GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cyprus- Is this the future if your bank fecks up? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyprus- Is this the future if your bank fecks up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyprus- Is this the future if your bank fecks up?

Bankers and politicos now feel the euro is safe enough for it to be ok to levy a one off fee on peoples savings.

Putting aside the reasons, russians money laundering taxpayers in Germany not happy how many would be happy with this decision?

And whats more why do the banks and Politicos now not think there might not be a run on the banks where this tax has been imposed overnight

Self defeating and just hope every man jack who has savings in any of these institutions pulls it out and puts it anywhere including under the matress to force some of these barstewards to the wall.

If happened to me I would pull the lot out. What they done is no different to a thief climbing through the window and having it away.

Re: Cyprus- Is this the future if your bank fecks up?

We (AAD) bank with Bank of Cyprus

But have sod all cash in the account so not too bad
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

it's actually beyond belief that to try and tax money launderers from Russia they can just ride roughshod over everyone else.

the Cypriots have had an unfortunate history, we have friends who lost everything in the war, they couldn't get back to their house,farm, animals etc because they drew the line down the middle and they were on the wrong side of it. They are still litigating to try to recover some of the stuff they lost. This could just tip the lot over again.

the Cypriot banks must be feeling quite chipper.................

Comment

Blimey.

This is really topical then.

Its borderline criminal.

i would be seriously seriously peed off if I was a saver. Money launderer or not.

My compound interest rates calculating brain aint the best but a 6% and nearly 10% levy is a few years wiped out.

Feel for the taxpayer too but seems the public just goes on getting shafted for it all.

And yet banks still think million pound bonus still ok. And being a bonus that dont include the day wage.

Barking.

Comment

When we went to Cyprus years ago we were up the Woolworths tower and wanted to go to Famigousta for the day. Ermm nope. The soldiers at the border made it clear if we went from Cyprus to the North that we'd not get back through.

What a waste. Yet again the Turks are the primary fault.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Here it is --> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...Zone_in_Cyprus

Comment

I think you can now but it was fast and horrible at the time.

I just can't get over the fact that any government would have the audacity to sign away it's citizen's personal money without even asking, they are asking for trouble. Do you think they would get away with this if Spain or Italy goes?

Comment

Thats what people in the know are already saying.

Both those countries are struggling

All you need is savers to get nervous this will apply to them and whooooosh lovely bank run.

Dunno as you say why penalise your own savers. The money launderers will just get the washing machine out again but move the money to some other seriously hidden tax haven.

Comment

Cypriot bank customers reactions to savings levy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21821029
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just goes to show, the floorboards are still the safest place for your money.

Obviously you cant shove 10 or 20k under the matress, but ill tell you now, i only bank money that i know gets paid out, i never stick anything extra in any account.

Its criminal what they have done, its like a double tax, taxed on their income, taxed on money left in their account.

Well the tax man is not getting any of mine, never has though LOL
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      We (AAD) bank with Bank of Cyprus

But have sod all cash in the account so not too bad

Tis a worry though - not sure whether I should move mine abroad
                      Last edited by MattyA; 17 March 2013, 22:31. Reason: shite spelling....again

Comment

Do you bank with them mate?

Comment

Noooo - but this is probs just the start & I just wonder where it will all stop.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                            Noooo - but this is probs just the start & I just wonder where it will all stop.
                            Ahhhh time to stash it under the floorboards mate

Or buy a villa somewhere very hot

Comment

Just dont bank in the banks if the hot place is Cyprus

Nice to see them all pulling their money out.

Would serve the whole establishment right if this little experiment in wealth distribution went T*ts up

Comment

Working...
                              X