GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Equifax Report Help - does outstanding credit card debt affect your credit worthiness? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equifax Report Help - does outstanding credit card debt affect your credit worthiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equifax Report Help - does outstanding credit card debt affect your credit worthiness?

Hi. I got my Equifax report in November and it bothers me that there's a red label under the £ sign. It effectively says I have bad repayment history?

As a test, I applied for a small low cost hire purchase agreement from a provider I've used before and was refused (approx £600). This is odd as I last used them successfully in 2010 and 2011 (they are Pay4Later).

The only thing I can see on my report is that I took out a Tesco credit card in 2012 in order to replace my car - I was under the impression that this was better than a HP loan? That's the only thing I can see different between then and now so to speak. However, these are the balances on all my cards:

Tesco: £4000
    Santander: £3000
    Barclaycard: £4500
    Barclays Current Account: £2200 in credit

The limits on those cards are higher, I am paying down this debt and should be done by April '14. None of it is subject to collections, the last recorded missed payment was for Santander in 2008 which was while I was between jobs, but hadn't affected my Pay4Later applications in 2010 or 2011.

The main reason I want to get this sorted is I'm aiming to remortgage in June and don't want any flies in the ointment; the Pay4Later applications are purely a test out for me. Is it simply as I have too many credit cards?

Re: Equifax Report Help - does outstanding credit card debt affect your credit worthiness?

£11k debt isn't a lot but it depends on your income (to debt ratio).... So for example, if you're on about £30,000 as a gross income then £11k would currently be classed as too much (assuming you also have a mortgage)....

I'd try and clear some of your debt, but also remember there are three CRA's so it might be worth getting Your Experian report as then you'll know pretty much what is showing on the main two - are you on the Electoral Register?

From what you've said your report should be clear....... The only downside is the high value cards that I can see. Regards pay4later, what was the reason for decline, ie credit agency data?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: Equifax Report Help - does outstanding credit card debt affect your credit worthiness?

My salary is £32,000 so I guess that would make sense. What sort of ratio would be classed as normal?

Yep, definitely on the electoral register.

They didn't give a reason, just referred me to Equifax.

Comment

Ok well look at your Experian file.... If everything is fine on Equifax & Experian that could suggest over-indebtedness (Debt to Income Ratio / DTI) which lenders are trying to combat so you can't really blame them I guess......
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Whilst I do not promote or recommend this site, I would have a play on their DTI calculator - see for yourself....

--> http://www.consolidatedcredit.co.uk/...io-calculator/

Read the notes underneath the calculator as well..... It might help explain things and what I meant when I referred to debt to income ratio (DTI).

Comment

Hiya

That's cool. I was more or less thinking that way anyway that it's just too much on credit cards. If that's all it is then I'm happy with that, they'll be all done soon anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X