GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tax credits overpayment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax credits overpayment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax credits overpayment

HMRC have sent me a letter saying I owe them for tax credits overpayment and should ring them immediately or else they will pass my details to a private debt collection agency and I will not be able to discuss the size of the debt with the agency.

i only ever claimed tax credits for the period 2010-2011 and didn't renew after that because I knew I wouldn't be entitled. What I told them at the start of my claim was accurate and things didn't change during the year I was on receipt of the credits. There are no statements of account or anything attached to the letter demanding payment, nothing to explain how they arrived at that figure, and I haven't had a single payment since 2011.

It's not a huge amount (hundreds rather than thousands) but I'd like to know why they say they overpaid me.

Re: Tax credits overpayment

Pompeyfaith is probably your best bet. I'll ask him to pop in.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Have you spoken to them to confirm if they have sent the letter? Number should be 0345 300 3900 in case its any different on the letter.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes PF's your man
        In the meantime have a look at the Adviceguide pdf I've attached, for further info..

Elsa x
        Attached Files

Comment

Good Evening Sunnyspell,

If you believe you have meet your responsibilities in giving them correct data, you need to do as a first step to fill out form TC846 TAX CREDIT OVERPAYMENT this is to get you a reconsideration on the decision they made.

tc846.pdf

If you then get the same response in there return letter you will have to dispute it and go down the Subject Access Request (SAR) to get all information relating to your tax credits claim inc the calculations they used and the reason they say you owe it.

SAR Template should you need it:

(Your Address)

(Date)
          TO; HM Revenue & Customs – Tax Credits
          Subject Access Request Team
          Floor 1 Area E,
          St Marks House
          Stanley Street
          Preston,
          PR1 4AT

Ref: (Your NI number)

Data Protection Act 1998
          Subject Access Request

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please would you supply me with a complete list of personal data you hold on me. You should be aware that personal data can be held in written information, e-mails, electronic documents, photographs, CCTV images, telephone conversations and include recorded opinions about or intentions regarding myself.

Additionally, where there has been any event in the account history over this period which has required any manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention in relation to my account.

If you are unable to supply the information in relation to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be kind enough to confirm this in your response to this request.

This is my request to access ALL the data held by you and any other company associated with you about myself. You should be fully aware of the statutory obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 and that any failure to comply with this request could result in a contravention of the said Act.

You have 40 Days in which to comply.
          Yours sincerely

(Signed)

If you do send of the SAR get back to us with the reply and we will take it on from there

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
            Yes PF's your man
            In the meantime have a look at the Adviceguide pdf I've attached, for further info..

Elsa x
            Thanks Elsa, will take a look, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, was away for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              Have you spoken to them to confirm if they have sent the letter? Number should be 0345 300 3900 in case its any different on the letter.
              Yes, that's the number on the letter and it was sent by them.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                Good Evening Sunnyspell,

If you believe you have meet your responsibilities in giving them correct data, you need to do as a first step to fill out form TC846 TAX CREDIT OVERPAYMENT this is to get you a reconsideration on the decision they made.
                Many thanks for that Pompeyfaith, I've downloaded the form but it says it should be sent back to them within three months of my award notice telling me of the overpayment. What I've got is not an award notice, just a letter saying they will be passing the debt to a private debt collection agency. I haven't had any recent award notices because I only claimed tax credits once in 2010, which ended in 2011, I think I got an award letter then saying I wouldn't be receiving any more tax credits but nothing about overpayment.

Comment

Still send it in as you have 30 days from date of letter to respond and it is not your fault they were late in informing you.

Comment

Thanks, I'll send it tomorrow.

Comment

Sent the form yesterday with proof of posting, I hope they don't pass it on to a debt collector as they said because then I won't be able to dispute the overpayment. Was also wondering whether a default will be recorded on my credit file, I haven't read anything about HMRC recording defaults, or will it be recorded if it gets passed on to a debt collector?

Thanks again!

Comment

TC debts do not have defaults registered. Only way they could effect your credit file is if some sort of legal action is taken for recovery (ccj etc), which is extraordinarily unlikely.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Rizzle, that's reassuring. I don't need a fresh default for something I probably don't even owe.

Comment

Working...
                          X