GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Catalogue returns problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalogue returns problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalogue returns problem

Hi
    I hope someone can give me some advice on how to help my Dad with this.

My step-mum ordered some shoes from a catalogue but when they came they didn't fit. She returned them and ordered a different style. My step-mum then died suddenly and my dad returned the shoes.
    A statement then arrived with the cost of the shoes. My Dad phoned the catalogue company saying that my step-mum had died and that the shoes had been returned. The catalogue customer service person's reply was "well, we haven't received them!" My Dad said that he had the returns receipt so they wanted him to send them that. Oviously he didn't want to send the original so he wrote down the details and sent them off (I don't know why he didn't ask me to photocopy it.)

He's just been to visit my sister in Spain and when he got back he had a letter from a debt collecting agency, saying that, despite repeated requests from their client, he still hasn't paid the amount owing.

How should he proceed?
    He is perfectly able to pay the amount (£34!) but understandably doesn't see why he should.
    Do we photocopy the returns receipt and send it to the dca or the catalogue company?
    Do I complain on his behalf to the catalogue comany as I feel that they have been totally unreasonable? (the letter from the dca was dated only 9 weeks after my step-mum died!)

Thank you
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Catalogue returns problem

I would send a copy of the receipt to the DCA as they are dealing with it... and send it recorded delivery...

Comment

Thanks Jen

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Try responding with this, editing the parts in bold (just remove the bold formatting when you copy it)...

Best of luck, should sort things for you with a wee bit of compo for the inconvenience caused!

Send to DCA with a copy of receipt
        • Dear Sirs,

Ref: Fraudulent Activity & Pressure Scam Tactics

I write with reference to your letter dated XX/XX/2010 in respect of some shoes, ordered and returned to {enter catalogue name here}.

My late wife ordered some shoes from {enter catalogue name here} but when they came they didn't fit. She returned them and ordered a different style, unfortunately she then passed away rather suddenly. As a result, I returned the shoes in question on {enter date of post office receipt} - proof of the receipt is attached, which was handed to me when I returned the shoes.

So, you must be able to appreciate my horror and downright disgust to find, upon my return from a prolonged trip abroad, a letter from you demanding full repayment - how dare you! This is a traumatising time enough without the need to bring it all up again by writing to you. I have returned the shoes in question, and also provided proof now I suggest you update your records and close this account.

For the inconvenience and stress caused at such a sad time, for me and my family, I expect a generous offer of compensation to be forthcoming prior to my seeking legal advice against you for your rash attitude and incorrect harassment of innocent people. I expect a response to my letter with an accompanying cheque, payable to me, no later than 14 days from the date of this letter. Failure to comply will result in a counterclaim being submitted against you for your evident breaches and lack of fact-finding prior to taking on a case - for the record, my late wife already shows as deceased on her credit record which you should have picked up on, most certainly {enter catalogue name here}.

Your faithfully,

Dad to Sign Here

Then you send the following letter to the catalogue company, again amending the bold parts - do not copy each other into each others letters though cos you're trying to get compo from them both hehe.....

Send to Catalogue with a copy of receipt
        • Dear Sirs,

Ref: Fraudulent Activity & Pressure Scam Tactics

I write with reference to your letter dated XX/XX/2010 in respect of some shoes, ordered and returned to you on {enter date of return here}.

My late wife ordered some shoes from you but when they came they didn't fit. She returned them and ordered a different style, unfortunately she then passed away rather suddenly. As a result, I returned the shoes in question on {enter date of post office receipt} - proof of the receipt is attached, which was handed to me when I returned the shoes.

So, you must be able to appreciate my horror and downright disgust to find, upon my return from a prolonged trip abroad, a letter from {enter DCA name here} demanding full repayment - how dare you sell an account that is clear to a third party debt collection agency! This is a traumatising time enough without the need to bring it all up again by writing to you. I have returned the shoes in question, and also provided proof now I suggest you update your records and close this account.

For the inconvenience and stress caused at such a sad time, for me and my family, I expect a generous offer of compensation to be forthcoming prior to my seeking legal advice against you for your rash attitude and incorrect harassment of innocent people. I expect a response to my letter with an accompanying cheque, payable to me, no later than 14 days from the date of this letter. Failure to comply will result in a counterclaim being submitted against you for your evident breaches and lack of empathy in such extreme circumstances - for the record, my late wife already shows as deceased on her credit record which you should have picked up on, most certainly the debt collection agency should have.

Your faithfully,

Dad to Sign Here
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

plus its all in your step moms name right? No offence but how long has she been passed away for? Don't creditors have so long to claim on the estate ... maybe thats just overseas dunno.

Comment

a few weeks, remember Pixie told us about her mum..... as for estate, there is no debt! shoes were returned and they have proof...... lol
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

oooh Yes I do remember now.. Mind like a sift lately!

Comment

Thanks Niddy and Jen.

The account is in my Dad's name, not sure why!

Comment

Ok well just amend letters slightly!! Unless you dont want to use them. Up to you

Comment

The letters have been sent with slight amendments.

Thank you again Niddy! ;K7

Comment

PixieChick

Have this been resolved now honey?

And OMG, I must have missed your posts on the loss of your step mum sweetheart and I am so sorry, after all the support you gave me when I lost my dad, I am so so sorry babe I did not know, or my head have been away in the clouds :red

So sorry for your loss, and thinking of you and your dad lots of hugs, god bless XXXXXXXXX

Comment

No, he didn't hear anything else.

Funnily enough I asked him about this at the beginning of this week and I've fired off another letter!!

Comment

My Dad still hasn't heard anything but he checked his credit report yesterday and it's listed as an unpaid debt on there!

Comment

Hmmm, they are fooked! That is libel...... take a print out of the erroneous entries on his report lol. You'll need those later when we claim compo!

Comment

Hiya

Just bumping on this.

I see you have sent another letter PixieChick, have they responded at all since?

Comment

Working...
                              X