GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script £63 British gas Delinquent account following me for nearly 10 years! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

£63 British gas Delinquent account following me for nearly 10 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £63 British gas Delinquent account following me for nearly 10 years!

Hi guys. I really hope someone on here has some advice as im not sure what to do.

When I was a student I shared a flat with a couple of friends and we had our gas supplied from British gas. This was from 17/02/2007 to 01/07/2008 when I moved house and closed the account.

I moved a few times since then and was a customer with British gas for gas and electric in a couple of other places I rented.

Then in May 2012 I signed up to Experian and noticed I had 6 missed payments from British gas? I phoned them up and it turned out it was from the account from 2007-2008 for £63, being such a small amount I immediately paid it and assumed that the delinquent account would be removed after 6 years of closing the account.

However it seems that British gas hadn't register a default notice on the account and had simply been registering a '6 months unpaid status' every month. So the delinquent account will now only clear 6 years from the date I found out I owed them any money and paid them in full which will be in May 2018! Almost 10 years after the account was closed - all for £63!

If they had at any point informed me of the outstanding amount then I would have paid it, they knew where I was! (Remember I was a customer of theirs at multiple other properties so I didn’t just move away and disappear!).

So what I'm asking is where do I stand? I know that a gas account isn't covered by the CCA, and they didn’t Default me anyway so I can't pull them up for failure to provide a Notice of Default.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated as I feel a 10 year black mark on my credit file far outweighs the crime of not paying them the £63 I didn’t know I owed them.

Thanks again!

Re: £63 British gas Delinquent account following me for nearly 10 years!

Hi Superchris and welcome to AAD
    Our Admin Never-in-Doubt is the man for this, no doubt he'll take a look as soon as he can

Comment

I'd be complaining to the CEO by raising a dispute against BG direct - they're a nightmare by the way - see this letter which eventually sorted the complaint for the guy: --> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post360878

If you need specific help then I will help but it'll need to wait a few days as I am snowed under right now.

Read the following similar threads that show how difficult BG are to deal with - hence email the CEO for best results

--> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...itish-gas-help

--> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...erate-for-help

--> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...sh-Gas-Default

In essence search AAD for Chris Weston or British Gas and you'll see a few results......
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just to provide an update,

I called BG again to get some details (exact end dates, dates of meter readings etc) regarding the account in order to write directly to the CEO with a complete picture.

According to them the account is too old now and much of the detail has been archived.

However the guy I spoke to was actually quite helpful this time and seemed to genuinely understand my issue so looked into it a bit more and called back a couple of hours later.

It seems that the info they have is i called to close the account on 01/07/2008, then the next day I called back to pay the bill - I paid them £169.19.

But they are saying the bill generated was for £232.20- now this seems very confusing to me as I cant see why I would pay them such an exact random amount and not the whole lot. Even if it was the exact amount in my bank account at the time I wouldn't clear it out down to the last penny? also for the sake of £63.01 I would have just borrowed it from someone...

Anyway I have now been passed to the complaints team who agreed it all seems a bit odd and are investigating further. They have said that if they can find any discrepancy on their part then they will remove the late payment info.

I will update again when I hear from them.

Comment

Just got a call from the customer complaints guy and it sounds like good news.

He said that it there does appear to have been an error in the system and has had to escalate it further due to most of the details being archived.

But, he seems pretty convinced that it should get sorted - and even get my £63.01 back!

I will update once I have final confirmation.

Just goes to show what can happen when you eventually speak to someone competent that actually cares about their job and the customers they are supposed to be there to help. I wonder how many issues posted on this site are simply down to incompetence and lack of compassion from customer service staff!

Comment

That seems like it's good news.

It really annoys me when I have to spend ages sorting things out because of someone's incompetence (take note Scottish Power!)
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorted!

Just got a got a call from BG and the cheque is on its way. I have also checked with the CRAs and the account has been removed!

And to think i was getting ready for a long drawn out fight with them and all it needed was to speak to someone that actually gives a s**t!

All I've got to do now is deal with Three mobile about a dodgy account they defaulted me on and I'm clear! although I'm sceptical about finding anyone competent working for them :-s

Comment

well done - result!
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Well done from me too Chris
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Really good news! Happy days.

TibetanMonk
                    On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchris View Post
                      Sorted!

Just got a got a call from BG and the cheque is on its way. I have also checked with the CRAs and the account has been removed!

And to think i was getting ready for a long drawn out fight with them and all it needed was to speak to someone that actually gives a s**t!
                      Well done

Originally posted by Superchris View Post
                      All I've got to do now is deal with Three mobile about a dodgy account they defaulted me on and I'm clear! although I'm sceptical about finding anyone competent working for them :-s
                      I know what you mean about Three mobile...they're dreadful. I lost count of the number of times I phoned their "Customer Services"...thank goodness I was on a 30 day rolling contract and could change providers!
                      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                        Well done

I know what you mean about Three mobile...they're dreadful. I lost count of the number of times I phoned their "Customer Services"...thank goodness I was on a 30 day rolling contract and could change providers!
                        I've got a default with them for £53 because of a 30 day contract, I asked them to cancel it, they agreed but never did. I have no proof that I did either. :/ I would pay it, but now it's the principle. Luckily my credit file is that bad that a default for £53 doesn't really make much of an impact.

TibetanMonk
                        On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

well done Chris xx

Comment

Working...
                          X