GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script GRACE & ANR – v– BLACK HORSE LIMITED [2014] EWCA Civ 1413 30/10/2014 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRACE & ANR – v– BLACK HORSE LIMITED [2014] EWCA Civ 1413 30/10/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRACE & ANR – v– BLACK HORSE LIMITED [2014] EWCA Civ 1413 30/10/2014

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2014/1413.html

Attached Files
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 30 October 2014, 14:52. Reason: added pdf inline
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: GRACE & ANR – v– BLACK HORSE LIMITED [2014] EWCA Civ 1413 30/10/2014

So in layman it appears that they won the part of the appeal that allows for recording a default against a debtor whom is fighting UE - in essence you need to pay attention to points 41-44 of the judgment.

41. I have not found the choice between these submissions at all easy. But in the end I have concluded that Mr Brennan is right. It was not accurate to describe Mr Grace as a defaulter under his hire purchase agreement once a competent court had decided that it was irremediably unenforceable against him. My reasons follow.

42. It is common ground that a default registration with a CCA is a stigma, with potentially serious consequences for the consumer's credit rating. Yet where Parliament has decided that a class of consumer should not have to pay a debt of that kind, and a court has decided (or the parties have recognised) that a particular consumer is within that class, I consider it very counter-intuitive to think that he can accurately be stigmatised as a defaulter in a semi-public register without, at least, the unenforceable nature of the debt being recorded in the same entry. For it is invariably the creditor's default in complying with the CCA that has led to the consumer being regarded by Parliament as not having to pay the debt, and a statutory liberty not to pay is so central to any continued non-payment that the registration of his non-payment as a default is generally inaccurate unless accompanied with a reference to that liberty.

43. I recognise that this conclusion may require a re-examination of remediable unenforceability, because I am by no means sure that the same analysis may not equally apply. Why should the exempt debtor be labelled a defaulter during any limited period during which Parliament had decided that he should not have to pay? But that question is for another day.

44. The outcome of this analysis is that this part of the appeal succeeds. To the limited extent that Mr Grace is not statute barred, the breach of the DPA constituted by the default registration did cause the alleged loss, because no other registration of him as a defaulter under his hire purchase agreement could then have been made, there having then been no facility for the simultaneous registration of the non-enforceability of his debt.
    The points in red suggest that a creditor should not add a default entry against you unless there is an accompanying element stating that you are chasing UE and until a court deems it irredeemably UE there should be no such default marker without such a notice accompanying it. However that said, it appears they're not arguing any more on that - as stated "But that question is for another day"...

So lets see what happens a result of this case
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: GRACE & ANR – v– BLACK HORSE LIMITED [2014] EWCA Civ 1413 30/10/2014

I have embedded the .pdf into post 1 - it will propagate in a few minutes and be available to view in the browser....
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X