GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Wow Handy I don't know how you do it all. What an immaculate garden, sorry Estate!
    Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
    SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

Very impressive superlush!

Comment

Looks amazing Handy!!!!!!!

xxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          My restored bench from a few weeks ago, now up by the tennis court that never gets used so that lady Hooray can rest her weary ass on her weekly walk around the grounds.
          Thought you'd be on the court practising for Wimbledon Handy.

Grounds look stunning.

Comment

A dream home, just what I like. Stunning indeed!

Comment

Good Evening All. Thank you for your comments on the grounds here at Hooray Hall.

Please don’t get the wrong idea though and think I’m showing off. (well maybe a little).
              I used to live in a two up two down in a grimy suburb of a large Northern industrial city. I really did live next door to the gas works. Two flipping great Gasometers were all I could see from by back door. I was only a minutes walk away from the M1 so the sound of traffic was all I ever heard.

Now please don’t think I have it made now. The Cottage goes with the job, but that is reflected in my salary. The Tax Man seems to think it’s a payment in kind and this has been an on going argument for a few years now.

If anything happened to me and I was unable to carry on working, well that’s the home gone. Same thing applies to the boss, Lady Hooray. Her investments could fail, she could pop off this mortal coil, that would be it no job.

When I have to retire, not for a while yet (long while) then we will have to find somewhere to rent.

So I keep my head down and take each day as it comes. I love living and working here, but if you asked the Wife, she absolutely hates it. She would say the folks down here are not as friendly as the Northerners’ that the local town is rough and the roads are too narrow. That’s hilarious considering that my last year in our home town I was assaulted 3 times, burgled twice and had my car done over 3 times.

Truth is she won’t give it a chance because of DD (step) Her Waster of a Husband and the Grandkids.
              I’m not going to rant, but they milk her for all she’s worth from 250 mile away. If we were on the doorstep they would have us baby sit 24/7 and do all the housework for them. I caused a row at the weekend by saying that we have bought every new stitch of clothing the kids have had since Christmas and I she were to take a step back and let them struggle a bit DD might finally grow up a bit.

Moving on how is this for a view. Looking West from the Gardens, it is like looking at a living painting for each day the scene changes with the seasons.

If I had the grounds looking great last week you should see them now after the gales of the weekend and yesterday. It was that cold this evening I lit a fire to take the chill off the sitting room. Bonnie the old Border is slowly going blind but she can see the flames, she loves to get right in front and fire watch.

That’s all for now, Grass cutting all day tomorrow if it stays dry.

Regards to all, Handy.
              Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
              Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

You never know, Handy, the Lady may appreciate you more than you realise, and leave the lot to you in her will! I'll volunteer to be your cleaner if I can have the pig sty!
                If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

WOW. WOW and WOW!

I do have some pics of my sister in laws farm, will ask if she can give me permission to post them up.

Comment

Ah handy lovely pictures - love the doggy sitting in front of the fire.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                      You never know, Handy, the Lady may appreciate you more than you realise, and leave the lot to you in her will! I'll volunteer to be your cleaner if I can have the pig sty!
                      Not a chance of that happening diddles. I know where it is all going, thanks for the offer though

I remember a few years ago, I was up a ladder pruning the Virginia Creeper. The Drawing Room window was open and I could hear his Lordship discussing his will with his Solicitor.

The Solicitor asked what are you leaving your staff.
                      I'm leaving Walter the Butler Fox House, It has ten rooms said his Lordship.
                      I will leave Hargreaves the Cook the old Coach House it has 6 rooms.

What about the Handyman asked the Solicitor.
                      I'm leaving Him Sod All said his Lordship.

In my excitement I nearly fell of the ladder, I stuck my head in through the open window and asked, How many rooms does that have!

Regards all, Handy.
                      Last edited by Handyman; 27 May 2011, 09:28.
                      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Good Evening All. News from the Hall is that her Ladyships Luncheon Party seemed to go all right, I will get the full story in the morning when I go up to collect the empty bottles.
                        I'ts a shame they don't have a deposit on bottles like in the old days, I would get a bonus with all the empties.

When Lady Hooray has a spring clean its not like the ones we normal folks have. When I went up to the Hall on Saturday morning, (I'm expected to check in each morning even if I'm not working in case there is something to do, like empty the dustbin). Lady H was in the sitting room drinks cupboard, she had two unmarked decanters, does one of these have Brandy in it ?she said. I need some to put in the pudding I'm making for tomorrow. I had to have a wee nip out of both decanters, one was a 50 year old cognac and the other a very passable single malt.

I will have to go to Shiterose and get a bottle of cooking Brandy she said but first look at all these old bottles in here I will never open, they were all his Lordships. I am awash with Scotch and as you know I only drink 25 year old Bushmills.

Some of the concoctions I wouldn't even give to my worst enemy. But during the sort out she gave me a bottle of Whisky Liquer, Cider Brandy and a 12 yr old Glenfiddich.

This sort of Spring Cleaning I like.

This evening Flash the Black Lab met his first Badger, He didn't know what to make of it as it was like no animal he had ever met before. I don't know who got the bigger fright.

Problem is when male Badgers get scared they spray, pretty much like skunks. The Badger made a dash for it when I called Flash away. As I'ts too dark to bath him outside now, he has to sleep with the cat in the porch tonight. I really feel sorry for the Cat.

The Car booting went all right again this week, when you only boot occasionally your first week is always the best by week 3 you only have your Junk (Prized Belongings) left.

Still @ £160 in 3 weeks isn't bad considering Mrs Handy was buying as fast as I was selling.
                        Can't complain too much as she picked up a wonderful Limoges plate for £10.00 I haven't found one on the net for less than £60 so I will class it as a good investment.

I heard this evening that Stepson Trapfly who gave up the Circus to run a Burger Van is giving up catering and going back to the circus. I will be chasing him tomorrow to remind him about the 1K of Handy's cash his mum loaned him to get him started.

It's only a couple of months ago he was saying that as he nears 40 trapeze work was getting to much for him. I don't see how because for the first 35 years of his life he has sat on his ass, so I don't understand how he can say he has strained his body that much. Unless he means by Clubbing, Surfing going to Festivals and Dossing.

Anyway enough for now I'm off to claim my prize on last to post here.
                        Regards to all, Handy.

Comment

Handy, you better be quick to get that prize in the other room honey........., I will follow, so that means I will get there last to win the prize

Comment

Hi all. Well 10 oclock tonight before I sat down. Not only am I making up time for having Monday off, I finish work tomorrow evening for the first real holiday the Handy's have had in 10 years.
                            I have to fit 5 days + into 3 so I can go away not worrying about the explosion and hassle I always come back to from Lady H.

I have got security cover arranged and she is having family to stay while we are off so it shouldn't be so bad.

The last 3 years annual leave has been used moving or decorating for aged relations, or for baby sitting and chidbirth duties. (only get 1 week a year not strictly legal I know, but there are other rewards).

We are of to the Sea side with the grand kids, bit of a busmans holiday seeing as we are only a mile and a half from the sea at the hall.

The drawback is we also have to take DD and Sil. It's not costing them anything not even the diesel to come down here (he nicks it from work) If the freeloading scroat doesn't pay his way this time, I don't think I will be able to hold my tong.

I have heard from my Car Dealer chum, he has told me to get the repairs done and them he will consider what portion he will pay. (Something wrong with that deal )
                            I told him I have the car booked in for repair on Friday, and as we are on holiday near him I will call in at the weekend for a chat. SIL looks like a night club bouncer so he may come in usefull after all.

Son Trapfly also called, He says he will begin paying his loan back next week at £50.00 p/w.
                            But the people he rents the sandwich van from are ripping him off, so he will probably only be able to repay £150 of the 1K he owes. I wish I had asked for an F&F like that.

I asked him why he hadn't asked his father the real life loan shark for the money. His reply was I wouldn't pay him the 1500% interest he wanted. I said what would he do if you didn't pay him back, the response was silence. His real dad is in his 70's but knows a lot of guys in leather jackets and dark glasses. If you live in South Yorks, beware a chap that looks like your grand dad offering doorstep loans. Word is he will be setting up in Penzance next month.

So there we have it, not quite a rant. I am looking forward to spending time with the kiddlies.
                            I think there is WiFi where we are staying so I will keep in touch.

There are two nests of Blue tits in the drystone wall, and the Swallows are doing fine in the workshop. I found out what the Badger was doing the other evening. Next morning there was an allmighty crater at the side of one of the lawns. The Badger had dug up a hive of Ground Bees to get the Honeycomb. I filled the hole in, this morning it was dug up again, he must have come back to see if there was anymore.

Thats me for now.
                            Regards to all, Handy.

Comment

Enjoy the holiday Handy.

Going anywhere nice, or are you staying in the UK?!

Comment

Hi Swany, the Handy's are stopping Local. We gave DD the choice of somewhere on the East Coast, so they didn't need to travel. She decided she would like Somerset, as it's only 58 miles as the crow fly's that suits me as I won't have to travel too far. (no it isn't Weston Super Mud)

I have the dogs booked into the kennels for the week. I am worried about the old Chocy dog and the old border, so if there are any problems I can be back here in @ 1 1/2 hours.

The ad says, the fishing is good, the bar stocks real ale and there is an indoor swimming pool for the wee ones. I have a feeling I will be OK.

Grandson E when asked what he is going to do replied DIG. I got him a new bucket and spade just incase the old one doesn't last the week.

Regards Handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X