GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Service Charge Arrears on Leasehold Flat (Almost Mortgage-related :-) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Charge Arrears on Leasehold Flat (Almost Mortgage-related :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Charge Arrears on Leasehold Flat (Almost Mortgage-related :-)

Hi All,

Firstly, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post this thread - so apologies if it requires moving.

I'm looking for some advice on behalf of my neighbour. Like me, she owns (has a mortgage) on her flat and all the flats are leasehold and on a relatively new development. Under the terms of the leases, we all pay 'service charges' for the upkeep and maintenance of the development and these are billed twice a year (March and September). They roughly work out at about £1200(ish) per year, so March's bill was £615 - give or take a few pence.

The development is managed and service charges collected by a managing agent - in our case Consort Property Management.

My neighbours problem is this:
    She received the bill from Consort for her service charges in the middle of February - with a payment due date of 1st March. At the time (and until recently) she was looking after her poorly mother and paying the bill slipped her mind. 21st of March she receives a reminder letter from Consort with the following:

Please pay the amount due within 14 days. if this payment is not received an administration fee of £50 plus VAT may be added to your account. this fee covers the extra expense that we have incurred reviewing, managing and collecting the overdue sum. Interest may also be charged to your account if the demand is not paid within 14 days of falling due, in accordance with the terms of your lease.

In short - she didn't respond to the reminder and on the 6th May she received a letter from a company called Property Debt Collection Ltd (PDC). This letter says:

"We have been instructed to act on behalf of the above Managing Agent (Consort) in connection with the collection of the arrears of Service Charges. Despite formal request from your Managing Agent, your Service Charge remains in arrears. Your Managing Agent arranges to carry out estate management tasks at the residential development for the benefit of all residents and receives the costs of those tasks from all residents through the service charge. Unless the sum of £830.95 which includes our costs of £150 including VAT, is paid within seven days of the date of this letter, we shall have no alternative but to advise your mortgage lender of the arrears. Under the terms of your lease, this sum is due in full, if you have any doubts regarding this you should consult your solicitor immediately. As this account has now been passed to Property Debt Collection Ltd, all communications must be with Property Debt Collection Ltd and not Consort Property Management.

As soon as she received this letter she thought "stuff you, I'm not paying your exorbitant fees" and contacted Consort to try to make payment of the Service Charge. Consort will now not talk to her or accept payment because the account is with PDC. Every time she talks to PDC, they say they will only take full payment or will take their fees first out of any part payment and an outstanding balance will show on her Service Charge.....

Now we've compared leases - and hers is identical to mine. The part that refers to payment of service charges reads as follows:

Covenants by the Lessee (Covenants enforceable by the Lessor and the Management Company).
    1. To pay the Lessor or its authorised agent the Lessee's proportion of the maintenance expenses hereinbefore reserved on the days and in the manner herein provided.
    2. To pay the Lessor or its authorised agent the Lessee's proportion at the times and in the manner herein provided.
    3. To pay interest at the rate of 4 per cuntum above Nat West Bank plc Base Rate, from time to time on all sums payable by way of rent or service charge which shall be in arrears from the date due until the date of actual payment.

Apologies for the long and convoluted post.... - but my question is this: surely in the event of non payment, the Managing Agent should defer to the freeholder for them to then make a decision about what to do about the fact that she is in breach of the lease. There's nothing in the lease itself that allows the Managing Agent to pass it to a debt collector - so are they acting outside of their authority in doing so?

I await the tsunami of knowledge

Lakeside1

Re: Service Charge Arrears on Leasehold Flat (Almost Mortgage-related :-)

I haven't done the interest rate calculations, though I suspect there's a calculator here for you to be able to check this (and I would as it could be your lifeline! Ensure the Nat West interest rate is correct as well).

Sadly, and this won't be what you want to hear, I think they are perfectly entitled to pass on the debt for collection as your friend had a remind, then left it a further two months without paying. The DPA allows them to process their data in a reasonable way, and this would be considered reasonable.

However, if the interest calculation is wrong, and it would take someone with better maths skillls than me to check this, then your friend may well have redress through the courts for getting the charges written off.

Comment

Re: Service Charge Arrears on Leasehold Flat (Almost Mortgage-related :-)

Originally posted by Lakeside1 View Post
      Hi All,

Firstly, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post this thread - so apologies if it requires moving.

I'm looking for some advice on behalf of my neighbour.

Apologies for the long and convoluted post.... - but my question is this: surely in the event of non payment, the Managing Agent should defer to the freeholder for them to then make a decision about what to do about the fact that she is in breach of the lease. There's nothing in the lease itself that allows the Managing Agent to pass it to a debt collector - so are they acting outside of their authority in doing so?

I await the tsunami of knowledge

Lakeside1
      Hello, tell your neighbour to go to www.lease-advice.org for all you ever need to know about your rights as a lessee. Why doesn't she just send a cheque to the Managing Agent for the amount owed (less the extra "admin" charges obviously) and see if it gets banked. They can't really return it to her because that would make them look silly. Or better still she should pay online directly into the managing agents' bank account if she's got the sort code and account number (it's usually on the bottom of the Service Charge Demand).

However are you both happy with the way the service charges have been spent? It's your money after all. Have you seen detailed accounts (they must send these to you on request)? In my experience Managing Agents spend money like water. Things like £55 to put oil in a sticking front door lock. If there is anything amiss then you can refer it to the Leashold Valuation Tribunal www.rpts.gov.uk for a Decision. You pay a nominal fee of a few quid, and then wait 6 months for the outcome. It can be done by a 'paper hearing' so you don't have to go in person.The LVT has the right to decide if charges (including outsourcing to DCAs) are "reasonable", and the Decision is legally binding on the Freeholder (or their agent). Most District Judges will make an order for any disputed service charge proceedings to be referred there anyway. Just check all the small print in your lease for a clause which says if the Freeholder can charge you for any 'professional' expenses - although most of us here would argue that DCAs are not exactly professional!

Finally the Managing Agent should be a member of the property ombudsman scheme www.tpos.co.uk (you can check membership on the website) in which case you can make a complaint to them and they can investigate it just like the FOS (only much much quicker!) and it's FREE to use. If nothing else this will stall for time if she's got difficulty paying for cash-flow reasons.

Hope some of this ramble helps you both.

Comment

Working...
      X