GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Economy Airline incident - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economy Airline incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy Airline incident

Flight home from holiday on ECOAIR the stewadess serving hot drinks accidentially upset a whole cup of hot chocolate over my o/h. My o/h suffers with diabetes and the shock sent him into a coma. He was stone out for 30 minutes. They called over the tannoy for a doctor and we got a nurse and a vet - so I suppose that was not too bad considering that the ECOAIR staff are not conversant with first aid or know how to deal with a crisis. They did not even have a blanket when he lost body heat.

The nurse was able to check his blood sugars and take his pulse... the pulse on first check was extremely low so they kept on taking it every 5-10 minutes until it improved. They administered oxygen and eventually he came round it was extremely worrying.

He wants to file a claim against them, they ruined a brand new designer shirt as well as the agrevation this caused him has anyone any ideas how to go about claiming compensation from them. He was totally unaware of what happened when he came round and did not even know about the incident which caused him to pass out.

Thanks
    Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:31.
    My site name is after General Tutts who won a famous battle at Newbury many moons ago 1643 - I hope to win all my battles and will fight to the bitter end.

Economy Airline incident

that's quite a shock! I'd be speaking to a solicitor, you may find you're covered for taking action in your home contents and/or holiday cover.

But i'd be speaking to a solicitor about this, ECO AIR deserve it - they are notoriously shambolic and treat us like bits of meat - i'll never use them, i'd rather walk!
    Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:13.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      i'd rather walk!
      I only know of one other person (that allegedly exists) that can walk on water.
      Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:13.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

i'd rather walk!
        wish I could walk that far, the ra flight takes us within 10/15 mins from hotel so it is convenient but not very comfortable and if there was a convenient other method of getting there I would.
        Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:14.
        My site name is after General Tutts who won a famous battle at Newbury many moons ago 1643 - I hope to win all my battles and will fight to the bitter end.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Awwww Milly, sounds horrendous......hope you can get some compensation!!!!
          Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:14.
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Originally posted by oscar View Post
            I only know of one other person (that allegedly exists) that can walk on water.
            No mate, he can't - he has holes in his feet
            Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:15.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Economy Airline incident

oh dear that sounds dreadful, thank goodness there was a nurse on board. i hope your OH is ok now x

Comment

Economy Airline incident

No mate, he can't - he has holes in his feet
                Ha! A blasphemer, eh!

Seriously, though, imo this ought to be followed up properly via a decent solicitor (not an ambulance-chaser).
                Is there CCTV on these flights?

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  Ha! A blasphemer, eh!

Seriously, though, imo this ought to be followed up properly via a decent solicitor (not an ambulance-chaser).
                  Is there CCTV on these flights?
                  Charity, we are talking
                  ECO AIRLINE here with not even a basic first aid kit - smelling salts would have been a fantastic item for them to have had as well as a blanket. and trained first aider on the flight - they relied only on the help of passengers. They are such cheap skates.

I take your point about a decent solicitor.

Does anyone know if we would have to sue them in Ireland or the UK?

Hubby has a client in Ireland who is a solicitor as I am sure Irish law is different to UK law and Michael OLeary law aka ECOAIRwill be a law unto himself and will definately need a good solicitor.
                  Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:32.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Hi Milly

Just been through a claim, so what would help is statements from everyone who was around you, did you have the presence of mind to ask names of the nurse and the vet? I know its not the first thing into your head but independent witnesses are what you need. I would also complain to ECOAIR on a number of counts, being as they are flying here and there without any bloody first aiders on board, might be worth a look at air regulations to see if that is legal. And of course they dropped the drink in the first place so claim for the shirt, then shock and distress, and I'd get OH checked to make sure he has sustained no ill effects, ie burns, bruises etc. Then you need to get a hold of a solicitor that does no win no fee, don't go for one of the big national companies, try a couple of local guys, they will advertise if they do it. That also gives you the chance to speak to a professional who will be able to tell you if you have a case. and lastly, I know I don't need to say this, but sign nothing connected with ECOAIR, wouldn't put it past them to sneak a wee no blame compromise in somewhere. Lastly, be aware its a long, very frustating road and you won't get a great deal out of it, but why should ECOAIR get away shoddy service?
                    Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:34. Reason: usual rotten spelling

Comment

Economy Airline incident

I really did not have the pressence of mind to get the details of the nurse and vet who attended him (both Italian), but the two passengers sitting in the seats on the next row were also at our hotel had witnessed the whole thing. We did not know them before the holiday and had only met them a few days before we were coming home and as we were on the same flight we shared a taxi to the airport. TBVH, both my daughter and I were both in a bad way when he was not waking up and it took me completely off guard.

This couple were terribly concerned about my husband they contacted the travel agent who coincidentially booked both our holidays and they were able to get our telephone number from the agent so that they could check on how my o/h was, so now I do have their contact details and they I am sure will agree to be our independent witnesses should the need arise. She also assisted with testing his blood as she is also a diabetic and had her testing equipment to hand and being that she was aware that he was diabetic had thought he had a hyper and had also got out her glucose sweets in case.

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
                      Hi Milly
                      Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:33.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Ok Milly

You've got independent witnesses, that's step one. Keep all the bits (tickets etc) on the flight and actually it should be in their accident book, if it isn't then they are in trouble with H&S, actually I'd phone the local (to the airport) H&S nd explain about the accident and ask them to do an inspection on the methodology of dispensing drinks on the flights, its another independent voice, and it worked beautifully in my case!!!
                        Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:18.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

We asked the stewardess for a report number she told us that the pilot will have recorded it in the accident report book. They never took notes of our names but said we only needed the flight number and the date.

What do you mean by contact H&S nearest to the airport? we flew from Stanstead??

Also, would these people be able to advise if they should have a first aider amongst the crew and why they did not have a first aid kit or a blanket?

Many thanks for your assistance in this matter. x

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
                          Ok Milly

You've got independent witnesses, that's step one. Keep all the bits (tickets etc) on the flight and actually it should be in their accident book, if it isn't then they are in trouble with H&S, actually I'd phone the local (to the airport) H&S nd explain about the accident and ask them to do an inspection on the methodology of dispensing drinks on the flights, its another independent voice, and it worked beautifully in my case!!!
                          Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:19.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

Originally posted by Milly88 View Post
                            What do you mean by contact H&S nearest to the airport? we flew from Stanstead??
                            I think she means Health & Safety--> HSE: Information about health and safety at work
                            Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:19.

Comment

Economy Airline incident

thank you Swanny, Scottish system is a wee bit different, so I was going all Scottish there!!!

loads of info there Milly!
                              Last edited by jen_br; 26 June 2011, 21:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X