GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Duplicate entries for same debt - Creditor/ DCA won't remove - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duplicate entries for same debt - Creditor/ DCA won't remove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate entries for same debt - Creditor/ DCA won't remove

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me regarding an old account of mine that feel into debt.

It was a Yorkshire Bank Account that I opened Nov-08 and late 2010 after failing to make some Direct Debits this led to lots of charges and fees and a £383 debt. I tried to reclaim back the charges and get them waived but was unsuccessful.
    The account defaulted and was passed to debt collection agencies. I remember receiving correspondence from Cabot Financial and this was the last I heard of it when I moved house in 2011.

I have checked my three credit files and on each there are two defaults for this account, the comments are as following;

1/ Cabot Financial - Defaulted Jan 2011
    2/ Yorkshire Bank - Defaulted May 2011, Satisfied May 2011 –
    Experian file also stated (Assigned to CAIS member 07/11), this note is not on Equifax or Call Credit

I have tried contacting both Yorkshire Bank first and then Cabot Financial trying to get one of these defaults removed as they are both for exactly the same debt however both have refused. I have also contacted each of the CRA's and only had success with Call Credit who removed the Yorkshire Bank default. Experian & Equifax said they couldn't do anything without creditor's permission and I should contact them direct which I already have!

Can these companies do this as it seems very unfair to have two defaults for the same debt. When future potential lenders look at my Credit File will they see both separate defaults, I am right in thinking this will make my chances of getting future credit even worse?

Does anyone know if I can take any action to get one of them removed? Ideally the Yorkshire bank default as they have marked this as defaulted in May 2011 which is later than the Jan 2011 by Cabot.. I will have to wait longer for it to drop off CRA files!!

Any help much appreciated,

Kind Regards

Matt

Re: Duplicate entries for same debt - Creditor/ DCA won't remove

Equifax - If there is nothing to indicate to a lender that the default is a duplicate due to the debt being sold on then there should not be two defaults. Complain to Equifax and Yorkshire bank telling them that you will take them to the FOS and ICO if the original is not removed.

Experian - The duplication is OK as long as there is that 'assigned to CAIS member' flag. That means you can see the original, but lenders checking your report to assess you won't.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
      Equifax - If there is nothing to indicate to a lender that the default is a duplicate due to the debt being sold on then there should not be two defaults. Complain to Equifax and Yorkshire bank telling them that you will take them to the FOS and ICO if the original is not removed.

Experian - The duplication is OK as long as there is that 'assigned to CAIS member' flag. That means you can see the original, but lenders checking your report to assess you won't.
      Thanks Riz,

Yes Experian have an "assigned to CAIS member". There is no flag with Equifax. I will contact them and Yorkshire Bank again and threaten them with the FOS and ICO.

Out of interest I have a Payday Express default for £365 where they have stated "assigned to CAIS member" on my Experian File but no furtherd default from a DCA. When lenders check my file will they disregard the Payday Express default because of the assignment flag even though there is no further default entry from a DCA?

Regards

Matt

Comment

No. They will see the default for the pay day loan, they just wont see its been assigned.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
        X