GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclays Additions Plus Account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclays Additions Plus Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays Additions Plus Account

I have a Barclays Additions Plus Account and have used the services that the account offers.
    Nationwide is offering a better service with their Flex Account, which is also £6 a month cheaper, so I decided to cancel Barclays Additions and sign up for the Flex Account.
    However, when I called Barclays telephone banking, I was told that I would need to repay my overdraft and close the account, then open a new one, which surprised me somewhat.
    i complained online to Barclays, as I felt this was extremely unfair and an advisor called me back to say that I was given wrong advice, he removed the Additions and changed the account to a standard one with my current overdraft intact.
    He also paid £300 into my account, made up of a years fee refund and apology for any stress caused. So if you find yourself in a similar position, contact the complaints department!

Re: Barclays Additions Plus Account

Great news Dibs!
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Pixie :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dibsfbd View Post
        I have a Barclays Additions Plus Account and have used the services that the account offers.
        Nationwide is offering a better service with their Flex Account, which is also £6 a month cheaper, so I decided to cancel Barclays Additions and sign up for the Flex Account.
        However, when I called Barclays telephone banking, I was told that I would need to repay my overdraft and close the account, then open a new one, which surprised me somewhat.
        i complained online to Barclays, as I felt this was extremely unfair and an advisor called me back to say that I was given wrong advice, he removed the Additions and changed the account to a standard one with my current overdraft intact.
        He also paid £300 into my account, made up of a years fee refund and apology for any stress caused.
        How long did you have your Barclays Additions Plus Account? I see they've refunded you one year's fees for the account (£300) so maybe they should refund you the same for all the other years you have been paying.

I see you say you used some of the services provided but did you use all of them and were they appropriate for you?

Is it the account which you have had for 20 years because that could tot up to a fair sum of money which could even wipe out your overdraft?

Comment

The car failed its MOT and cost £578 on Friday, which wiped out the refund and this months money, hence my stress!
          It is the same bank account and I used the household emergency service once, the other services were of no use,also I used the free £250 O/D part.
          Can I try for more, as I accepted his offer?

Comment

I used the household emergency service once, the other services were of no use,also I used the free £250 O/D part.

You need to contact Di30 about reclaiming on Missold Packaged Bank accounts. She's posted a Template Letter on this thread here:

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post287282

I don't know what you signed as being "accepted" but it looks like you only accepted compensation for them mucking you about over the intended closure of your bank account not as compensation for a reclaim of misselling.

Comment

Yes , you are correct. Thank you Plan B, you have really helped me put the situation into perspective and I very much appreciate your time.
              I will take a look at the link on my return home, it just might be a way forward :-)

Comment

It's good that they refunded £300 for your stress, now to take them for more. You've got to wonder why they chose to do that, normally it's a £50 cheque/credit and an insincere apology. Let's hope you get what is rightfully yours!

TibetanMonk
                On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

The car failed its MOT and cost £578 on Friday, which wiped out the refund and this months money, hence my stress!
                  It is the same bank account and I used the household emergency service once, the other services were of no use,also I used the free £250 O/D part.

Hiya
                  Firstly well done on your success! And thank you for your PM :-)

As PlanB says I posted up the template sometime ago, so if you believe any of it applies to you then yes there is no harm in giving it a go.

I take it your success is in regards of the charges as such?

If you think you have reasons for being mis sold a packaged account, do go for it, the worse they can say is no and the you will have that option of taking the complaint to the FOS.

You may note on the Bank Accounts thread I have one in with the FOS now, the update on that is that the ombudsman has partially upheld it, but I do have until mid June to provide any further evidence in order for me to succeed in regards of the other accounts that I also complained of.

I am mainly dealing with PPI mis selling issues and only now getting the hang of dealing with these packaged accounts complaints, which is why I had others helping me on this one LOL.
                  It can be more difficult to reclaim but if you dont try you will never know.

Mine was from at the end of year 2000, the bank upgraded my account to Gold Service from a standard classic account because they informed me that the classic accounts with free fee was being phased out and replaced by these accounts, yet they did not once explain the benefits, and then so none of them applied to me anyway, also because with the ones that would have been suitable for us we already held that cover in place at the time elsewhere, for less a month.

I would get a letter in if you think you have your reasons, and if none of the benefits were useful to you, maybe just the one was and the others was not then do tell them that and reasons.

Ask for further help on this if required, good luck x

Comment

Thank you Di for your replies. The refund of £314 was compensation for incorrect advice, phone calls and stress. I didn't question the possibility of it being mis-sold and the complaints handler didn't mention it either.
                    Assuming that I can claim it would amount to around £1300, less any deductions they felt relevant, so will give it a go, as any refund would be a great bonus!
                    Good luck with your claim :-)
                    Dibs x

Comment

Good luck Dibs in your pursuit of claiming back the fees that are owed to you. I'm currently going through this myself with sharklays for my own account and my dads account. It's really easy to complain. I just logged into my online banking, and used the contact us/make a complaint link when you're logged into online banking. They will send you a letter in the post confirming their acknowledgement, but make it clear that you want all communications in writing to leave a paper trail incase you need to escalate it to the FOS. It has been known for sharklays customer relations department to trick people into answering questions over the phone that would make your case void. One of the many questions is, did you receive a welcome pack through the post? If you answer yes, then it will go against you and your complaint may not be upheld.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, Mr Boink. They have not replied yet, so no further forward at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                        X