GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Which broadband companies are any good? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which broadband companies are any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which broadband companies are any good?

I need to get reasonably priced broadband at my father's house. It is going to be used by males, so need unlimited downloads!
    I'm going through all the comparison sites and they all seem to recommend different companies!
    So, I need unlimited download, fastish and cheap. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Thank you
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Which broadband companies are any good?

sky.....? virgin...???
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'm with talk talk - its ok - no real problems - we did at first as it was VERY SLOW -but now seems absoutely fine

Comment

I used to have talk talk, and provided you have no issues (as happened with me) they are fantastic. However, if you have problems, they can be, and are, abhorrent.

Personally, I would recommend Sky (maybe get a package deal of some kind?)
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Can't say for others, but Sky is usually good, and the "unlimited" package really is unlimited.

Comment

Thanks for the replies; trouble with BT is that they are 18 month contracts. We will have limited occupancy and want to pay the least amount of compensation for cancellation.
            As for Sky the area is one of those expensive BT areas where you can't have lots of the good deals.

Comment

not plusnet they have been woeful, cheap (not really) no foreign call centres (but a right collection of the most supercilious halfwits outside of a DCAs office on the planet)
              I nearly had a stroke dealing with the last eejit, "swop the box that you're connected to the box we sent you two years ago in the main box" WTF!!!

Our exchange has just been upgraded and although not to superdooperness, we can't get cable so no Virgin, I've looked and I thought BT looked the best deal on Topcashback, I just want a decent speed we run at half a meg most of the time which is a bloody nightmare
              does BT have foreign call centres?

Comment

we've just been "upgraded" but from prehistoric to victorian so no infinity here, we can get sky but how do you tell the difference between packages? ie what's cheap??

Comment

Have had a look on Sam Knows
                  SamKnows - Broadband Availability Checker
                  you can ckeck whats available and estimated speed
                  It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

NONE

Although we are with BT no superfast in this area.
                    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 5 July 2012, 17:01.

Comment

if you have Sky and watch a lot, why not combine it all (Phone, phone line, Broadband, and Sky)

We use o2, and for o2 customers the phone line, unlimited broadband £15.00 p/mth (Phone calls extra £1.50 unlimited evening and weekends - but we use minutes on mobiles instead) - don't use Sky anymore - cancelled it for the sky dish so we can watch Freesat over a year ago

i would compare package prices like the Sky one.

Latest news Release today from Ofcom:

Ofcom sets caps on BT internet line prices

Telecoms regulator Ofcom may force BT to cut the price it charges firms to provide internet access outside London. In an effort to curb the cost of leasing capacity on BT's networks, the regulator outlined proposed price caps. It said these would lead to "real-terms price reductions" for internet service providers and other firms. As a result, companies such as O2, Vodafone or Plusnet would then be able to pass those savings on to their customers.....Read more here: BBC News - Ofcom sets caps on BT internet line prices

Comment

I am on o2 and have been since they started their BB, looking to switch now though and we have Sky so I may tell Sky I can't afford it and see if they will offer me free or half price stuff plus BB. Lots of deals about at the minute it is just picking the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

we've been with virgin a fair while now...while it advertises "unlimited" its not strictly true they do whats called "traffic shaping" we have a 10mb cable connection (due to be doubled soon for free) so if I go over whats allowed download wise our connection is cut in half for a few hours then back to 10mb later..

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                            I am on o2 and have been since they started their BB, looking to switch now though and we have Sky so I may tell Sky I can't afford it and see if they will offer me free or half price stuff plus BB. Lots of deals about at the minute it is just picking the wheat from the chaff.
                            I only went with o2, as they were charging half price line installation £43 rather than BT charging £250 or so 1/2 price line & broadband unlimited (Traffic watch).......as i didn't have a Line in the home at the time (plus o2 was giving £30 cheque (which they sent me 2 £30 cheques instead , 12 month contract rather than 24 month plus after the 12 months, i get the next 12 months at the same price as this current 12 month contract 1/2 price again (i've checked all in the small print as well )

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                              I only went with o2, as they were charging half price line installation £43 rather than BT charging £250 or so 1/2 price line & broadband unlimited (Traffic watch).......as i didn't have a Line in the home at the time (plus o2 was giving £30 cheque (which they sent me 2 £30 cheques instead , 12 month contract rather than 24 month plus after the 12 months, i get the next 12 months at the same price as this current 12 month contract 1/2 price again (i've checked all in the small print as well )
                              I currently pay £9.50 for unlimited BB because I have a contract mobile, line is still with BT though, I know BT do traffic shaping as do o2, mine is not shaped at all as I am on the old legacy contract and are no longer available, I keep getting asked if I would like a new plan but that would mean another three quid a month and traffic shaping - no thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X