GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Hi all, The news isn’t good tonight, I’m afraid the Pheasant chic’s didn’t make it.
    Maybe if I had got them to a foster home sooner, but at least they got more of a chance than the Fox or the cat would have given them.

I had to run and put some Landing Lights on this evening. Let me explain.
    Our Swallows have come back and have moved into my workshop. I don’t think they have laid yet. Only one pair has taken up residence, last year there were three pairs. So I guess the others didn’t make the migration.

They are cheeky little boogers who if they think I’m taking up too much room or making too much noise dive bomb me, than sit on a beam above my bench chirping away . If I were to make a guess at what they were saying it probably would be go away in quick jerky motions.

Every evening as it gets dark I lock them in and each morning about 8, I open the doors and duck as they waiting for me and seem to take delight in getting as close as they can.

This evening I was working in the courtyard until nearly dark, I put the tools away, Thinking that the Swallows must have gone to roost turned of the workshop lights and was about to close the doors as these two avian Spitfires zoomed past me.

They had been making the best of the failing light. They must have realised I was closing up and made a dash for the door. As the lights were out I could here a furious fluttering of wings as in the dark they tried to find a safe place to land.

As this was happening Shadow the Cat who was lying in her basket in the Cottage porch (door open) Eyes closed (fibbing) suddenly leapt up and ran into the workshop. I made a dash for the light switch which luckily is on the outside wall, suddenly able to see where they were going they rose up like a pair of Harrier Jump Jets. A much chastised Cat is sleeping outside tonight.

I took these pictures last year when the young Swallows were receiving flying lessons.

Now just to put the story straight old Handy has always been one for the birds, Just that these days the feathered variety cause less grief and cost less money.

Seen on the back of a camper van in town today,

Marriage is like a Bank Account, Put it in, Take it out, Lose Interest.

Regards all, Handy.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

OMG birds/babies, just love them.

We actually have blue tits who I think now have had their young, its the first time in ten years since hubby made the bird box they have gone for it! So overjoyed.

My dad used to be a bird breeder as well of all types, love birds, cockatiels, zebra finches, budgies, and had his own birds aviary, he was so sad to had to give it up though, because of his chest disease (COPD).

And we used to keep a beautiful pet budgie in the home as well, OMG talk, dad taught him well and he was just as good as a parrot if not better, unbelievable but so true, everything dad said he copied LOL.

Comment

When we lived up in the Great Glen we used to have RAF Tornadoes fly past several times a day at warp factor 9 just a few feet off the ground. Some friends asked Mrs H to look after their Budgie. After a week it used to tell us it was a little shitzen potzen. When they took it home after two weeks, to their amazement every time a low flying Jet came over, it iused to fall of its perch and shout Barstewards at the top of it's voice. I suspect Mrs Handy may have been an influence on it.
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Keep 'em coming, Handy. Sad news about the pheasantlets but lovely news that the swallows are back.
          Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
          SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

O Handy love reading about your birds. Shame the little uns never made it - you did your best.

thanks for the weedy pathclear thing - will try that.

xx

Comment

Handy, yes I am sorry about the little uns as well, but very proud of you. X

Comment

Good Evening All. Carp finish to the day. The Car I bought 2 weeks ago and haven't driven yet is Knackered. I test drove it, did all the checks fine. The Guy I bought it from delivered it to me to save me a 140 mile round trip. I parked it up and that was it. I was waiting till the end of the month to Tax it and as my insurance is due at the same time, sort that and then put it on the road.

I thought I would run it up for an while this evening to put some charge in the battery.
                Smoke and Steam. It looks like a blown head gasket, no oil in the sump either. Looks like he ran it dry on the way down to me.

Well someones going to get a phone call in the morning. There is an easy solution, a sensible solution and he wont ever sell another car again solution. Good job I haven't sold my old one yet. If you don't hear from me for a while after this weekend It will be that I am camping on his forecourt with a placard saying don't buy from this dealer.

On a lighter note seeing as you seem to like my bird stories. One evening last April (2010) I was walking the dogs in Hooray woods when from overhead I heard an almighty screech. When I shone my torch up into the tree there was what I took to be a little Owl sat there.

Next day I was cutting the grass in the woods, I stopped the mower for a moment and there on a branch level with my head was a young Tawny Owl. A few minutes later I saw it again on the other side of the wood. It was only later that day I saw them both together a Brother and Sister Owl. They were still covered in down and could hardly fly.

Later that afternoon I saw a group of Crows(collective noun is a Murder) in the neighboring paddock, they were attacking the young female Owl. I chased them off picked her up and a few minutes later I had her in a box in my workshop.

Following advice from the local RSPCA and Hawk center I released her later that evening into the woods. I was told that the parents had the young months too early, that Tawney's normally raise young in August and that they are not good parents often leaving their young in the nearest hedge to fend for themselves.

I kept an eye on them for a few days, leaving parcels of raw meat in places where they could find it and things seemed to go alright.

Mid week the weather changed and became cold and wet. In the afternoon I had to go to the top of the woods where I keep my supply of fencing timber. The two Owls were on the same branch and the larger male had got the smaller female by the neck and was starting to eat her.

When I yelled out he let he go and she fell to the ground with an almighty thud.
                I thought she was dead, but when I picked her up she was only stunned and missing a few feathers.

Back to a box in the shed, and a phone call to my vets, who recommended a Vet in the next Village who is considered to be the Local authority on Owls and Hawks.

A phone call later and I was asked to take the Owl to another Village about 20 miles away where the chap would be working and would take care of her.

The Journey wasn't without mishap 20 mile along the narrowest of Darzets single track roads, then the front nearside brake on the jeep failed added to which it was raining.

Anyway Terry the Vet checked her out, pronounced her reasonably fit and said he would take her home, feed her up (on live Quail chicks) and when she was well enough I was to collect her, keep her in a release pen for a week or two, then let her go.

Two weeks later Terry called me. Bad news about the Owl he said. Oh no I replied she didn't make it. No he said she released herself. When I opened the Aviary this morning she shot passed me at warp factor 9, heading for the wild blue yonder.

The day after I took her to the vets we had a 2 day storm, I looked for her brother and couldn't find him. A month or so later while using the power scythe in the long grass I found his remains. The rain and cold had got to him.

I hope the female made it and has made a better job of raising her young than her parents.
                I hear Owls, Tawney, Barn and Little in Hooray woods every evening. I often wonder if one of them is mine.

Regards all, Handy.

Comment

Ahhh you are such a lovely person Handy..... all this time over these animals.

Shame about the boy owl but lets all say they the girlie one made it ok!!! (makes me feel better)

xx

Comment

Hi all, Still nothing firm with the car. I spoke to the chap this morning he said he would make it right, but didn't say what he would do to achieve it.
                    Local Garage made a space to give it a fast once over, I'ts the Valve stem seals @ £350 to sort. I still think it's a bit more than that because once you start taking an engine apart there is always something else to find.

Still we will see what he says when I call him in the morning.

It was a bit like buying a car from your Grand dad cos this chaps in his 70's, even promised to bring us a fresh trout from his own lake (but he forgot it). If he comes up with the cash for the repair I will put up the same amount and fit a replacement engine. I found one on line that comes from a rear end smash with only 38k miles. That should keep it running for another few thousand miles. If not he can have the thing back.

Apart from that everything else is ok in Handyland.

Another Bird story. While mowing the bottom lawn I had a black bird hopping along in front of the big cylinder mower. I wondered why it was doing this until I realised the vibration of the mower was bringing worms to the surface.

I have heard how Gulls and blackbirds tap dance on the ground and the worms think it is the sound of rain drops falling. The worms come up and hey presto the birdy gets a meal.

For ten minutes or more it stopped with me, all of a sudden it dived in front of the mower having spotted it's next snack. Now when the heavy mower is going it takes some stopping.
                    I missed the Black bird by inches, even the bird looked terrified. I thought it was going to be Shredded Tweet for Supper.

The Bird must have thought I got close for after it gabbed the worm and flew off it never came back.

Regards all, The Bird man of Hooray Hall.

Comment

While we are still on the subject of Handy's birds. (feathered Variety) This is one of my regular visitors to the garden. I got this photo of the little owl about this time last year. He / she lives in a hole I left in the wall of the barn conversion. Sometimes I see Screech as I call it in daytime. But most evenings at twilight it is on the ridge of the barn watching me take the dogs and cat! for their last walk.

Regards all, Handy.

Comment

Oh Handy he is stunning.

Comment

Loving the pictures Handy and well done on missing the blackbird with your mower........shredded tweet!!

And lots of love from one of Handy's older birds!!!

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                          Oh Handy he is stunning.
                          Don't tell Handy that Di, it will go to his head!!
                          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

lmao

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              Oh Handy he is stunning.
                              Originally posted by If... View Post
                              Loving the pictures Handy and well done on missing the blackbird with your mower........shredded tweet!!

And lots of love from one of Handy's older birds!!!

Don't tell Handy that Di, it will go to his head!!
                              I really should say "I know I am" but I know you mean the owl.

If, OO Er. Compared to Handy your positively a spring chicken.

It's been a long day today, fixing render on the cottage and out buildings and cutting the verges on Hooray lane, the grass, nettles and brambles have got so large you can't get a car down our single track road without scratching it.

I did the garden for my neighbor tonight as they move out tomorrow, that leaves the Fod - Scrotums with another empty property.

I still haven't had time to post up the photo's of the gardens, but I will try tomorrow.

Till then regards to all, Handy.

Comment

Hey has someone made Adventures of a Handyman a Sticky? I'd best watch my P's and Q's then. I'm scared now.

On the Car front the new engine has arrived from Oop North. My mate Hugh at the local garage can't make a start till next Friday, but Hey Ho it is worth the wait, Hugh and his lads are amongst the few mechanics I know that do a first class job without charging the earth. If they can fix a part they will while others insist it has to be replaced. Shame there are not more like them about.

I managed to get hold of my mate the car dealer today. He has offered £150 towards the cost of the repairs, he said it's a shame your not nearer I would get my garage to do the work for you. My reply was If It's the same Garage you told me you use to check all your motors before you sell them then its for the best I use one of my choosing. Best quote for the work is @ £400.

I'm not finished yet, even with the problems the rest of the car is immaculate. Sorted out properly it's a good proposition. but I think he needs to anti up a little more.

As promised here are some picy's of the garden as it was last week before 48 hours of gales.

This is the old Pig Sty, (Handy's House) not many pig sty's have Roses around the door.

3 years ago this area of Hooray woods looked like the trenches in the Somme. We buried @ 100 tons of sub soil from the extension in a dip in the ground to make this forest lawn.

My restored bench from a few weeks ago, now up by the tennis court that never gets used so that lady Hooray can rest her weary ass on her weekly walk around the grounds.

Don't think its an idyllic life, all this scenery comes at a price. Just ask my aching bones.

Mind you its worth putting up with the hassle Lady H give me to live here.

Regards all, Handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X