GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Fees within terms and conditions - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fees within terms and conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fees within terms and conditions

Just a question but I am sure it will be of use.
    I know the oft ruled on credit card charges some time ago, was it 2006 ?

Anyway I know prior to that these charges could be pretty much anything the CC company wanted and I know so e were 25 or 30 and I guess some were much lower. However is there a date after the charges HAD to be £12 or did that happen over a period of time .

I have read an OFT press release which seems to indicate 31st May 2006

If that is so then a cca request for an agreement after that date would be wrong if it showed greater charges ?

Re: Fees within terms and conditions

Originally posted by jj19 View Post
    If that is so then a cca request for an agreement after that date would be wrong if it showed greater charges ?
    No. The original T&Cs would have to show the higher charges for it to be correct. The current / newer T&Cs would have to show the lower ones for those to be correct.

I assume you mean form your post (as its not clear to me) that you are speaking about an agreement that was entered into BEFORE the ruling on charges.?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The test case on charges was lost/abandoned by the OFT. In November 2009, after the OFT beat the banks in the High Court and Court of Appeal, a shock technical ruling from the Supreme Court overturned this and the OFT walked.

(http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updat...9#.Uv9SxHggHCQ <-- link)

it was 2009.

That said, it was generally agreed by the main lenders that they'd cap charges to £12. It was never statute or ordered hence some lenders did it, some didn't & some didn't at the time but have now (dropped to £12 charge). Basically there's no date from as it was never forced. It was an option taken by a lot of lenders.

To comply with s.78 the lender must supply terms as at inception plus any variations. So if they now charge £12 but your terms show £25 that's fine (As per Carey / Recon) - If they send terms purporting to be originals with a £12 charge then it's likely to be UE as these might be a variation set of terms and not the originals.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks. I think I get it.
        Sorry for credit cards even though the press release from the oft was 5th April 2006 an agreement signed in say July 2006 could still have charges of £25 on the initial agreement .

However if I sent a cca request to that lender I should also get a set of varied terms and conditions with £12 charges on.

Just to confirm , I am talking about credit card fees and not bank charges as that link seems to be about bank charges.

Comment

The credit card charges was 31st May 2006. Sorry mate, thought it was bank charges (doh!!).

See this -> http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updat...6#.Uv9b9nggHCQ

So yes you're correct in that anything from <- 2006 should show £25+ as default charges whilst anything from -> 2006 should reflect the oft decision and show £12 default charges.

If you do a s.78 you'd expect to receive the original terms plus any variations, obviously there will be a new set of terms (variable) from late 2006 onwards as a result of the oft decision. That said Carey affects things and thus if they send you the original terms they only need to send a current set to comply. They do not need to supply all variable terms throughout the account life cycle.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X