GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Washing machine fire - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing machine fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing machine fire

What a day!
    My washing machine went on fire, and two fire brigade engines came out, they were with me by 2 mins of me calling, my hubby was at work and the stench was awful.

The machine is about 7 years old, am wondering if I can make a claim on my house insurance, the fireman who investigated told me too, he said I am entitled too and if the insurer requires a report it to contact them.

Re: Washing machine fire

OMG!! I've heard of these things happening, which is why I never go out and leave mine running.... I hope you're ok. That must have been frightening!

It's definitely worth putting a claim in to see what happens. Make sure you include any damage to surroundings, etc. as well though.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What luck you were at home when it happened. My dishwasher caught fire on the Millennium New Year's Eve when I had agreed to stay home to babysit while my mates went partying. Along came two fire engines complete with drop dead gorgeous fireman. I wasn't complaining.

You should be able to claim your washing machine off your contents insurance depending on whether they see it as an accident or a peril which is covered. The report will detail what actually caused the fire. If there were clothes in the machine which got ruined they should definitely be covered by your contents policy.

Any damage to your kitchen such as burn marks on walls, worktop, floor or flooding will be covered by your buildings insurance. You will need to make two separate claims.

In my case I approached the appliance manufacturer who paid up as a gesture of goodwill because it proved to be an electrical fault with the machine. This meant I didn't claim on my insurance(s) so didn't get any premium increase on renewal. Did the firemen leave the appliance in the garden so the manufacturer can send an inspector if necessary?

Comment

Thank you all xxx

It was so scary, but I acted so quick, with me, and my youngest who has special needs and my little cat was here, hubby and oldest son was at work at the time.

Thankfully I never leave the house when machine on etc, but sometimes I do have a doze, so thank goodness I didnt.

The fireman was the one who suggested me to make the claim and written a report, he said "accident" he said the insurers will highly possibly contact them, and they will send them the report to say accident. They investigated it and because they put the fire out before it got any worse they did manage to get the numbers from the machine, but unfortunately its not likely the guy who sold me the machine with the kitchen will help because Ive been told he went to prison, mainly because of his company being rogues. So there was no specific make to the machine, it came in as a integrated package.

I am still in shock but doing okay. Think there must have been a total of 15 fireman lol and all were young and dishy, the inspector was the older one lol.

Thank you all xx

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
          Think there must have been a total of 15 fireman lol and all were young and dishy

Every cloud has a silver lining

Comment

That must have been so scary Di. My washing machine is older than that...and I do sometimes put it on and then go out. I won't be in future though!
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Lmao PlanB LOL LOL!!

I think we learn from these things Pixie but we still dont expect it to happen to us do we :-/

Comment

Most tenancy agreements stipulate that the appliances must not be left on when the tenant is out for that very reason. If the tenant causes a fire then they are 100% liable for the damage.

I confess that I switch everything on when I leave the house but after your experience I will now think twice. In fact I won't even leave the dishwasher on when I go to bed in case I wake up to find myself on fire.

Thanks for the warning Di and I hope you're feeling relieved that it didn't cause anything more serious than your undies being burnt to a frazzle.

Plan B xx

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                  In fact I won't even leave the dishwasher on when I go to bed in case I wake up to find myself on fire.
                  The element in my dishwasher exploded some years ago.... It didn't catch fire but then, I was there to turn it off. The same dishwasher also ran on and on and on through the night and was still going in the morning when I woke up. The dishes were sparkly but it worried me that something could have happened while we were asleep. Hence why I never go out and leave machines on and don't have them running through the night either.

I also don't buy anything with Indesit on it....
                  Remember the mantra:
                  NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                  Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                  Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Thank you all so much, and sorry about all your experiences (to who have had similar experiences).

I dug out our Insurance Policy, hubby will be contacting them later, as it's just under his name, we checked the contents and it appears to be £100 access, I dont mind that as some are expensive as £500 or more and as our's was integrated, am in 2 minds whether to stick to integrated or not?

Comment

..........oh also to add, that the insurance is with Co Op/CIS, F&A Insurance (under AXA) insurers.

Comment

Photo's being sent to their claims dept today as requested by them.
                        The claim was done yesterday.

Hopefully will have some good news in the next few days, fingers crossed.

Comment

So glad you are all ok and it didn't wreck your home!!!

Back in 1992 I stuck new nappies in the washing machine to soften up and hubbys work shirts and went out with my newborn.... came back home and looked up the stairs to our flat and thought "Hmm... looks foggy... "... Mum and I carried the pram upstairs and I said "Does it look foggy in here?" and Mum said it did and that it was very warm.. walked into the kitchen and it was like a sauna... As I got near the brand new!!! washing machine I noticed the front of it was MELTING!!! Ran to the electric cut off switch and flicked it.

What happened was the thermostat was faulty so the water was trying to get to 40'C but didn't recognise that it was above that.. you could hear the insides crackling and the water (and clothes) were black.

I had the whole thing removed the next day as it was only a week old and they replaced all the clothes and terry nappies...

The terry nappies were expensive enough as it is but the funny thing was I had been to a boot fair the day before and the shirts I was washing for hubby were 7 second hand designer shirts (probably even third hand) that I paid a total of £10 for... they replaced new for old!!! We ended up with loads of money lol .... enough to get more nappies from Mothercare, shirts and other stuff at the next boot fair!

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
                            So glad you are all ok and it didn't wreck your home!!!

Back in 1992 I stuck new nappies in the washing machine to soften up and hubbys work shirts and went out with my newborn.... came back home and looked up the stairs to our flat and thought "Hmm... looks foggy... "... Mum and I carried the pram upstairs and I said "Does it look foggy in here?" and Mum said it did and that it was very warm.. walked into the kitchen and it was like a sauna... As I got near the brand new!!! washing machine I noticed the front of it was MELTING!!! Ran to the electric cut off switch and flicked it.

What happened was the thermostat was faulty so the water was trying to get to 40'C but didn't recognise that it was above that.. you could hear the insides crackling and the water (and clothes) were black.

I had the whole thing removed the next day as it was only a week old and they replaced all the clothes and terry nappies...

The terry nappies were expensive enough as it is but the funny thing was I had been to a boot fair the day before and the shirts I was washing for hubby were 7 second hand designer shirts (probably even third hand) that I paid a total of £10 for... they replaced new for old!!! We ended up with loads of money lol .... enough to get more nappies from Mothercare, shirts and other stuff at the next boot fair!
                            Golly what an awful experience you had! So sorry to hear that! I know its one that I will never forget.
                            I learnt never to leave my machines on and go out some years ago when it happened with my mother's, her's was only 13 months old, and it was lots worse than mine.
                            New or old machine a lesson learnt.

Glad you had a good outcome too lovely and with a baby as well Xx

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              and as our's was integrated, am in 2 minds whether to stick to integrated or not?
                              By integrated do you mean combined washer/dryer?

I've only had one of those once and never again! I had more problems with it (they ended up replacing it before the 12 months was up) than I have with all the other washers and dryers I've had over the last 30+ years combined.
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                              X