GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script To add a 200 word note to my credit history or not? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To add a 200 word note to my credit history or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To add a 200 word note to my credit history or not?

Hi guys,

Before the messy break up with my ex fiancee I had a perfect credit file and never had any problems being accepted for anything.

However things turned nasty financially and although none of the defaults or missed payment accounts were in her name, it still leaves me with a very poor credit history while she got off scot free

Now that I'm back in the UK after more than a year away, I am ready to try and sort out the mess and get myself back on track.

There is one outstanding debt for around £4000 (amongst others) which I refuse to pay though as this was nothing to do with me (not that they will care) but what I had the idea of doing was writing to the credit reference agencies with the 200 word note they allow and explaining that I am keen to get back on track and sort things out and that this credit was not run up by me.

I would somehow put into a short paragraph about the problems I had with my ex and maybe, just maybe it will be a start.

What do you think, good idea or not?

I would really appreciate any advice or better idea.

Thanks a lot!

Re: To add a 200 word note to my credit history or not?

Personally i wouldnt.

When you add notes to your file, it causes any credit checks to come back with a "take a closer look" response when had you left it alone, you may have been given the green light for credit.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi SX guy,

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't know that is what might happen if I add a note such as this, so maybe it's best to leave it. Unless anybody else thinks otherwise?

Cheers!

Comment

By all means take the advice from someone more clued up than me. However this was what i was told some time ago. It can affect acceptance of credit by adding a note.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yea it's not wise to add text to your CRA as it pushes lenders to manually review each application you make but they won't pay attention to the note anyway. It's a total waste of time.

Their attitude is - reasons/excuses doesn't alter risk. Is it yours? Yes. Are you in arrears? Yes. Hence the risk would remain.

Point is if you wanted credit and get declined you'd be best manually appealing if and when they write to you with the decline. It's more personalised and allows an underwriter to properly assess things.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi guys,

Good advice which I will listen to. I just wish I could tell someone it wasn't me who created the mess

That is a good idea about writing to appeal, Never-In-Doubt. I will most likely do that in the near future, that way it will be a direct letter to the company I want credit from rather than noting on my credit file for all to see.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Good call Matt.
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by mattk1 View Post
                Hi guys,

Good advice which I will listen to. I just wish I could tell someone it wasn't me who created the mess

That is a good idea about writing to appeal, Never-In-Doubt. I will most likely do that in the near future, that way it will be a direct letter to the company I want credit from rather than noting on my credit file for all to see.

Thanks a lot!
                Have a look at my thread here --> Been Declined - Appeal Letter Template - allaboutFORUMS

Works a treat. However don't forget as it was in your name then it is your fault in the eyes of a lender. Put simply they don't understand that couples share finances and a partner could easily max out a card that they're just additional to; hence the lender stipulates as its your account you're ultimately responsible for all spending and repayments. Who spent what matters little.

An underwriter will likely also take that approach. It's an easy excuse that they hear hundreds of times a week I expect.

Good luck.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X