GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Co-op Bank Defaults and PPI Redress - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-op Bank Defaults and PPI Redress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-op Bank Defaults and PPI Redress

Greetings all,

Right I am going to put this here aswell due to not getting a firm answer anywhere else.

Bit of background.

Sept 2007 I had a 7.5k Personal Loan with the Co-operative Bank PLC

July 2008 I was made redundant so made a claim on the PPI this was refused on two counts firstly that they were adamant that I was a contract worker this was untrue as I was full time it was my employer that held contracts with various councils and if he lost one I would be transferred to another.

The second reason was that I had a previous medical condition namely the stroke.

So I started a claim for the mis-sold PPI in Sept 2008 as on that basis I should never of had it added to the 9 loan accounts I have had since March 1999.

Now I carried on making the monthly payment of the current loan for 2 mths until the claim reached deadlock with the bank and had to refer the matter to the FOS.

My point being that as the claim is now with the FOS it is in a lawful dispute and as such I stopped my payments until such time they took my valid dispute as a just dispute worthy of full investigation.

However unbeknown to me co-op customer services and there collections dept do not work in conjunction with each other which is quiet unbelievable to be honest.

Anyway the hugh pile of threat letters from the co-op and various dca's started coming through the door and as much as I told them to refer to customer services and the FOS they kept coming even 6 mths after this was settled they where still coming through my door it is only just recently though another letter to the bank demanding that they get the dca's of my back and supply me with a letter stating that I owe them nothing that the threats have now stopped.

I held firm and was not going to pay them a penny more as they where already holding just under 9k of my money which was more than enough to clear my current loan.

This claim has now been redressed in January 2011 to both mine and the banks satisfaction however I still have a heap of defaults registered with the cra's.

What is everyone view on this would you say they where unfair and should be removed?

The loan has been paid in full no part settlement as I signed the agreement and honoured it in full as I was never a will not pay, but a cant pay on the grounds above and once they played ball and settled my valid claim there was no hesitation in settling the loan early.

Regards.
    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 13 June 2011, 00:30.

Re: Co-op Bank Defaults and PPI Redress

I would suggest you go to the ICO with this and use the FOS judgment, if the ICO fail to remove the DN's then you can go back to the FOS; the point is had the dispute never taken place, what would your position be? if you would have been up-to-date then the FOS (and ICO) should rule in your favour.

If however you had already defaulted prior to complaining then the defaults would remain. But usually the FOS base their assessments around the key fact of "you should not be any worse off, as if the complaint never occurred" basically meaning that if you were up to date with the accounts, noticed an error, complained, went to the FOS, won your complaint, then the accounts should all be reverted back to the point prior to the complaint originating....

make sense?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy yes that makes sense, no I have never defaulted prior to the complaint as I had an overdraft facility and if my wages went in late say they would still take the payment as the loan and current account where with the same bank.

I will do as you suggest.

Thank you.

Comment

PF, I have every sympathy with your situation.
        The ICO are usually as useful as tits on a bull but, when you have a FOS adjudication , they will sit up and take notice.

Comment

DS,

Thanks for that and nice to see you here.

I will get a letter of to the ICO then as its got to be worth a go for the price of a stamp and yes my claim was upheld by the FOS.

Ill update you all here.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
            PF, I have every sympathy with your situation.
            The ICO are usually as useful as tits on a bull but, when you have a FOS adjudication , they will sit up and take notice.
            Well they kinda have to don't they, being the FOS can overrule the ICO anyway!
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy,

Well they kinda have to don't they, being the FOS can overrule the ICO anyway!
              Thanks I did not know that, a complaint to the ICO maybe in order then.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                Niddy,

Thanks I did not know that, a complaint to the ICO maybe in order then.

Regards
                Didn't I suggest that at the start mate? ( #2 )

The FOS ruled in your favour, they should have instructed removal of any derogatory data as the account should be reverted back to the point of complaint meaning anything bad in the complaint period should be removed.

As they never you're kinda asking the ICO to tell them to remove it.... if they refuse to get involved you can then complain to the FOS about it (madness really)!

Comment

Niddy,

Indeed you did spot on, just I was reply to DS and it drew to the same reply as you.

So I will prepare that letter this evening and get it in the post tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    !
                    FFS, not Cheadle again

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                      FFS, not Cheadle again
                      * whispers * cheadle?

Comment

Working...
                      X