GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script The council tax shock of living alone - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The council tax shock of living alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The council tax shock of living alone

The council tax shock of living alone

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 18th December 2011 12:07.

Local authorities are using private companies to track down people wrongly claiming single-person discount, but the innocent are also being caught...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: The council tax shock of living alone

I was victom of this in April. My local council backdated my bill by a year because they had checked Experian and saw my daughter's bank account details at my home address and put 2 and 2 together. Wrong. She lives with her bloke elsewhere but they keep moving about so left NatWest with my place as her c/o postal address. The council haven't backed down saying that unless she or I provided them with details of her current address and proof that she was paying council tax at that address nothing would be done and I had to pay. I refused to grass her up but some how they tracked her down and issued a Magistrates Court summons for the few months she owed at her last flat when she was on Jobseekers and so didn't owe them anyway

So it's off to the Local Authority Ombudsman for me. As if I haven't already got enough on my plate right now

Comment

I'd better chase up my father's mail, too, as he still gets letters addressed to him being sent here. If anyone asks me if he's still here, I'd probably have to say that he is; if they asked if he was living here, I'd reply that he wasn't.

As far as I'm concerned, they can even get him arrested though I doubt that handcuffs will worth on him.

His ashes have been in a box in a cupboard for the last eight years.
      Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 18 December 2011, 14:27.

Comment

This is very worrying.

My 2 youngest daughters both have their bank accounts etc registered at my address for exactly the same reasons as your daughter Plan B.

I suppose if the local council check Experian, then the fact that I've got several defaults and a ccj registered against me would probably make them class me as being as high risk of committing fraud - though I've never committed fraud in my life.

Why is it that measures to stop fraud end up not catching the fraudsters but get innocent victims caught up in the red tape? (see the threads on the forum about esa as an example.)
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Because Pixie, it has been nade notoriously difficult to prove real heavy fraud. Only the little person can be convicted of fraud now. Having been a key prosecution witness (the " whistleblower") in a fraud and corruption case of yours and my money being stolen by senior doctors, company directors and Civil Servants I suspect all the way into the Cabinet Office, after 5 years of persecution (including medical care and treatment being withheld) it was suddenly announced that it was not in the "public interest" to bring prosecutions against such senior people and 6 months later it was written that there was no evidence. Besides my 28 sworn on oath pages all corroborated with documents the precis alone of the case was two full lever arch files.

So I can assure you that the fraud sytem is rigged. One page of that evidence would have convicted me of murder in the first degree in any court in any Western democracy, yet not against our ruling elite. If you can do it on a big enough scale you will be deemed innocent by the authorities.

regards
          Garlok
          Last edited by garlok; 19 December 2011, 11:49.

Comment

For another example, look at the way the Serious Farce Office cocked up the Maxwell prosecution.

Then there's Jim McCormick, the former plod who developed the somewhat ornamental and utterly useless ADE 651 'explosive detector' - link - which is just a 21st century dowsing rod and no more effective than a bent metal coat-hanger. How long is needed to bring that case to trial?

Comment

Yes CC I concur about the SFO. When the investigation that I was with was handed over by the EU investigators, who had uncovered a bag of worms beyond even my worst fears, it was handed over to a unit in Scotland Yard called SO6, Special Operations 6. The SFO had been restricted to cases of half a million or less because of the total cock up they had made of things since their inception to the those dates. never again would I be prepared to help the police or such an investigation unless we were granted a complete new identity and a new life paid for by the State.

regards
              Garlok

Comment

I think that were I old and rich I should spend my time setting up scenarios such as this farce where I could lure the authorities into exposing their stupidity and then wipe the floor with them in a very public legal hanging.

That they desire our co-operation when they show us such contempt is despicable.

Comment

I waqsn't going to post tonight due to being tired and emotional (Knackered and a little pished) but I had a quick look at this thread intending to go to bed soon.

I have been onto stepson No2 today because he let's stepson No 3 use his address for Tax and Banking as No 3 is really of no fixed abode. If the come down on him I know who will get the job of sorting it out.

Then I read Garlocks Comments about the SFO, When I worked in Power Generation ( What keeps our homes warm and the lights on) The industry was rife with multi million pound bungs, even when the whistle was blown nothing happened either under the Major Government or Blair's New Labour. Under the old CEGB all the power station managers received free holidays, education and computers for the kids, extension on their homes and so on. The Companies involved were National names. The ones who gave the most bungs got the contracts. Then the Mian contractor would tell the Subs how much to tender for (normally @20% more than the job was worth) Then some gopher would meet the MD of the company (I know cos I was that man) in a lay by on the A1 wish a Christmas box. I honestly thought if was a case of fizz, I later learned that what was in there in used notes would have given me a comfortable life.

Eventually one MD was done, not for skimming but for running a slush fund within his own company and using the names of other employees to avoid Tax on perks, (plus the board wanted shut of him) he got 3 years in an open nick.

Now this went so high I cannot believe the Government of the day were not aware of it. Even certain Union Firebrands were known to become complacent after certain meetings.

My involvement was over ten years ago, I find it hard to believe that even though the Power Industry in now entirely in Private hands these practices have ceased as those in middle management already tainted by graft are now the people running the industry.

Regards all, a much more sober Handy
                  Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                  Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I am just so angry reading your posts garlok and Handy - not at you, I hasten to add, but at the 'powers that be'
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Don't get angry Pixie, it raises blood pressure. It just demonstrates the total lack of ethics and standards that this country has sunk to. Mrs G and I and all that we went through (and still it raises its ugly head from time to time even now and we have letters from the Met Police to show to any health care wallah that tries it on) which included having to move house three times and much much more is not uncommon sadly. In fact I would say that it has become the norm.

I see some of these very people, who were involved, on the television piously standing in places like Westminster Abbey etc. and hope that the Almighty will strike them down with lightning or worse. We came to accept that there is no real justice here in Britain and that it is the most corrupt country in the world.

I remember a quotation from John Le Carre, (Major David Cornwell) who for a time was a tutor at Eton:-

"The last breeding ground of the true savage is the English public school."

How true is that!

Changing my name and political leanings to that of Strenlikov in Pasternak's book Dr Zhivago, i.e. machine gun 'em all, burn 'em out. l

regards
                      Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                        Changing my name and political leanings to that of Strenlikov in Pasternak's book Dr Zhivago, i.e. machine gun 'em all, burn 'em out. l
                        I suppose that's better than "Ivor Nakerov".

Corruption is, however, hardly new - I've known for over 40 years that it was (and probably still is) rife within the Post Office.

Comment

Corrupt you aint joking the latest headline in the Daily Mail strikes an accord

BIG FIRMS LET OFF £25B IN TAXES.

The tip of one massive iceberg no doubt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sed-penny.html
                          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 20 December 2011, 10:46.

Comment

My father towards the end of the 1960s, my father bought a scale payment, town sub-post-office; strictly speaking, he bought the business attached to the Post Office, as the appointment of the postmaster was up to Post Office Counter Services. He was advised by the departing postmaster to send a case of whisky every year to Post Office Counters if he didn't want any trouble...

This he did not do and, before long, he duly started to experience difficulties. Every so often - typically once or twice a year - the Post Office auditors would descend on the shop and they'd 'audit' the Post Office accounts. They would always find a 'shortage' (typically £50 - £100) on the cash side which, of course, my father was obliged to 'make good' from his own pocket; at the end of the week balance of accounts, it became evident what had happened - the stock had been inflated in some way, perhaps by the 'auditors' miscounting the postal orders or misstating the stock of postage stamps.

After about a decade of this, they decided they'd prefer a new postmaster who might be more profitable or more fun, so they tried to manufacture evidence suggesting my father had stolen a large sum of money from a remittance to the main Post Office. He hadn't, of course, but the mistreatment he received by those buggers made him decide to quit.

About a year later, just a day or two before we were to drive off on holiday, I took a 'phone call. It was from the jerk who had been one of my father's principal tormentors from Counter Services and he wanted my father to call him regarding an alleged discrepancy that have only just come to light. I replied that it was not convenient at the time and nor would it have been convenient for father to dally attendance on the aforesaid jerk but, if he would care to put it in writing and submit a copy of the evidence, my father would be able to examine it in due course.

"I'm not sure we can do that!", retorted the jerk. "There's the Official Secrets Act to think about!"

"Have you ever read the Official Secrets Acts?" I replied. "Well, I have and I can tell you that they are just as binding whether or not one signs a statement concerning some of their terms. That's why I'm quite sure you could put a photocopy of this alleged evidence in the post!"

Father died some years ago, yet that jerk at Post Office Counters never did write to him.

Comment

Working...
                            X