GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Alzheimers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alzheimers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alzheimers

Have an elderly Aunt who has admitted she can no longer cope & has gone into a care home. She apparently has some money but this is unlikely to last very long. She has been admitted as 'self funding' at present. As her only relative I am now trying to sort out her home (housing assos) & her money. Tried to get in touch with Alzheimer's Soc but think I will be dead before I could get through! Same with CAB. Only helpful advice from Lady at post office who has similar situation. At present it appears that I need either a 'power of Attorney' or to be a 'deputy'. POA has to be done by a Sol & she has to understand what she is signing. At present some days she will & some she won't so not sure how this will pan out. The 'deputy' has to go to a 'Court of Protection' and this takes about six months. It appears that until either of these are done I cannot access her Bank Accounts or have authority to do any thing. I have now received a Bank Statement re-directed to me but her address on it is wrong & there are some VERY large amounts of cash been taken out recently. The Care home have sent me forms to sign regarding her medical care together with a bill for £2500. I can neither pay this nor access her accounts. I am her only relative & she lives a long way away - I have able to go & see her & am planning to go again to try & sort out her house & take what items she needs to the home. The housing assos have been in touch & obviously want the house back asap.
    If anyone has ANY helpful ideas I would be very grateful.
    Many thanks
    Riberac Lass

Re: Alzheimers

Thanks for posting this.

I'm sure there are people that can help. However just so you know we're adding a new section to the forum for mental health & mental disability problems as it's something many of these debt sites don't have; BUT debt with the mentally impaired is a serious topic that shouldn't go unmissed.

I'll therefore be moving this post later tonight, I'll pm you the new link unless you've subbed to the thread?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Riberaclass,

Sorry to hear about this situation that you find yourself in, it can be a very stressful time not only to your mum but also to you so it is very important that you also take some time out for yourself.

This direct.gov page will be helpful to you.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...head/DG_186373

This page also has some useful links

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_d...out_your_money

Due to the time delays it is important that you get the ball rolling asap to limit any delays you may get.

Regards

Comment

Hello Riberac lass,

What a dreadful situation! We have two cases in our own family that have and are having to be dealt with.

Firstly, as you are clearly internet literate have avery good read of the "SAGA" website there is some very good information on there.

I would not wish to pry any further into what you ahve said but there are some important questions you will have to ask yourself.

Firstly over the lasting power of attorney, there are in fact two now which you will have to get organised. One is for financial matters and the other is for health and welfare matters. You will need a soliciotr who knows his stuff to actually deal with all as the forms are quite complex and have to be filled out correctly.

Secondly, as your aunt has already been diagnosed it would seem then you have difficulty in getting it done because she may not be considered fit enough to sign them.

If she has ever been sectioned under section 3 of the Mental Health Act then all of her care will have to funded by Social services under section 117 of the Act. They have no choice.

I will have to go for a bit as we are having trouble with our broadband and I will get booted off.

regards
        Garlok

Comment

Right try again for a bit more.

If you feel that you cannot cope with this and your aunt is a care home and you feel that something is amiss then:-

Who authorised those payments from your aunts account? (dont tell em just assess for yourself what is happening.

Why have the banks made payments and yet have frozen the acounts?

They cannot have it both ways, either your aunt is capable and the LPAs won't be a problem and it is she that has authorised those payments,

OR:

She is not capable and hence any LPA is going to be difficult then those payment may not have beenlawfully made for one and secondly in those circumstances you can ask the Court of Protection to declare that your aunt is a vulnerable adult and in need of protection. It is likeley then that the public guardian will step in and take control in the very best interests of your aunt. The Court in these circumstances has wide ranging jurisdiction and the pena;lties for infringing their instructions are quite draconian.

There have been recent successes over funding for care for those not yet declared "critical" which MUST be funded from the public purse in a recent challenge to Birmingham City Social Services which they to date have not decided to appeal.

So there are a number of things there for you to consider. Have a think have a read around and come back to see if there is anything further we can do.

I wish you well.
          best regards
          Garlok

Comment

Hi there

I am thinking of you, and hope things settle down very soon.

My dad, had this dreadful illness and he passed away last July aged 69, he passed away down to pneumonia.

My dad ended up in a EMI care home due to his other critical medical conditions because the home care he was receiving was not working out.

I can see your getting the good advice on this matter, but I can try to help where I can, mainly my older brother and sister dealt with these matters, and I can always ask them for you if required.

Love and thoughts xxxx

Comment

Hi Riberaclass, We had to go through all of this nearly 18 months ago with Mum, My Sister handled most of the details as she lived closer to Mum. Now as I remember it, Social and the Local Health Trust were involved, as part of assesment and treatment. When Mum went into the Home Social Services provided a type of Bridging Loan and the Home was also very good about waiting for payment until her Bank accounts and assets were sorted out.

Again I apologise if I am not entirely accurate on this, but once Mums money dropped below 16K she then went from self funding to fully funded. In this respect we were lucky because over 20 years ago we put Mums house in 3 names, Mums, Sis and me. This meant when the house was sold only a 1/3 rd went into mums account. In this way the system didn't get to fleece her for the lot.

Having said that Sis and me got hammered for Capital Gains, but Hey ho the least of our worries.

Regards to all, Handy.
              Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
              Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Thanks Handyman for reminding me. On the Saga site there is a table which lays out all the relevant sums for funding etc against the amount of savings and assets.

Its pretty clear there what you can have in savings and assets which can't be touched. In our researches we have found many instances where Primary Health Trusts and Social Services Depts have misled families and monies have been taken which should not have been taken from the persons assets. That of course may change following this High Court decision against B'ham and they also have another case against them looming.

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Age Cymru Guide to Paying for Care

Also, please click onto the link: Lisa Morgan:
                  Lisa Morgan
                  Last edited by Angry Cat; 22 June 2011, 13:12.

Comment

We haven't heard from Riberaclass. I hope we/I haven't frightened her away.

regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                      We haven't heard from Riberaclass. I hope we/I haven't frightened her away.

regards
                      Garlok
                      Noooo she's a regular here, she'll be back
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Niddy. Just a bit concerned in these sort of circumstances as they are a bit delicate to say the least.

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE!!
                          I had not looked at my post for a couple of days as I didn't think I would get many replies! I should have realised with the wonderful 'Nidd' community that I would be overwhelmed. I been phoning around & have now been in touch with a helpful chap from Alzheimers Soc. I've got various people to ring & try & get information from - it does seems as though it depends on how able my Aunt is at understanding/signing. The Power of Attorney appears to take 3 months & the other choice appears to be a 'Deputy' which is done through the courts & takes about 6 months. Not sure how the home is going to take this news as they have already sent me a bill for £2500!! I'm going to take the weekend to read & investigate all you suggestions so I'll post again when I've done this. I'm very grateful for all your replies. Many thanks RL

Comment

Look forward to hearing of your progress Riberaclass. There are those of us who realise what a painful time this is and I am sure we can all rally round and "chip in our bit" to help you through.

regards
                            Garlok

Comment

riberaclass, Garlok,

Ill second that, we are only a few clicks away.

Comment

Working...
                              X