GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Buchanan Clark & Wells - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buchanan Clark & Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buchanan Clark & Wells

Hiya,

Pease forgive me if this is in the wrong place am new to the site i found you guys whilst googling the above company.

Basically i have receieved a letter from the above today, titled a verification letter and asking if i am the same person who lived at a different address previously. The address they've given is my mums who i havent lived with since i was 17/18 (i'm 29 now).

When younger i was bad with money but nowdays my credit is fine. I had a couple of loans when younger which as far as i was aware are done and dusted so not sure who these people are chasing for. This is the first letter i've seen of its kind in all these years so i'm a little stumped to say the least.

My question is should i respond or just ignore it?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

J

Re: Buchanan Clark & Wells

You must ignore it, they are fishing and chances are it'll be Statute Barred now anyway.

Just ignore it - it's fine (return it as unknown at this address).
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Crikey you're fast

thank very much fr the reply now i'm gonna go and google what statute barred means lol

Jade x

Comment

Ignore. As said, they are just fishing.

Either statute barred anyway, assuming no CCJ was ever obtained, or just not yours.

If or when they actually write giving details of what it is, then you might consider responding. But until you know what they are after, you just ignore.

BCW will either bog off and annoy someone else, or they will write another letter detailing the debt.

If the latter, then post back with what it is about. We can then decide whether to keep ignoring or respond telling them to naff off.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by older_and_wiser View Post
          Crikey you're fast

thank very much fr the reply now i'm gonna go and google what statute barred means lol

Jade x
          Don't Google, as there is some absolute bollux posted online about statute barred debts.

A reasonably good starting point is this.

National Debtline England Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 25 Liability For Debts And The Limitation Act

If you are not sure, ask.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Crikey you're fast

Jade x
            What is statute barred debt?

Statute barred debt is debt which in certain circumstances becomes unenforceable in court. The piece of legislation which sets out these circumstances is the Limitations Act 1980. So when a creditor comes chasing you for an old debt you can use the following information to access whether or not your debt is time barred.
            How long can a creditor chase a debt?

This is dependent on the type of debt you have. The most common form of debt which people ask about in our forum is unsecured debts eg credit cards, personal loans, store cards, catalogues, bank loans, finance company loans etc. The Limitations Act 1980 states that when the following conditions are met then the debt cannot be pursue through the courts.

The conditions are:-
            • That the creditor has not taken court action against you, eg CCJ, AND
            • You have not made any payments on the debt over the last 6 years,AND
            • During the years, you haven't written to the creditor acknowledging that owe them money.
            As you can see all three conditions must be met in order for the debt to be "time barred". So the answer to the above question is 6 years.5 in Scotland.

Comment

You need to ignore this, seriously just pop it back in envelope and send back as unknown
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hiya,

Pease forgive me if this is in the wrong place am new to the site i found you guys whilst googling the above company.

Basically i have receieved a letter from the above today, titled a verification letter and asking if i am the same person who lived at a different address previously. The address they've given is my mums who i havent lived with since i was 17/18 (i'm 29 now).

When younger i was bad with money but nowdays my credit is fine. I had a couple of loans when younger which as far as i was aware are done and dusted so not sure who these people are chasing for. This is the first letter i've seen of its kind in all these years so i'm a little stumped to say the least.

My question is should i respond or just ignore it?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

J
                I had a letter from this outfit once, they were acting for HSBC Bank in reference to my debt with GM Card.

As niddy points out, it looks like they are fishing, so best to send it back as "unknown"

Comment

Working...
                X