into bankruptcy.

When I went into bankruptcy, the official receiver included this so called debts in the bankruptcy and I thought that this would be the end to it. Six months later I was contacted by the local council who told me that they were also acting on the behalf of the DWP, saying while they accepted that the overpayments were covered in the bankruptcy that there would be an adminstrative charge which would not be included in the bankruptcy. I went along with it, just to draw a line under all my problems.
    The council then contacted me and I have been paying a small amount per month.

In February this year, I got a letter from the DWP demanding that I repaid the overpayments plus the adminstrative penalty. I phoned and explained about the bankruptcy, to which the person I spoke to knew nothing about. I spoke to my official receiver rep, who said they had been sent all the documentation in May last year. But she would send it again. Then everything went quiet, so I presumed that they had settled the matter. But yesterday (11-7-12), I received another letter asking for the money again. When I debated the issue as to why this affair had stop and started, I was eventually put through to a manager who said that contradictory statements. first he said that the reason they did not contact me initiially was because they felt that I would be burdened enough dealing with the bankruptcy, so they were waiting for it to end, as it did in May '12. Then he apologised for the contact in February. But later in the debate he changed his argument and said that the reason it not was pursued at the begining was because at that stage it was not considered to be fraud and that it only became fraud when I had agreed to pay the adminstration penalty, it was an admission of fraud. And that bankruptcy could not include money owed because of fraud. The forms I signed told me that signing them would stop me being taken to face criminal charges. As usual I was being told that unless I agree to a payment plan to pay the full amount, this will be passed on to a private company and there will be additional costs.

I believe that the main points are that in May last year when I was declared bankrupt, the OR sent letters to all my debtors pointing out all the debts being included in the bankruptcy. At this stage, the DWP did not dispute this but 6 months later, they decided charge me an administration fee. My OR questioned this but said that they might have a point. So just to draw a line underneath it all, I agreed to pay the administration fee of £409.38 believing that the overpayment of £1,364.62 was covered by the bankruptcy.
    Last edited by dazzer; 14 July 2012, 09:31.

Re: Help Needed

I posted the above from your email to me....
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok, let me try and see if I can ask questions in bite sizes that will help me. Firstly, I need to understand - Is the person I spoke to at the DWP debt management correct in saying that by me agreeing to pay the adminstration cost, it was an admission of fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by dazzer View Post
        Ok, let me try and see if I can ask questions in bite sizes that will help me. Firstly, I need to understand - Is the person I spoke to at the DWP debt management correct in saying that by me agreeing to pay the adminstration cost, it was an admission of fraud?
        I have read it recently, but cant recall where, (and dont know if its correct - as cant remember site) but by paying the admin fee, you are admitting that fraud took place.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for that Oscar. However, in the forms that I signed when agreeing to the payments, it only said that signing this agreement would stop the DWP taking further actions which could result in criminal charges. What would be the benefit to me, if I am accepting that I have committed fraud?
          Last edited by dazzer; 19 July 2012, 10:23.

Comment

Hi,
            I have just found an official DWP document which quotes this :-
            "4.3.2 It is current DWP policy to offer these penalties where the case is
            deemed to be not so serious and the offer of an administrative penalty
            is considered a suitable alternative to prosecution, and where the gross
            overpayment is under £2,000. Unlike cautions no admission of guilt is
            required from the customer before offering an administrative penalty, "

The last sentence, I believe is the key point. I would be grateful of the views of others

Comment

If that is what the wording says then quote it back at them....

This is what you read, right? ---> http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/sanction-policy.pdf

Administrative penalties
              4.3.1 An administrative penalty is the offer to the customer to agree to pay a
              financial penalty where the customer has caused benefit to be overpaid
              to them, by either an act or omission. The amount of the penalty is
              currently stipulated at 30 per cent of the amount of the gross
              overpayment.

4.3.2 It is current DWP policy to offer these penalties where the case is
              deemed to be not so serious and the offer of an administrative penalty
              is considered a suitable alternative to prosecution, and where the gross
              overpayment is under £2,000. Unlike cautions no admission of guilt is
              required from the customer before offering an administrative penalty,
              Version 4 – April 2010 although there is a statutory requirement for investigators to ensure
              that there are grounds for instituting criminal proceedings for an
              offence relating to the overpayment.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank You Niddy,
                Yes, that is the document that I got the quote from.
                I phoned them today and the lady I spoke to, knew nothing about the section that I quoted but she said that in their training they were told that the signing of the ADPEN was an admission of fraud. She went on to say that she would make a note of what I had said and she will get a Team Leader to phone me back. The point for me is that if it is part of their training then its not just a misunderstanding of an individual.

Comment

Thank You Niddy,
                  Yes, that is the document that I got the quote from.
                  I phoned them today and the lady I spoke to, knew nothing about the section that I quoted but she said that in their training they were told that the signing of the ADPEN was an admission of fraud. She went on to say that she would make a note of what I had said and she will get a Team Leader to phone me back. The point for me is that if it is part of their training then its not just a misunderstanding of an individual.
                  When the TL calls back offer to send that document if necessary but they should be aware of it, I am ex internal fraud at JC+ and knew about it - well the older version that was in force when I was there so anyone from internal fraud should be aware.

Just point out to them that you're reading their "sanction policy version 4" and they'll know what you're on about. However bear in mind the policy changes each year - see this Impact Assessment version

---> http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/fraud-pen...-wr2011-ia.pdf

Interesting resources here ---> Garden Court Chambers - Welfare Benefit Fraud Resources

Comment

I have just received a phone call from the TL. She seems to agree that this needs further investigation. She did state that when they received my details from the DWP (I thought they all the same), it implied that I had already agreed that it was fraud. So yet another version. But she says that it will take a couple of weeks for her to pull all the information together.

Comment

I have just received a phone call from the TL. She seems to agree that this needs further investigation. She did state that when they received my details from the DWP (I thought they all the same), it implied that I had already agreed that it was fraud. So yet another version. But she says that it will take a couple of weeks for her to pull all the information together.
                      That's better, someone that seems to be taking ownership - nice one.

DWP is like the parent of the services so you have JC+ and Processing offices that come under DWP. In the old days, think of it as unemployment benefit (orange jobcentre shop) or DSS/IS (the old school looking dss building) - well these merged to form JC+ which is part of DWP. The old names were ES (employment service) and DSS (Dept for social security).

Weird to explain, but it's all the same 'technically'....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        That's better, someone that seems to be taking ownership - nice one.

DWP is like the parent of the services so you have JC+ and Processing offices that come under DWP. In the old days, think of it as unemployment benefit (orange jobcentre shop) or DSS/IS (the old school looking dss building) - well these merged to form JC+ which is part of DWP. The old names were ES (employment service) and DSS (Dept for social security).

Weird to explain, but it's all the same 'technically'....
                        Niddy, Thank you for explaining, I think I understand better. Also thank you for the compliment. But its knowing that you all have got my back covered that is a real comfort when challengeing the DWP.

Comment

I used to work for them. Left 8 years ago so lots changed but I couldn't stomach the way they were going so left.

Anyway, you'll be fine. Keep on at them. If needed we'll get you in touch with the G7 grade (senior senior manager) who may understand the rules better. Point is, THEIR own rules are misleading so summat's gotta give, right?

You should be fine. Let's see what they say.

Comment

Well, its been some time. They first came back to me after several weeks of collating the information. All she did was to send me a copy of the Adpen that I had signed. I have a copy of that, it does not say anything different to what I have already disputed. I was expecting them to produce evidence that I had signed a document that showed that I accepted the charge of fraud. Also, in previous discussions with them, they insisted that I must have gone to a DWP building and signed in front of a DWP officer. But yet the document they sent me is the document that I signed at the local council office in front of a the local council civil servant and it has the same signature as the Adpen that I signed for the local council.

As a follow up, I have received another letter demanding that I pay up the whole sum again. I am getting fed up of this bullying by people who don't seem to have a brain to realise that they are not making sense.
                            Would I have a case for claiming harassment? Hope you guys can kindly continue with your support for me.

Comment

I may be missing a few things here but something doesnt quite add up.

Firstly you have the issue of taking directors loans from the company up to 5k. This obviously would have required you to repay it, or be taxed on it if not repaid after 1 year.

You are correct in saying that the money held within the company is not yours, regardless of whether you was the only director, the money stays within the company, its not yours unless you take a wage or dividends. So whoever said that the money was yours is wrong.

If the 50k you put in to the company was an investment, then when the company went under, so did the investment.

Personally, as it was a ltd company, the OR should not have included those debts in your personal BR, it should have been included as part of the companies liquidation procedure.

Also lets make this clear, once you are BR, if the OR has contacted all concerend (some times they forget) simply issuing DWP with a copy of your BR Order should have been enough to see them off. If the debt related to prior the date of BR, then you can not possibly owe it now, even if you are discharged.

Any admin charge as a result of becoming BR should also have been included in the BR.

The only time someone can claim you still own them money is if the debt is ongoing after the date of BR, for example, a leasehold agreement that didnt end.

I cant quite see where DWP think they are going with this.
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X